Old Age Question About Rural Living Alone

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I read that, I had a thought. Maybe you could grow vegetables for yourselves, not for sale, but maybe grow flowers to sell. ?? I have heard a few people say that there is some money to be made in flowers. I've never tried it myself but I used to get a magazine, Market Gardener, I think, that always had at least one article about growing flowers. Certain holidays lend themselves to certain flowers from what I've gathered... Petunias in the spring, Peace Lillys and Daffodils around Easter, hanging baskets as people get busy decorating their porches, Poinsettias before Christmas, you can fill in a number of other things in different places. It would definitely be work. But there wouldn't be the FDA/USDA regulations associated with food. Maybe something you've already looked into, not sure, but figured maybe I'd throw the thought out there.

:)
A friend of mine is a peony grower. I went to their son's wedding a few days ago at their farm. the bride changed the wedding date so as to be able to have peonies and boy did she. She just got another order for 300 stems.

She also has 150 apple trees and I get my crushed apple pulp from her to make my cider vinegar with.

A friend of mine is a peony grower. I went to their son's wedding a few days ago at their farm. the bride changed the wedding date so as to be able to have peonies and boy did she. She just got another order for 300 stems.

She also has 150 apple trees and I get my crushed apple pulp from her to make my cider vinegar with.

Apple a day keeps the doc away . Guess peonies keep it romantic.

My mother fixed this problem after my father died, by splitting up the farm into 4.998 acre lot for the 6 children. Four moved on the land with in weeks.
Two not stay with her fully time, two live on their lots a phone call away, one past away, I still live near the large city(for S.C.) where I will work for 20-30 more months.

Apple a day keeps the doc away .

Kinda depends...

AN apple, probably not enough sugar to do much harm. A dozen apples pressed for cider a day kinda had me headed towards T2D and NAFLD. Certainly didn't help anyway. :(

I love fruit but I kinda had to stop eating it, at least in any quantity. I still do eat a few raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and strawberries without much thought, usually as a part of a dessert. Seldom have a peach, apple, plum or pear. As it works out, the smaller fruits are easier for me to grow anyway, so maybe mother nature telling me something. :)

I recently moved into a senior living apartment complex. My husband and I have gone our separate ways. I was miserable living isolated with limited power and had lost all my independence. Now I am happy and gaining back my health and ability to get around better. Living in a small city is not as bad as I thought it would be. Not bad at all, in fact, I love the change it has made in my life. Sometimes you have to do what you must or keep being miserable and feeling like you are just surviving. I felt that my health was going downhill fast living where I was. Now I feel free, for the first time in a long time. I am not gardening, but I can buy from local produce growers. I like having conveniences for the first time in almost twenty years. I am not saying this is for everyone, but it is an option. I don't even need my own car here, though many of my neighbors have one. One less expense for me. I feel no contact with other people was not good for me.

Humans need human contact to be healthy. I am glad you found what works for you Katiupe.

I recently moved into a senior living apartment complex. My husband and I have gone our separate ways. I was miserable living isolated with limited power and had lost all my independence. Now I am happy and gaining back my health and ability to get around better. Living in a small city is not as bad as I thought it would be. Not bad at all, in fact, I love the change it has made in my life. Sometimes you have to do what you must or keep being miserable and feeling like you are just surviving. I felt that my health was going downhill fast living where I was. Now I feel free, for the first time in a long time. I am not gardening, but I can buy from local produce growers. I like having conveniences for the first time in almost twenty years. I am not saying this is for everyone, but it is an option. I don't even need my own car here, though many of my neighbors have one. One less expense for me. I feel no contact with other people was not good for me.

Hi KatL, i agree and glad you found a place that suits you. We still not sure what to do but loneliness is not a good way to live.

Humans need human contact to be healthy. I am glad you found what works for you Katiupe.

This is a proven fact SheepD.

Last edited:
Yep! shelter/air, water, food and intimacy/contact are the necessities of life. Beyond that it is all comfort or treatment for disease.

Hey katlupe,

Glad you chimed in! Wow, your life kinda took a big turn. But glad to know you're in a good place for you. A few others (I'm thinking of Gumpy) have had some pretty major life changes recently, too.

Life doesn't always go where we plan. But sometimes really good stuff can happen after some of those things we wish we didn't have to go through.

:)

Kat how did you come to this decision? Was it suggested to you by family or did you check it out yourself?
I was wondering since one of my daughters told us to check into assisted living so we will be prepared when time comes.

Kat how did you come to this decision? Was it suggested to you by family or did you check it out yourself?
I was wondering since one of my daughters told us to check into assisted living so we will be prepared when time comes.
I was very unhappy in my marriage and as I got older, my walking ability was difficult. I felt like I was just surviving but not living. I did not discuss it with anyone at the time, but was silently working on my computer researching my options. I found this on my own, and when the time was right, with the help of a local friend I reconnected with online, I was able to get help to move out. It was messy, but I stuck to it. I am happy now and never looked back.

I was very unhappy in my marriage and as I got older, my walking ability was difficult. I felt like I was just surviving but not living. I did not discuss it with anyone at the time, but was silently working on my computer researching my options. I found this on my own, and when the time was right, with the help of a local friend I reconnected with online, I was able to get help to move out. It was messy, but I stuck to it. I am happy now and never looked back.

:thumbs: good for you Kat. Don't want to leave hubby but I am thinking about all the work around here that isn't getting any easier for either of us. So far the idea of assisted living is not a good one for me but at same time this wilderness type living ain't working out too good either. The forest is moving in on us. A couple years ago I'd just grab the machete or chain saw and hack down the trees and brush, well that ain't happening now. First time in 20 years I didn't double dig the raised beds this past Spring.
So we keep discussing what we should do while we are still able to plan, if there is a such thing as 'planning'. :dunno:.

So I put up this thread to ask y'all for help in making plans. My daughter has a MIL suite but we don't want to live there either. No yard to speak of and lots of trees so no sun to grow a small garden. Plus we don't want anyone in control of us. We are two control freaks ourselves.:D

But this could change and if so assisted living may be an option ,not sure.

The upkeep of the property is one thing.
Being able to stay in your home is another. Look into home health care options. In our area if your income is low enough, you can get assistance at home. The assistant is generally not an educated nurse, but a trained, cleared person (you know, background check etc), who stays at your home and they rotate out so you're never alone.
I was looking into it as a job but not so sure I could handle lifting someone who weighs more than 200 lbs. I'm not tiny, but I am on the small side.
A friend does this type of work and she enjoys it.

Been there, done that, have the tee shirt. Everything you think will work won't! Max was diagnosed with Alzhiemer"s Diesease and every thing I had thought would work didn't. Ended up having to admit him to a nursing home since I simply coudn't care for him at home any longer. Believe me it is the toughest decision you will ever have to make but when they don't know you from Adam's hose cat you don't have much choice. Luckily youngest daughter was so supportive and helped with everything. I'm not sure what I will do about myself but for now I'm healthy and in a house that has lots of senior adaptions, walk in shower, tall toilets, no steps, etc.

:thumbs: good for you Kat. Don't want to leave hubby but I am thinking about all the work around here that isn't getting any easier for either of us. So far the idea of assisted living is not a good one for me but at same time this wilderness type living ain't working out too good either. The forest is moving in on us. A couple years ago I'd just grab the machete or chain saw and hack down the trees and brush, well that ain't happening now. First time in 20 years I didn't double dig the raised beds this past Spring.
So we keep discussing what we should do while we are still able to plan, if there is a such thing as 'planning'. :dunno:.

So I put up this thread to ask y'all for help in making plans. My daughter has a MIL suite but we don't want to live there either. No yard to speak of and lots of trees so no sun to grow a small garden. Plus we don't want anyone in control of us. We are two control freaks ourselves.:D

But this could change and if so assisted living may be an option ,not sure.

I don't know if this is even worth considering, but it's a thought that came to mind... (and no offense if it is totally not what you'd ever even consider...)

I used to be a fulltime RVer. It wasn't because I loved RVing so much, it was because Hurricane Katrina wend directly over our house at the time and did a bunch of damage. We ended up living in an RV in the driveway of that house in Louisiana for a year afterward and then when we had fixed it up to the point where we could move back in, we didn't want to live there anymore. It turned out that we lived in an RV for close to 12 years, fulltime, most of it without a house or property of our own.

What I'm getting at is that there are people who do what they call "workcamping" (I've seen variations on the spelling). There are often campgrounds that will offer a free place to stay for an RVer if they'll work x-number of hours for their campsite and utilities. There are places like state and national parks that offer a campsite with full hookups in exchange for someone manning a toll booth for so many hours a day or opening / closing a gate every day, that kind of thing. Or the task might be mowing or weedeating, or cleaning bath houses or picking up trash or sitting in an office or answering a phone, or mowing an airstrip. Seriously, there are lots of different things that campers do.

Thing of it is, they generally are only willing to work a limited amount of hours just for a place to park and not having to worry about their utilities. Once the hours get past about 15 hours a week, they are going to expect either something very extraordinary about their campsite (like right on an expensive beach) or they're going to want to be paid for all of their work hours beyond a certain number. $10/hr isn't an uncommon figure to see.

There are a few things that RVers do that are a little bigger, sometimes seasonal. There are campers that work for a large gas company that walk gas lines. Lots of work, but they get paid pretty well if they happen to like that kind of work. There are campers that will work in the north as a part of the sugar beet harvest doing various jobs. They work hard and they get paid well. My wife and I worked seasonally at an Amazon warehouse, basically warehouse grunts, for several seasons (like Sept through Dec) and had our campsite paid in full plus worked 40-50 hours a week at a little over $10/hr. Hey, between the two of us, and we worked the same shifts, we made a nice little nest egg to live on when we didn't have work for the rest of the year for a couple of lean years.

Anyway, I didn't figure you were looking for someone to come in fulltime and spend 40 hours a week taking care of your place. But if you had a place for an RV site that was nice and had hookups available, it might give the opportunity to see if someone might be willing to come and spend maybe the spring, summer and/or fall with you in exchange for a few hours of work. If you're wanting more work, maybe offer a stipend or some hourly dollars thrown in, maybe.

Never know, there might be someone who would love to be where you are but don't have the resources to live on a place like you have. Sometimes it can be just one person, sometimes a couple, I've even seen families fulltime RVing.

If you think you'd want to look a little further, check out: https://www.workamper.com/

I don't know if this is even worth considering, but it's a thought that came to mind... (and no offense if it is totally not what you'd ever even consider...)

I used to be a fulltime RVer. It wasn't because I loved RVing so much, it was because Hurricane Katrina wend directly over our house at the time and did a bunch of damage. We ended up living in an RV in the driveway of that house in Louisiana for a year afterward and then when we had fixed it up to the point where we could move back in, we didn't want to live there anymore. It turned out that we lived in an RV for close to 12 years, fulltime, most of it without a house or property of our own.

What I'm getting at is that there are people who do what they call "workcamping" (I've seen variations on the spelling). There are often campgrounds that will offer a free place to stay for an RVer if they'll work x-number of hours for their campsite and utilities. There are places like state and national parks that offer a campsite with full hookups in exchange for someone manning a toll booth for so many hours a day or opening / closing a gate every day, that kind of thing. Or the task might be mowing or weedeating, or cleaning bath houses or picking up trash or sitting in an office or answering a phone, or mowing an airstrip. Seriously, there are lots of different things that campers do.

Thing of it is, they generally are only willing to work a limited amount of hours just for a place to park and not having to worry about their utilities. Once the hours get past about 15 hours a week, they are going to expect either something very extraordinary about their campsite (like right on an expensive beach) or they're going to want to be paid for all of their work hours beyond a certain number. $10/hr isn't an uncommon figure to see.

There are a few things that RVers do that are a little bigger, sometimes seasonal. There are campers that work for a large gas company that walk gas lines. Lots of work, but they get paid pretty well if they happen to like that kind of work. There are campers that will work in the north as a part of the sugar beet harvest doing various jobs. They work hard and they get paid well. My wife and I worked seasonally at an Amazon warehouse, basically warehouse grunts, for several seasons (like Sept through Dec) and had our campsite paid in full plus worked 40-50 hours a week at a little over $10/hr. Hey, between the two of us, and we worked the same shifts, we made a nice little nest egg to live on when we didn't have work for the rest of the year for a couple of lean years.

Anyway, I didn't figure you were looking for someone to come in fulltime and spend 40 hours a week taking care of your place. But if you had a place for an RV site that was nice and had hookups available, it might give the opportunity to see if someone might be willing to come and spend maybe the spring, summer and/or fall with you in exchange for a few hours of work. If you're wanting more work, maybe offer a stipend or some hourly dollars thrown in, maybe.

Never know, there might be someone who would love to be where you are but don't have the resources to live on a place like you have. Sometimes it can be just one person, sometimes a couple, I've even seen families fulltime RVing.

If you think you'd want to look a little further, check out: https://www.workamper.com/

:Thankyou: and yes POP, we have discussed this but you have given me more to think about.
I'm a gypsy type and hubby is a homebody. So we clash on the subject sometimes.
I kept the site you suggested.
We had a camper but it cost too much and were members of IRV2 for awhile. Plus we didn't take many trips so it was a waste. Kids all live off cliffs with steep driveways so pulling up hill wasn't easy. My bus would run right up it but not a camper.

I will research this more and maybe a compromise will come out of it?:dunno:.

This song kinda says how I feel. Always liked and related to it.

I guess hubbys would be something like " Home On The Range " :gardening:.

Last edited:
As I did the research on my family tree, I discovered that back in the older days, people had many boarders living with them to help with the expenses. My own grandparents were poor farmers, immigrants from Poland. They were better off in Poland than here, but this was their dream. They would have different people over the years come from Poland and live and work on their farm till the people went on and established their own lives elsewhere. If you have enough room in your house, and can offer a bedroom to a boarder that would like to work on your homestead for free rent that could be an option.

As I did the research on my family tree, I discovered that back in the older days, people had many boarders living with them to help with the expenses. My own grandparents were poor farmers, immigrants from Poland. They were better off in Poland than here, but this was their dream. They would have different people over the years come from Poland and live and work on their farm till the people went on and established their own lives elsewhere. If you have enough room in your house, and can offer a bedroom to a boarder that would like to work on your homestead for free rent that could be an option.

Kat I have thought about that but todays boarders are not what the use to be. Plus we built very small so no room for any kind of privacy here. And some have family that are not that great of people.We have a couple of them ourselves.
Now a single or couple [ no families ] camper who wants to come here and visit for a week or so may be ok. And maybe once we checked them out we could even take a leave while they kinda watched the place.

Kat I have thought about that but todays boarders are not what the use to be. Plus we built very small so no room for any kind of privacy here. And some have family that are not that great of people.We have a couple of them ourselves.
Now a single or couple [ no families ] camper who wants to come here and visit for a week or so may be ok. And maybe once we checked them out we could even take a leave while they kinda watched the place.
When I was on the other forum (HT) I had several people contact me and want to come to my homestead to work and be able to live there in an RV or tents for the chance to learn how to do things. I know my friend teaches people on her homestead in Missouri on how to make herbal medicine and they live in a RV that she owns and they work for her for a specified time period. You don't just take people off the street who need a place, but they apply for it and it can work on very well. But you must screen who you allow and if it was me, I would only accept single people who are capable of doing the work.

Been there, done that, have the tee shirt. Everything you think will work won't! Max was diagnosed with Alzhiemer"s Diesease and every thing I had thought would work didn't. Ended up having to admit him to a nursing home since I simply coudn't care for him at home any longer. Believe me it is the toughest decision you will ever have to make but when they don't know you from Adam's hose cat you don't have much choice. Luckily youngest daughter was so supportive and helped with everything. I'm not sure what I will do about myself but for now I'm healthy and in a house that has lots of senior adaptions, walk in shower, tall toilets, no steps, etc.

I missed this post CCR, just saw it.
Bless your heart I can't even imagine the pain that must have caused you.:heart::huggs:.

Thank you for giving us another way of things that can happen. :thumbs:

Boy does this thread hit home. I’m in the midst of having to have Dad in a hospital mental ward for a week, then directly to a nursing home. Now insurance has covered until the PT was considered done as it was as good as he was going to get. He is developing more and more demenia. He was in hospital for huliciantons June 2017, but seemed better. In the last year more and more hulicinations. The one the night he was leaving home as he thought Mom had put a black man in his bed, given away a good bit of his ham radio gear, and tried to poison his supper.
When he said he was going to find a better place to live, Mom asked him why and he got a mean/angry look on his face as she had not seen before and said “you know why!” That is the first night she became scared of him as before she had been scared for him and his health.

But no will, didn’t seem to have a medical or regular power of atty. Later found medical durable power of atty, and then Mom had a regular/financial power of atty.

They (Mom and Dad) would not take time to go to an atty for a will. They don’t really want to deal with it. It’s been on my shoulders. There is still no wills. I do now have joint to their checking and savings accounts.

Mom is leaving it to me to figure out Medicaid, how to keep the home so she can live in it, and keep Dad in th $2oo a day nursing home with skilled care. The basic nice assisted living homes in the area are at least $3200 a month. Mom cannot afford that.

I’m trying to figure out things. I’m now interested in reverse mortgages as it would end up being like getting Medicaid and having to sell home later (or sooner) to pay them back.

I have a brother 1500 miles away and cannot and does not want to get involved in this mess any more than is necessary.
He was down here when Dad had is big mental break and would not be at hospital with me while he was seen in ER.

So, be sure someone will or wants to help figure this gawd awful mess out when you get there or have it figured out.

And Dad wants to come home but Mom can’t take care of him and does not want him back home. She does not think she could survive a move and the home is not “old “ set up.

I may have to end up living there some, and I’m selfish enough to want a good bit of my own life, I’m tired of living my life so they can do as they want.

I am learning what needs to be done so I don’t leave this gawd awful mess on my 2 girls.

Boy does this thread hit home. I’m in the midst of having to have Dad in a hospital mental ward for a week, then directly to a nursing home. Now insurance has covered until the PT was considered done as it was as good as he was going to get. He is developing more and more demenia. He was in hospital for huliciantons June 2017, but seemed better. In the last year more and more hulicinations. The one the night he was leaving home as he thought Mom had put a black man in his bed, given away a good bit of his ham radio gear, and tried to poison his supper.
When he said he was going to find a better place to live, Mom asked him why and he got a mean/angry look on his face as she had not seen before and said “you know why!” That is the first night she became scared of him as before she had been scared for him and his health.

But no will, didn’t seem to have a medical or regular power of atty. Later found medical durable power of atty, and then Mom had a regular/financial power of atty.

They (Mom and Dad) would not take time to go to an atty for a will. They don’t really want to deal with it. It’s been on my shoulders. There is still no wills. I do now have joint to their checking and savings accounts.

Mom is leaving it to me to figure out Medicaid, how to keep the home so she can live in it, and keep Dad in th $2oo a day nursing home with skilled care. The basic nice assisted living homes in the area are at least $3200 a month. Mom cannot afford that.

I’m trying to figure out things. I’m now interested in reverse mortgages as it would end up being like getting Medicaid and having to sell home later (or sooner) to pay them back.

I have a brother 1500 miles away and cannot and does not want to get involved in this mess any more than is necessary.
He was down here when Dad had is big mental break and would not be at hospital with me while he was seen in ER.

So, be sure someone will or wants to help figure this gawd awful mess out when you get there or have it figured out.

And Dad wants to come home but Mom can’t take care of him and does not want him back home. She does not think she could survive a move and the home is not “old “ set up.

I may have to end up living there some, and I’m selfish enough to want a good bit of my own life, I’m tired of living my life so they can do as they want.

I am learning what needs to be done so I don’t leave this gawd awful mess on my 2 girls.

My goodness Angie, what a mess. Your a good woman to have gone this far even. Hope things work out and very soon. I am lost for words and you know that is seldom .
:heart::huggs:

Angie, I have a brother like that. My father was in the hospital dying and had to ask for him to come to the hospital to see him one last time. I was there every day. Then when he died, my parents home was full of clutter and guess who had the job of cleaning it out.........you guessed it, me! It seems that one kid in the family gets the job to take care of everything. My father knew that would happen and even though my brother was the oldest, my father had put me as his health care proxy and power of attorney. My brother kept saying he had the power of attorney.......no, he had a copy of it and if he had ever read he would have seen my name. I took care of everything and still made sure he got a bit of money too, so he was happy and I felt I did what my father wanted me to do. It is hard watching our parents age and eventually die, but I figure I was there for them just like they were for me.

Latest posts

Back