Quantcast

OK, my Wife just read about someone that got........................

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Curmudgeon

Malinois' are awesome.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
an electric pressure cooker for Christmas.

Anyone here have one? If so how do you like it? Does it work well?

Double R

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have 2 in different sizes. So does sister and mom. We use the heck outta them. Especially love you can put frozen meat in it and cook it fast for them days when I didn’t plan well.

Curmudgeon

Malinois' are awesome.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter

Curmudgeon

Malinois' are awesome.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Love ours! Cook a pot of beans or a roast in an hour.
I think that is what we have. If it's the same thing, then no, canning would be out of the question.

zannej

Procrastinator
Neighbor
We have 2 electric pressure cookers. Both Farberware brand and they are great. a 6qt and an 8qt. We make rice in one while making beans, stew, soup, etc in the other. My brother makes pork ribs, pork chops, and even cake in the pressure cooker. The ones we have are combo units with multiple features. Not all pressure cookers are created equal. I've heard they have some now that have an air fryer lid.

backlash

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Instantpot spaghetti. I might have to have this again tonight.
Instant Pot spaghetti is way easier, faster, and, arguably, tastier than the version you make on the stovetop. It’s almost entirely hands-off; there’s no constant stirring or waiting for a big pot of water to boil. Instead, after quickly browning some beef directly in the Instant Pot, you’ll just toss in a jar of marinara sauce, a little water, and the dry spaghetti. In about 20 minutes of cooking (yes, including bringing the pot to pressure) actual magic happens: The meat becomes tender and the pasta lends its starch to the sauce, making the most luxurious version of this weeknight classic that you could ever dream of.
How To Make Instant Pot Spaghetti

Curmudgeon

Malinois' are awesome.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I like basketti as my Granddaughter says, I may have to try that.

hashbrown

Peckerwood
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We have 2 electric pressure cookers. Both Farberware brand and they are great. a 6qt and an 8qt. We make rice in one while making beans, stew, soup, etc in the other. My brother makes pork ribs, pork chops, and even cake in the pressure cooker. The ones we have are combo units with multiple features. Not all pressure cookers are created equal. I've heard they have some now that have an air fryer lid.
The one we have has the air fryer lid, its a hand contraption!

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I am withhashbrown .
DW loves hers almost as much as her crockpot slow cooker, for the same reason they save time. The cooker cooks fast & its over, dry beans in minutes, not hours. The slow cooker you fill, set & forget.

Solar Geek

Friend
Neighbor
Ok here goes. Yes I have the ETL approved Nesco/Carey 9.5 qt Electric Pressure Canner (and of course a cooker). It has been tested. Lots of info on the internet about ETL (Edison Testing Lab, the brother of UL, Underwriters Lab which we all know). LG Appliances Microwaves and Refrigerators are also fully tested by ETL.

I love mine. Ordered my 2nd on yesterday as I want to do so much more and just cannot lift the big giant canners and have a glass top stove not approved for any large canners).

Just finished making chicken soup while using the Instant Pot to cook the 6 lbs of ground beef (80/20) I got for $1.99 a lb! I will be canning up the seasoned ground beef (kind of in chunks as I didn't want tiny grains of meat) today with some broth.

You basically watch a video, and push a few buttons. I spent 4 months reading and researching this thing (BTW Presto just got theirs back in stock). I will say since I never pressure canned, I then had to spend a lot of time reading recipes/learning the craft.

NO other electric canner models but the Nesco/Carey (f/k/a Chard, bought out by Carey and now bought out by Nesco) and the Presto are tested and safe by any lab. And the USDA still won't test these two but I actually trust ETL over USDA.

I know some may jump on me but here is a post with links, lots of links that has just part of my researchl last fall.

Hope this helps.
"I ended up buying the NESCO Electric Pressure Cooker and Canner.
X inspired me. F/K/A Chard, then Carey now Nesco Electric pressure canner/cooker Pressure canning here I come.

Bought during prime dsys BUT got Wayfair which was only $119 not the $184 + $30 shipping and tax on Amazon.

As you may expect, I did a massive amount of research on this product. For some reason the US is lagging behind Canada in researching and providing for the safety of electric pressure canning. Just as it was behind Canada in the electric pressure cooking.

The canner is approved by ETL which is the same as UL listing in North America.
info.triadmagnetics.com/blog/ul-certification-vs.-etl-certification

www.cbs17.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/29/2019/10/Technical-Article-UL_vs_ETL-1.pdf

www.mpofcinci.com/blog/etl-vs-nsf-certification-whats-the-difference/
Anyhow I think it comes tomorrow or the next day so I’m very excited."

CalicoKatie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Ok here goes. Yes I have the ETL approved Nesco/Carey 9.5 qt Electric Pressure Canner (and of course a cooker). It has been tested. Lots of info on the internet about ETL (Edison Testing Lab, the brother of UL, Underwriters Lab which we all know). LG Appliances Microwaves and Refrigerators are also fully tested by ETL. ...
Thanks for the info, Solar Geek! I'm interested in this now that more people are using them and there's feedback. It holds 4 qts., 5 pints or 16 four oz. jars and also does waterbath canning.. That works fine for me because I do small batches. I read through some of the reviews to see the negatives as well as the postives and the majority are positive. I'm going to ponder it for a while and might end up getting one this summer if they're available.

Amazon.com: NESCO NPC-9 Smart Pressure Canner and Cooker, 9.5 quart, Stainless Steel: Kitchen & Dining

zannej

Procrastinator
Neighbor
Thanks for the recipe link, backlash! I'm running that by my brother to see if he can make it in our pressure cooker.

Latest posts