Oil and grease removal

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backlash

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have 2 pairs of jeans that I wear when working on my tractor and other things around the place. They get a lot of oil and grease on them. Yesterday I decided to see if I could get them clean.
First I used Oxyclean gel and a scrub brush, then I soaked them in powered Oxyclean and hot water for about 30 minutes. Then I washed them like normal.
Every single oil and grease stain came out. Some of the stains had been there for almost a year and had been through the washer and dryer a lot.
My wife was impressed because she thought they were a total loss.
They are so clean I almost hate to wear them working on greasy stuff.
I will admit there are some places that are a little less blue so be careful if you use this method.

I use Dawn. I rub it into the stain, full strength. It may take a couple of washings but usually one does it. Most often the second wash is to take care of the light ones that you missed the first time around.

I sat in really black yucky engine grime once because it was night time. My wife ran my jeans thru the washer with pinesol " covid cure" and it took it all out.

Disclaimer. If you are stupid enough to try pinesol to cure a disease I guess your lawyer can call mine.

I use Dawn. I rub it into the stain, full strength. It may take a couple of washings but usually one does it. Most often the second wash is to take care of the light ones that you missed the first time around.
Be very careful.
You may find yourself looking down at a bright shiny certification form that says: "Certified Laundry Worker" - with additional excellence proven in stain removal.
There are some jobs you may not want to be excellent at.
And to get to level - 9, don't break out something called Brakeklean (formerly known as dry- cleaning fluid).
You'll have a full-time job whether you want it or not.

Be very careful.
You may find yourself looking down at a bright shiny certification form that says: "Certified Laundry Worker" - with additional excellence proven in stain removal.
There are some jobs you may not want to be excellent at.
And to get to level - 9, don't break out something called Brakeklean (formerly known as dry- cleaning fluid).
You'll have a full-time job whether you want it or not.
Don't worry, I never do this while she is around. Besides I separate clothes by clean and dirty. I drives her nuts.

I too use Oxyclean as well as Dawn.
I also found that rubbing GoJo or Fast Orange hand degreaser works very well. Works better than the others on tar or similar.

If you need heavy duty, use a squirt of gojo and one of dish soap mixed together. Don't get your hands or clothes wet before doing this as water somehow messes up the action.

This mix will melt the worst shop grease effortlessly without being hard on stuff. It even gets all the grease out of the cracks and crannies of your hands without any scrubbing. I keep big jugs of both side by side. One set in the house and one set out in the garage.

I have wondered about getting grease stains out of clothes. I have tried using Dawn straight out of the bottle on them and rub it in. I didn't think about Oxyclean. I do soak really dirty clothes, depending on what is going on. I have put something in the washing machine, let it agitate for a while and then let it set for a while. Soaking any dirty clothing helps to release the dirt.

I've used Gojo with good results in the past - stains don't really bother me as long as the clothes are "clean" and not falling apart. We wear our clothes out probably a little quicker than most. Hubby of course can make short order of a new shirt or pants by catching them on fire the first wearing. 🤪

Back