Old recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CK0068-05.jpg

I love this thread and even recognize a few recipes. Thank you for posting.

My husbands family made a Cracker Pie AKA Mock Apple Pie, but used regular saltine crackers instead of Ritz.. I've made it a few times myself, it's good,

Also the Potato Candy is similar to what my Mom used to make for Chocolate Drops.....pretty much just the boiled mashed potatoes mixed with powdered sugar and maybe a little vanilla. Roll into bite sized balls, then dip in melted chocolate. Stick in the fridge to cool & set.

A couple of years ago, I found this recipe on YouTube called 'Depression Era Jew Salad' it makes alot. I've made it and cut it down to a pint cause there's no way we can eat a full recipe.....but it is good and makes good use of alot of summer veggies

ETA......if you wish to find it on YT, the channel name is 'Unemployed Redneck Hillbilly Creations' and the video name is 'Depression Era Jew Salad Recipe from a friends Grandmother'

Last edited:
Well dang.........here's the transcribed recipe....

Salad

1 head of cabbage, about 2 lbs
3 carrots
2 green peppers
1 large red onion
4 cucumbers
1 white onion
bunch of radishes
1/2 bunch of celery

Prep all veggies, clean, peel, slice and pack into 1/2 gallon mason jar or other glass or non reactive container

Dressing

1 cup oil or salad oil
1/2 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
10 to 12 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon garlic powder

mix dressing ingredients, then pour over salad veggies and let sit. Stir or shake the jar to remix. The longer it sits the stronger the flavor,

Latest posts

Back