OK, my Wife just read about someone that got........................

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curmudgeon

In Remembrance Jan 2024
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
an electric pressure cooker for Christmas.

Anyone here have one? If so how do you like it? Does it work well?

Love ours! Cook a pot of beans or a roast in an hour.

I think that is what we have. If it's the same thing, then no, canning would be out of the question.

We have 2 electric pressure cookers. Both Farberware brand and they are great. a 6qt and an 8qt. We make rice in one while making beans, stew, soup, etc in the other. My brother makes pork ribs, pork chops, and even cake in the pressure cooker. The ones we have are combo units with multiple features. Not all pressure cookers are created equal. I've heard they have some now that have an air fryer lid.

Instantpot spaghetti. I might have to have this again tonight.
Instant Pot spaghetti is way easier, faster, and, arguably, tastier than the version you make on the stovetop. It’s almost entirely hands-off; there’s no constant stirring or waiting for a big pot of water to boil. Instead, after quickly browning some beef directly in the Instant Pot, you’ll just toss in a jar of marinara sauce, a little water, and the dry spaghetti. In about 20 minutes of cooking (yes, including bringing the pot to pressure) actual magic happens: The meat becomes tender and the pasta lends its starch to the sauce, making the most luxurious version of this weeknight classic that you could ever dream of.
How To Make Instant Pot Spaghetti

We have 2 electric pressure cookers. Both Farberware brand and they are great. a 6qt and an 8qt. We make rice in one while making beans, stew, soup, etc in the other. My brother makes pork ribs, pork chops, and even cake in the pressure cooker. The ones we have are combo units with multiple features. Not all pressure cookers are created equal. I've heard they have some now that have an air fryer lid.

The one we have has the air fryer lid, its a hand contraption!

I am withhashbrown .
DW loves hers almost as much as her crockpot slow cooker, for the same reason they save time. The cooker cooks fast & its over, dry beans in minutes, not hours. The slow cooker you fill, set & forget.

Ok here goes. Yes I have the ETL approved Nesco/Carey 9.5 qt Electric Pressure Canner (and of course a cooker). It has been tested. Lots of info on the internet about ETL (Edison Testing Lab, the brother of UL, Underwriters Lab which we all know). LG Appliances Microwaves and Refrigerators are also fully tested by ETL.

I love mine. Ordered my 2nd on yesterday as I want to do so much more and just cannot lift the big giant canners and have a glass top stove not approved for any large canners).

Just finished making chicken soup while using the Instant Pot to cook the 6 lbs of ground beef (80/20) I got for $1.99 a lb! I will be canning up the seasoned ground beef (kind of in chunks as I didn't want tiny grains of meat) today with some broth.

You basically watch a video, and push a few buttons. I spent 4 months reading and researching this thing (BTW Presto just got theirs back in stock). I will say since I never pressure canned, I then had to spend a lot of time reading recipes/learning the craft.

NO other electric canner models but the Nesco/Carey (f/k/a Chard, bought out by Carey and now bought out by Nesco) and the Presto are tested and safe by any lab. And the USDA still won't test these two but I actually trust ETL over USDA.

I know some may jump on me but here is a post with links, lots of links that has just part of my researchl last fall.

Hope this helps.
"I ended up buying the NESCO Electric Pressure Cooker and Canner.
X inspired me. F/K/A Chard, then Carey now Nesco Electric pressure canner/cooker Pressure canning here I come.

Bought during prime dsys BUT got Wayfair which was only $119 not the $184 + $30 shipping and tax on Amazon.

As you may expect, I did a massive amount of research on this product. For some reason the US is lagging behind Canada in researching and providing for the safety of electric pressure canning. Just as it was behind Canada in the electric pressure cooking.

The canner is approved by ETL which is the same as UL listing in North America.
info.triadmagnetics.com/blog/ul-certification-vs.-etl-certification

www.cbs17.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/29/2019/10/Technical-Article-UL_vs_ETL-1.pdf

www.mpofcinci.com/blog/etl-vs-nsf-certification-whats-the-difference/
Anyhow I think it comes tomorrow or the next day so I’m very excited."

Ok here goes. Yes I have the ETL approved Nesco/Carey 9.5 qt Electric Pressure Canner (and of course a cooker). It has been tested. Lots of info on the internet about ETL (Edison Testing Lab, the brother of UL, Underwriters Lab which we all know). LG Appliances Microwaves and Refrigerators are also fully tested by ETL. ...

Thanks for the info, Solar Geek! I'm interested in this now that more people are using them and there's feedback. It holds 4 qts., 5 pints or 16 four oz. jars and also does waterbath canning.. That works fine for me because I do small batches. I read through some of the reviews to see the negatives as well as the postives and the majority are positive. I'm going to ponder it for a while and might end up getting one this summer if they're available.

Amazon.com: NESCO NPC-9 Smart Pressure Canner and Cooker, 9.5 quart, Stainless Steel: Kitchen & Dining

Thanks for the recipe link, backlash! I'm running that by my brother to see if he can make it in our pressure cooker.

I love mine.
Big pot of beans 35 minutes.
5 pounds of roast,potatoes,carrots,mushrooms(quartered),celery,wine etc 45 minutes fork tender.
This is from freezer straight into pressure cooker / canner.

Last edited:

The first pressure cooker I owned was an electric one in 1975. Worked great for nutrious and delicious fast meal when camping plugged into power at camp grounds.

It is the seal, if you have doubt, replace your seal.

Well, we did cook a roast, taters, carrots and a couple sweet onions. Fast cooking time for sure and it was very good except for the carrots. They tasted like and had the texture of hospital carrots, lol.

Yeah, I'll just do them separate next time. Everything else was great and it was done in 50 minutes. I like my carrots a little firm, and while they still taste like carrots, lol.

I finally gave in and bought an Instant Pot yesterday.

I have a question for those of you that own one of these contraptions: I'm thinking the first dish I will try is beef stroganoff. The recipe says "add noodles". Does that mean dry, uncooked noodles? Or cooked noodles?

BEEF STROGANOFF

Beef stroganoff is the ultimate cold weather dinner. Usually, dishes this hearty take hours of simmering or braising, but not ours. With a few flavor-building tips, you’re less than an hour away from perfect stroganoff, which makes it perfect for weeknights.

PREP 10 MIN | COOK 30 MIN | QUICK RELEASE

INGREDIENTS

1/3 cup flour
2 teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 pounds chuck roast or stew meat cubed
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion sliced
8 ounces mushrooms sliced
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup cooking sherry
3 cups low-sodium beef broth
1 (12-ounce) package wide egg noodles
3/4 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and nutmeg. Pat beef dry with paper towels and add to the flour mixture in the bowl; toss to coat.
Set Instant Pot to Sauté, add vegetable oil and brown the meat on all sides. Meat will not be cooked through. Transfer browned meat onto a plate.
Add onion and mushrooms, cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5-6 minutes.
Stir in sherry and red wine, deglaze the bottom of the pot.
Stir in beef broth and return beef to Instant Pot.
Cover and seal the lid, Select Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 12 minutes. When finished, Quick Release the pressure before removing the lid.
Add the egg noodles. Cover and seal the lid, turn the vent to sealing. Press the Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 5 minutes. When finished, quick-release the pressure.
Stir in sour cream and parsley and season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Since the list of ingredients just says noodles and does not specify cooked noodles, and the pressure is released to add the noodles and then the lid is replaced for five more minutes of cooking at high pressure cooking, it is safe to say, add the noodles uncooked.

That long run on sentence was just to let you know how to interpret recipe instructions and hope you get it right. You will know if you don't.

my instant pot didn't come with recipes. you have to down load an app for your phone. so stupid. I don't use my phone to cook with. they're idiots. and theres no way to get the recipes from their website.
Been looking for free cookbooks for instant pots but haven't come across any

Back