OLD dogs, and by extension, old people

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellie

Super Friend
Neighbor
Probably few on here have escaped the pain of losing a loved old dog. They do not last long enough. My canine partner in my own homestead died almost a couple years ago and I was broken to lose him. Not only his loss, but then the raccoons moved in and were picking off the chickens. The breeder from whom I got him originally, bless her, gave me his almost 8 year old son to stop the raccoons. He did. Both dogs are Pyr/Maremma cross livestock guardians. So then I have Toby, age 8 which is already old and he limped a little. Arthritis is inflammation's favorite ailment. From my decades of investigation I know the best anti-inflammatory in the world is Omega 3 oil, so first thing Toby got krill oil. He stopped limping and perked up a little. I changed his diet to meat instead of Old Roy dog food. But he is still an old dog. At least not in pain with Krill oil, and diet is not contributing to inflammation, now. But over the last 18 months, Toby spent more and more time sleeping on his bed, barking less, noticing things less and not guarding much if he could help it. The writing is on the wall.

Some time ago I read about a study done at the Univ of WA with companion dogs and a drug called rapamycin. I'd already been looking into it because it's getting a lot of press in the anti-aging field so the drug was not new to me but this was an interesting study. Only 10 weeks. But even so., great things were happening for these dogs, particularly in heart function. Old dogs are prone to heart stuff and cancer. Google it for yourself.

Finally I secured some rapamycin for Toby. It was not easy and it's not cheap. I did a lot of investigation and my education was in biology so I read all the studies of what they're looking at with rapamycin. If you google "Rapamycin and ______" fill in any known disease and someone is looking into it. It prevents disease because it prevents or at lease slows aging. Big subject.

Toby has been taking rapamycin for 4 months. He's back to patrolling not only my acre but he senses what's going on all around the neighbors, too. He hardly spends any time in his bed. He runs. He barks at everything. I love it because it indicates he is acting like a young dog again. Will it extend his life? I don't know. Will it prevent cancer for him? I do not know. I'm pretty sure it has improved his heart function just from his improved activity level. His birthday is coming up and he'll be 10. And never looked or acted better. I'll report on progress as we go along.

Please, post back! I've never treated a dog for arthritis but I have a book I refer to often when it comes to treating pets and livestock in general... in case that interests you.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/herbal-medicine-books-peanut-recommends.6745/
“The Complete Herbal Handbook for Farm & Stable” by Juliette Levy. It as useful now as the day it was published in 1954, still in print.

Sort of interesting, a couple of weeks ago I saw a post by a lady with a horse farm in New Zealand (different social media platform). I posted a question, turns out she knew of Mrs Levy's book and also had a copy.

The only downside to this book is that Mrs Levy lived in Europe and all the plants she used were from there. A few times I've had to find a north american equivalent to a few plants she used.

Dog need more meat and less grains.We alomost lost ours to dry dog food,well we may have lost Becky to dry food 4 months ago.We now buy chicken and beef on sale,canned mixed veggies little bit of rice.No more expensive than Rachel Ray dog food which was suppose to be ok.
We want anothr dog but can't buy and cook for two or 3 dogs. Alice was a 75lb mixed grethoud,retriver who lived to be 19 and never had anything but dry dog food and meat scraps.I think they changed ingredients in past 4 years or so.

Probably few on here have escaped the pain of losing a loved old dog. They do not last long enough. My canine partner in my own homestead died almost a couple years ago and I was broken to lose him. Not only his loss, but then the raccoons moved in and were picking off the chickens. The breeder from whom I got him originally, bless her, gave me his almost 8 year old son to stop the raccoons. He did. Both dogs are Pyr/Maremma cross livestock guardians. So then I have Toby, age 8 which is already old and he limped a little. Arthritis is inflammation's favorite ailment. From my decades of investigation I know the best anti-inflammatory in the world is Omega 3 oil, so first thing Toby got krill oil. He stopped limping and perked up a little. I changed his diet to meat instead of Old Roy dog food. But he is still an old dog. At least not in pain with Krill oil, and diet is not contributing to inflammation, now. But over the last 18 months, Toby spent more and more time sleeping on his bed, barking less, noticing things less and not guarding much if he could help it. The writing is on the wall.

Some time ago I read about a study done at the Univ of WA with companion dogs and a drug called rapamycin. I'd already been looking into it because it's getting a lot of press in the anti-aging field so the drug was not new to me but this was an interesting study. Only 10 weeks. But even so., great things were happening for these dogs, particularly in heart function. Old dogs are prone to heart stuff and cancer. Google it for yourself.

Finally I secured some rapamycin for Toby. It was not easy and it's not cheap. I did a lot of investigation and my education was in biology so I read all the studies of what they're looking at with rapamycin. If you google "Rapamycin and ______" fill in any known disease and someone is looking into it. It prevents disease because it prevents or at lease slows aging. Big subject.

Toby has been taking rapamycin for 4 months. He's back to patrolling not only my acre but he senses what's going on all around the neighbors, too. He hardly spends any time in his bed. He runs. He barks at everything. I love it because it indicates he is acting like a young dog again. Will it extend his life? I don't know. Will it prevent cancer for him? I do not know. I'm pretty sure it has improved his heart function just from his improved activity level. His birthday is coming up and he'll be 10. And never looked or acted better. I'll report on progress as we go along.
Great info, so glad he is doing so well!

Latest posts

Back