OK, time to show my ignorance again....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously though… Dad and I grew peaches commercially. High producing commercial peach varieties that are weak against disease are grafted onto peach root stocks that are highly resistant to diseases. Best of both worlds is the theory. Of course, it never works out that way, it creates a whole new set of problems.

That said, peaches, plums, apples and cherries are in the rose family (Rosaceae), more closely related to roses than oak trees. Why not bring your sweet heart an apple bouquet on Valentine’s day? Of course, you’d have to spit the seeds out… :)

Last edited:
A bit about history… All of these trees contain hydrocyanic acid, when ingested in the body it becomes cyanide. 100 years ago, people with a bad cough went to the drug store and asked for cyanide water or cherry water. See, Cherry trees contain the highest concentrations of hydrocyanic acid. It's why most herbal remedies for coughs contain the inner bark of cherry trees.

For decades, commercially produced cough syrup contained cyanide, in the early years it was produced from cherry trees. Cyanide is a suppressant, it suppresses chest muscles and therefore coughs.

To this day cough syrup at the store is cherry flavored… It no longer contains cyanide but there you go! :)

Last edited:
Ive seen these trees. Usually apple are diffvarieties on one tree and pitted fruits ( plums, peaches) on another. I haven't seen apples with peaches however. I've also seen variety cheery trees. I've thought. About purchasing one to see what they are about. But I'm sure I'd kill it

Haven’t tried it myself but growing fruit trees espalier looks like it could save a lot of space.. what’s espalier ... here’s a link to get you started https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espalier

es·pal·ier
əsˈpalyər,esˈpälyər,esˈpalyā/
noun
  1. 1.
    a fruit tree or ornamental shrub whose branches are trained to grow flat against a wall, supported on a lattice or a framework of stakes.
verb
  1. 1.
    train (a tree or shrub) to grow flat against a wall.
Kinda like a "lignum!" You gotta get up REAL early, BOB...and even then, yer gonna be "tardius!!" You have a good one!! :green man:

Haven’t tried it myself but growing fruit trees espalier looks like it could save a lot of space.. what’s espalier ... here’s a link to get you started https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espalier

B.O.B. , thanks for the link, it is very interesting and something I had not known about. Since I had planed on a ten foot high wall, now I can use it to grow fruit trees. Super idea.

es·pal·ier
əsˈpalyər,esˈpälyər,esˈpalyā/
noun
  1. 1.
    a fruit tree or ornamental shrub whose branches are trained to grow flat against a wall, supported on a lattice or a framework of stakes.
verb
  1. 1.
    train (a tree or shrub) to grow flat against a wall.
Kinda like a "lignum!" You gotta get up REAL early, BOB...and even then, yer gonna be "tardius!!" You have a good one!! :green man:

melior tardius quam non numquam.

You have a good night be as well

B.O.B. , thanks for the link, it is very interesting and something I had not known about. Since I had planed on a ten foot high wall, now I can use it to grow fruit trees. Super idea.
I Saw them In Europe years ago and they have always fascinated be just never had the right time or place to try it

Not all tree graft to any other tree.
Compatible Fruit Tree Grafting
87797869_XS.jpg

Related Articles

Fruit trees of the same genus but different varieties are compatible for grafting. Grafting joins a lower rootstock portion of a fruit tree with the scion portion of another variety of fruit tree. Rootstocks of dwarf or semi-dwarf trees are often grafted onto standard growth trees to create manageable trees for the home orchard. Semi-dwarf rootstock is most frequently used as graft material, producing trees 12 to 18 feet in height.

Compatible Varieties
Nearly all citrus varieties are compatible with each other for grafting. Any two varieties of fruit trees in the Prunus genus such as apple, cherry, and plums also do well when grafted together. European pear (Pyrus communis) rootstock is compatible with other varieties of European and Asian pear( Pyrus calleryana, P.ussuriensis). Peach (Prunus persica) rootstock is compatible with other varieties of peach, nectarine (P. persica var. nectarine), European plum (Prunus domestica), plumcot (P. domestica x armenica) and apricot (Prunus armeniaca). Quince (Cydonia oblonga) is compatible with all varieties of quince, pear and loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) trees.

Choosing Rootstock and Scion
The best rootstock to use for grafting is one year old with a diameter of approximately three-eighths inch. Rootstock diameters over one-half inch are likely to send up sprouts of growth from underground, rather than unite with the scion. Select pencil-thick and pencil-length fruit tree scions taken from the parent tree during its dormancy to use for cleft grafting.

The Mechanics of Grafting
Grafting is successful when the living tissue layer, or cambium, of the rootstock and the scion grow together. Clean, sharp tools help prevent the spread of disease into the raw grafting cuts. The living tissue must also be kept clean and protected after it is grafted. There are many methods of grafting, but cleft grafting is most frequently used by beginning grafters. A scion branch cut on the diagonal is inserted into a straight-cut rootstock with a split in the middle. A sloping cut is made on each side of the scion, matching the cambium tissue as it is inserted into the rootstock.

Care of the Graft
Proper care of the grafted area is essential to successfully join the portions of tree. The cambium tissue begins to grow together when it is protected from disease and weather by wrapping it with nurseryman's tape. All exposed surfaces of the graft are covered with the tape, except the area where the scion is inserted and the scion itself. Pruning paint applied to exposed surfaces, including the wrapped area, will further protect the graft wound. Polymer paints are not recommended, because the chemical content interferes with graft wound healing. This secure covering and protection are left for three months and then removed.

An interesting thing happened here a few years ago.
The local orchard supply place sent farmers a bill for all the fruit trees the farmers had grown from the original trees..
There reasoning was they owned the patent for those trees and anyone that grew more trees from the originals were in violation of their patent.
Unless the farmer had a receipt for the new trees he was liable in some cases for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
http://www.davewilson.com/plant-patents-and-trademarks

Not all tree graft to any other tree.
Compatible Fruit Tree Grafting
87797869_XS.jpg

Related Articles

Fruit trees of the same genus but different varieties are compatible for grafting. Grafting joins a lower rootstock portion of a fruit tree with the scion portion of another variety of fruit tree. Rootstocks of dwarf or semi-dwarf trees are often grafted onto standard growth trees to create manageable trees for the home orchard. Semi-dwarf rootstock is most frequently used as graft material, producing trees 12 to 18 feet in height.

Compatible Varieties
Nearly all citrus varieties are compatible with each other for grafting. Any two varieties of fruit trees in the Prunus genus such as apple, cherry, and plums also do well when grafted together. European pear (Pyrus communis) rootstock is compatible with other varieties of European and Asian pear( Pyrus calleryana, P.ussuriensis). Peach (Prunus persica) rootstock is compatible with other varieties of peach, nectarine (P. persica var. nectarine), European plum (Prunus domestica), plumcot (P. domestica x armenica) and apricot (Prunus armeniaca). Quince (Cydonia oblonga) is compatible with all varieties of quince, pear and loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) trees.

Choosing Rootstock and Scion
The best rootstock to use for grafting is one year old with a diameter of approximately three-eighths inch. Rootstock diameters over one-half inch are likely to send up sprouts of growth from underground, rather than unite with the scion. Select pencil-thick and pencil-length fruit tree scions taken from the parent tree during its dormancy to use for cleft grafting.

The Mechanics of Grafting
Grafting is successful when the living tissue layer, or cambium, of the rootstock and the scion grow together. Clean, sharp tools help prevent the spread of disease into the raw grafting cuts. The living tissue must also be kept clean and protected after it is grafted. There are many methods of grafting, but cleft grafting is most frequently used by beginning grafters. A scion branch cut on the diagonal is inserted into a straight-cut rootstock with a split in the middle. A sloping cut is made on each side of the scion, matching the cambium tissue as it is inserted into the rootstock.

Care of the Graft
Proper care of the grafted area is essential to successfully join the portions of tree. The cambium tissue begins to grow together when it is protected from disease and weather by wrapping it with nurseryman's tape. All exposed surfaces of the graft are covered with the tape, except the area where the scion is inserted and the scion itself. Pruning paint applied to exposed surfaces, including the wrapped area, will further protect the graft wound. Polymer paints are not recommended, because the chemical content interferes with graft wound healing. This secure covering and protection are left for three months and then removed.

Thank you much, good info & links.

An interesting thing happened here a few years ago.
The local orchard supply place sent farmers a bill for all the fruit trees the farmers had grown from the original trees..
There reasoning was they owned the patent for those trees and anyone that grew more trees from the originals were in violation of their patent.
Unless the farmer had a receipt for the new trees he was liable in some cases for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
http://www.davewilson.com/plant-patents-and-trademarks

That sucks!

Latest posts

Back