Old Dogs and their Challenges

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robin416

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Last night I had just gone to bed when I heard one of the dogs making all kinds of noise on the carpet. I thought it might be the one who's always trying to fluff the carpet to make a bed. When I got up to check because it didn't sound quite right I could just see that whoever it was kept falling down.

I turned on a light to see better and got down on the floor with him. Being up close I could see his eyes flitting right and left rapidly. He was obviously distraught. I kept thinking seizure but his distress didn't match up. The behavior ended after a minute or so, he got up and asked to go out.

This morning I Googled the behavior and came up with something called Nystamagus. It's an issue that can plague older dogs, brain stem problems or inner ear problems. Being as he's over 13, no signs of an inner ear issues the cause was probably his age.

He seems totally fine this morning. He might have it happen again or he might not. I would rather be here to comfort him if it does but running to never ending medical appointments I might not always be here.

Last night I had just gone to bed when I heard one of the dogs making all kinds of noise on the carpet. I thought it might be the one who's always trying to fluff the carpet to make a bed. When I got up to check because it didn't sound quite right I could just see that whoever it was kept falling down.

I turned on a light to see better and got down on the floor with him. Being up close I could see his eyes flitting right and left rapidly. He was obviously distraught. I kept thinking seizure but his distress didn't match up. The behavior ended after a minute or so, he got up and asked to go out.

This morning I Googled the behavior and came up with something called Nystamagus. It's an issue that can plague older dogs, brain stem problems or inner ear problems. Being as he's over 13, no signs of an inner ear issues the cause was probably his age.

He seems totally fine this morning. He might have it happen again or he might not. I would rather be here to comfort him if it does but running to never ending medical appointments I might not always be here.

As I first read the symptoms, I thought maybe just coming out of a seizure. That is how my schnauzer was when he was coming out of one. I surely hope he doesn't have more of whatever it was!

I thought the same thing. Once I was on the floor with him and it registered how distraught he was that it probably wasn't a seizure. He shouldn't have been so aware with a seizure.

Just searching with the eye signs popped up that info on Nystamagus.

I thought the same thing. Once I was on the floor with him and it registered how distraught he was that it probably wasn't a seizure. He shouldn't have been so aware with a seizure.

Just searching with the eye signs popped up that info on Nystamagus.

Buddy was always very distraught and disoriented (and blind) when coming out of or just after a seizure.

Buddy was always very distraught and disoriented (and blind) when coming out of or just after a seizure.
I saw neither of those things when the attack stopped. He got up, left the bedroom and went straight to the front door to go out.

The fact he was aware that something was wrong while it was going on was the clue that it was not a seizure.

Robin, my almost 11 year old dog has had 2-3 incidences of what you described. They seem to happen when she is asleep and after she just gets up and goes outside like nothing happened. Im glad that you brou2this up. Im going to research the Nystamagus. Thank you!!!!

The one thing I didn't want to see is repeated instances of this problem. It's disconcerting for me, I can't imagine how much it bothers him when it's happening.

I had a jackhuahua for 12 years. She developed tumors, and had this big breast thingy going on.
Starting last week, she looked as if she was grimacing in pain.
Then she started having seizures or convulsions or something. Flopping around on the floor and massive drooling or throwing up.
She was way overweight, and there seemed to be no way to control it.
Then she just stopped eating and drinking. It was time.

I crushed a few valium and a percocet, mixed it with a bit of water, and shot it down her throat with a turkey baster.
She eventually fell asleep, I applied one .22
Show over.

My oldest son has 2 Carin terriers. The oldest is 13 and has been diagnosed with enlarged heart and heart failure. Just a couple of days ago the younger one who 8 started having seizures. I started the older female on baby aspirin which helps with her pain from arthritis in Nov. She's still going when they thought they were going have to put her down. Now the male may have a brain tumor. They are very attached as most of us are to their fur babies and are having a really hard time.

Last edited:
My oldest son has 2 Carin terriers. The oldest is 13 and has been diagnosed with enlarged heart and heart failure. Just a couple of days ago the younger one who 8 started having seizures. I started the older female on baby aspirin which helps with her pain from arthritis in Nov. She's still going when they thought they were going have to put her down. Now the male may have a brain tumor. They are very attached as most of us are to their fur babies and are having a really hard time.
Is the one on meds for the heart failure? Our Redbone Hound Leon also had an enlarged heart, he was on three meds for it and lived for several years without issue. What finally got him was the drugs for his arthritis.

Have they done any tests to confirm a tumor or will they have to assume that's what the issue is?

My poor old dog is happy most of the time but now and then has panic attack. But she will die like we do last old dog we put to sleep almost gave me a heart attack. Yall are braver than I am.
I don't know about braver. If they don't pass on their own the vet will come here to put ours down when it's time. It won't be a happy time around here for quite a while. What I'm hoping is that I'm not forced to make that decision while my hubs is still alive. I'm not sure he could take losing them.

Is the one on meds for the heart failure? Our Redbone Hound Leon also had an enlarged heart, he was on three meds for it and lived for several years without issue. What finally got him was the drugs for his arthritis.

Have they done any tests to confirm a tumor or will they have to assume that's what the issue is?
The older gal was hit by a car when she was much younger and now has arthritis in that hip. So, the aspirin enteric coated helps with that and yes, she's taking laid and the equivalent of atenolol for her heart. The male was just started in seizure meds, but not sure what. Hopefully for their , my kids, same they will live a bit longer. Their and our oldest son/grandson is a senior in HS and leaving for college in Tenn. this year. It's been a difficult albeit exciting year for all.

The tests to confirm a brain tumor is quite expensive and pretty much impossible if surgery were needed. 2500$ just for the Cat scan then whatever treatment or surgery if which may not help. That has to be done by a vet neuro so my guess is that they will opt for euthanasia.

I don't know about braver. If they don't pass on their own the vet will come here to put ours down when it's time. It won't be a happy time around here for quite a while. What I'm hoping is that I'm not forced to make that decision while my hubs is still alive. I'm not sure he could take losing them.

The vet will give us pain meds and I'm sure it is better to put them out of their misery, but unless I have a big change of mind she will die of natural causes like my human family did. I took the last pulse of my mother the pulse gets less and less and gave her meds and that is very hard. I'll do the same for my old faithful dog. Keep her comfortable as possible.
I know most people put their animals out of misery, and I understand why.

The tests to confirm a brain tumor is quite expensive and pretty much impossible if surgery were needed. 2500$ just for the Cat scan then whatever treatment or surgery if which may not help. That has to be done by a vet neuro so my guess is that they will opt for euthanasia.
I sure hope the anti seizure meds help and that they don't have to make a decision right away.

Leon was on Lasix and, and, and . . . Darn it, I remembered yesterday and now it's gone poof. Leon progressed in the arthritis pain department over the years, he went from aspirin up some over anti inflammatory that caused bleeding.

I sure hope the anti seizure meds help and that they don't have to make a decision right away.

Leon was on Lasix and, and, and . . . Darn it, I remembered yesterday and now it's gone poof. Leon progressed in the arthritis pain department over the years, he went from aspirin up some over anti inflammatory that caused bleeding.

I understand the "and, and,and"! Meerkat said CoQ10. I'll pass that along. Fish oil worked well with my dachshund until she was so old that she simply couldnt move anymore. No quality of life, so.
Off to the salt mines for me..

We rescued our Molly (large dog with all ribs showing and backbone too) from where she was living in the woods beside a road. Vet said she was about 2 at the time. Now she is about 9 and a half is the vet was right. She is mostly good but wakes me up most nights so I can tell her to get back in the bed. She goes for a drink of water and sometimes finds her way back and sometimes I hear her toe nails on the floor and go find her standing in the office or living room. I have started giving her coconut oil as that helps people with dementia so we will see how it goes. Sometimes she doesn't want to eat breakfast so we go with the chicken appetizer to get her started. Usually works.

So many of us have animals that were rescued or dumped. That's a sad commentary on people.

Our 17 yr old had a bad night last night and so did we. Oldest dog we ever had and one of the best if not the best. All this wet weather isn't helping her either. I kept waking up and looking on porch to check on her.
Today she is back up and walking around alot.

So many of us have animals that were rescued or dumped. That's a sad commentary on people.

Ours came from our vet who was about to go to animal control. People don't realize how good these mixed breeds are. And the best thing you can do is have all your animals fixed so more puppies don't end up strays with bad lives before they get put to sleep. Puppy farms are also bad places o nteh most part.

All our dogs live long lives especially considering they are large dogs. Last 2 were 14 one of which we put down [ not planning that again].
We have given our animals aspirin for over 50 years. We just never give them aspirin without food first and aspirin is broken up some so it doesn't sit on one spot on stomach lining. Even if I have to shove food down the throats. Of course possible alergy to too.

Last edited:
We rescued our Molly (large dog with all ribs showing and backbone too) from where she was living in the woods beside a road. Vet said she was about 2 at the time. Now she is about 9 and a half is the vet was right. She is mostly good but wakes me up most nights so I can tell her to get back in the bed. She goes for a drink of water and sometimes finds her way back and sometimes I hear her toe nails on the floor and go find her standing in the office or living room. I have started giving her coconut oil as that helps people with dementia so we will see how it goes. Sometimes she doesn't want to eat breakfast so we go with the chicken appetizer to get her started. Usually works.

Old dogs and children and watermellon wine. Always liked that song. And felt its words.

All our dogs live long lives especially considering they are large dogs. Last 2 were 14 one of which we put down [ not planning that again].
We have given our animals aspirin for over 50 years. We just never give them aspirin without food first and aspirin is broken up some so it doesn't sit on one spot on stomach lining. Even if I have to shove food down the throats. Of course possible alergy to too.
I must be tired. At first I thought you were saying some of your dogs have lived to be over 50 years old. Dang, Meerkat, that's sure an old dog!
What do you mean, that you don't plan on putting them down yourself again?
I am sure that couldn't happen with us unless it was a seriously messed up SHTF situation. I'm sad to say we had to have 2 put down as well over the years. One was 9 yrs. the other 16 yrs. Just awful. The one had cancer, a no-win situation, and the old one had been hurt.
You give your dogs chewable aspirin for aches and pains?

I must be tired. At first I thought you were saying some of your dogs have lived to be over 50 years old. Dang, Meerkat, that's sure an old dog!
I am sure that couldn't happen with us unless it was a seriously messed up SHTF situation. I'm sad to say we had to have 2 put down as well over the years. One was 9 yrs. the other 16 yrs. Just awful. The one had cancer, a no-win situation, and the old one had been hurt.

We use enteric coated aspirin. It prevent doggies upset stomach.

Now that would be an OLD DOG! Never say never but unless they are in pain continuosly I won't have them put down 'again'.
No we give broken up Bayer aspirin according to size. My old dog now was 70-75lb.s so she gets two regular aspirins. Vet said no way she is 17 y.o., I reminded him he gave her to us 2001 he couldn't beleive it.

Last edited:
Back