Ol iron

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I like older cars n trucks. We have a 41 Farmall H, runs perfectly. 59 international
B800 old lineman truck made for installing power poles n winching in power lines. I have the 24" auger to. Runs good. 59 case backhoe. 72 ford 800 series boom truck. My 76 ford 250. Beautiful wife 79 El Camino. I've been playing with a 69 ford ranchero, garage sale find. 1000 bucks. Less than 22,000 miles. 302, I suspect that it's built, with a 4 speed transmission. When myself beautiful wife drives this she will want to. Raven black paint looks great.
Along with 15-20 snogos n wheelers. Lawn tractors, mowers n such. Probably too much for some folks, but this is nice stuff. I'll probably start fixing up n flipping some. The boom truck would work great at the mining site, drill test holes, run hydrolics. And who doesn't want a 69 ranchero with a hot engine n 4 speed, black. The 76 F-250 is mine. Figure I can spend a couple thousand more n get a good body on it. I've rebuilt the engine already. Have a new torque converter to install next couple weeks. By myself.
Hey is it just me ?

Old iron almost always can be made to run without all the electronic crap on everything these days. 1969 deuce and a half, 1970-71 Cat D4, and a 2006 non electronic diesel tractor that covers my will always run stuff then I have several 80's ford F series trucks and a bunch of other junk.

I kept my 82 S-10 running for 25 years and 378,000 miles
I rebuilt the little 4 cylinder twice, and replaced a whole lot of other parts. Including body panels.

My next project is to get my 1988 F-150 fired up. I parked it in 2007 when I bought my new GMC. It’s got a 302 V-8 and 5 speed manual. I can leave it fuel injection or put a 4 barrel on it. Haven’t decided yet.

I like older cars n trucks. We have a 41 Farmall H, runs perfectly. 59 international
B800 old lineman truck made for installing power poles n winching in power lines. I have the 24" auger to. Runs good. 59 case backhoe. 72 ford 800 series boom truck. My 76 ford 250. Beautiful wife 79 El Camino. I've been playing with a 69 ford ranchero, garage sale find. 1000 bucks. Less than 22,000 miles. 302, I suspect that it's built, with a 4 speed transmission. When myself beautiful wife drives this she will want to. Raven black paint looks great.
Along with 15-20 snogos n wheelers. Lawn tractors, mowers n such. Probably too much for some folks, but this is nice stuff. I'll probably start fixing up n flipping some. The boom truck would work great at the mining site, drill test holes, run hydrolics. And who doesn't want a 69 ranchero with a hot engine n 4 speed, black. The 76 F-250 is mine. Figure I can spend a couple thousand more n get a good body on it. I've rebuilt the engine already. Have a new torque converter to install next couple weeks. By myself.
Hey is it just me ?
Sounds like you have a wrecking yard. Just the kind of place that I could spend a lot of time at.

There is an old iron show each year in a town not too far off.
Kinda fun to see some of the old machinery and figure out how it worked etc.
1698100408006.png
1698100420056.png
1698100441197.png

My problem is with older iron is that once I get started redooin I have difficulty knowing when to call it good enuf , drive it and have fun.
I've burnt meself out moo than onced.
On certain projects I get afflicted with an OCD, I've been workin on that lately.

I kind of have a thing for older guns and knives to go along with my cars.
I miss my old Caprice Classic lowrider with the T-top, beauty rims, and mudflaps.

Everyone likes old knives n guns, n old iron don't they ? No we don't have a junk yard, my opinion. We did homeschool n collect a few rigs from kids. But mostly my ol stuff. Hey I have the room and I like to look at it. And use it. Beautiful wife wants to move a late 40s case tractor out of the current front yard to the new house front yard. So it's not just me. And she likes the 73 speedex mini tractor. I promised my uncle that I would try to keep the Farmall in the family.
I'll probably flip a few. That has been a plan. I enjoy the cars n trucks. The snogos are fun and work. We need them to get out to our cabin. Hauling freight n such. I like to go cruising too. And I'll take the grandkids now. We like to try n stay active outside in the winter too, well I do anyhows. Wheelers are workers mainly. But we do enjoy packing up the family in a trailer n such. Just get out. Kids will run the dogs.
I should probably just dump it all but eh. And trucks like a 69 ranchero with low miles n 4 speed can be very valuable. I'm kinda hoping to trade out drywall n taping, painting for this rig. On our new home.
And we don't have a government that tells us what we can keep on or do on our land. No rules except 1 family.
Also have 5-6 tool boxes full of stuff to rebuild engines or fix anything else. Our kids n grandkids will never have to buy any tools. We don't need to have a garage sale n sell everything for nothing. Family will use it, maybe. I know I have a couple young boys that love wheelers snogos n engines. And I have the opportunity to be able to teach them.
For me, a perfect situation
A couple pictures for fun. I mount a plow blade in the bucket of the backhoe and use it to plow snow. It has down force so digs out. And it stacks it high

Attachments

• 20210609_082628.jpg
    20210609_082628.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230711_182548 (1).jpg
    20230711_182548 (1).jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230711_181718.jpg
    20230711_181718.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230711_181140.jpg
    20230711_181140.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 360E7187-1BC7-4641-B7B7-8FA94127C258.jpeg
    360E7187-1BC7-4641-B7B7-8FA94127C258.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 0
I’ve been an old iron guy my entire life. I’ve noticed as I get older the old iron doesn’t look as shiny anymore. I’ve messed with junk long enough know what it takes to fix it and keep it going. I still like looking at it but I’m not so quick to bring it home these days. That being said I still won’t ride a Harley newer than a Shovelhead.😁

I liked that line... old iron doesn’t look as shiny anymore! It's not for me. Worked on equipment of some type my whole life, lived for it. Didn't want to do anything else. In 2013 i backwards converted a 5L throttle body in my silverado to a old fashioned carb and distributor. Had a blast doing that!!! I even built a hydrogen generator and put it on it.

Now.. don't even want to change the plugs in my current truck. If i needed a project i got a '74 ford 2000 that needs rebuilt from the ground up. Dread the thought! Even took the massey to have a new pto seal put in last august. I guess i've changed, slowed down is a better description.

Last edited:
the older I get the more my old junk has to serve a purpose, my newest machines are the Hubie brothers, my chinese tractors, but they are built old school, no live pto or hydraulics, one has add on live hydraulics, I am seriously considering Selling My John Deere AR and it's parts tractor. I end up having to work on it for longer than I use it.

the older I get the more my old junk has to serve a purpose, my newest machines are the Hubie brothers, my chinese tractors, but they are built old school, no live pto or hydraulics, one has add on live hydraulics, I am seriously considering Selling My John Deere AR and it's parts tractor. I end up having to work on it for longer than I use it.
Okay TI which one are you?
1706667532640.jpeg

When you use a muffin tin for a grill, you’ll know you’ve gone too far 😂

Attachments

• 1706666218062.jpeg
    1706666218062.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Operator said this part is going bad, can you order a new one.
I got the part# & ordered a new one.
I ask when can replace the part for you, he said oh it was a bad contact & the electrician replaced it, so I do not need the part. I store the Goff ball size part for five year, until the part on the machine went bad.
By the time I retired, I had two cabinet full of parts & tools that would come into use once in a blue moon. I had coworker that would ask me for a part or tool before they would put in a order.

Latest posts

Back