On Shore Beach Fishing

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love going to the outer banks and surf fishing. So much fun, good eating too if they are biting.

Us too something about being near the ocean thats special even better if your fishing and catching fish. Hubby can stand there all day waiting for a bite.

Last trip to beach no fishing at all.Plus I didn't prepare for the trip just had to get out of here for while.
I have to clean out van from sand and dog dander although we bathed them really good before the trip.
I didn't take any extra water to wash off ,forgot bathing suit and cover up aka wrap. Beach umbrella or sail or table and chairs.
Just loaded up some food ,water bathed dogs and hit the road. No AC but surprisingly didn't miss the AC with windows down the whole trip there.

I want to go fishing but I'm not sitting in my boat when it's 95 to 100°.
Limited out on Walleye?
In the Columbia River, there is no limit or size restriction for walleye or bass.

BackL who needs a boat we have a long shoreline and its free for florida citizens. Plus Icantch our bait with my cast net if I can still use it ,its been 5 years since I have.I was good with that net too.Cast it when the Blues are coming in on incoming tide and you get supper plus bait.You have ot bleed blues though soon as you catch them or they will be fishy.

When it's 90 and over it's too hot to do anything outside except maybe swim.

The rules in Washington say it is illegal to "use live fish for gamefish bait." Most gamefish are in freshwater. Most fish in saltwater are classified as "food fish"
There are a few exceptions, such as steelhead (gamefish) that can be caught in salt and freshwater (but mostly in freshwater).
So, while the rule does not make a distinction between salt versus freshwater, it effectively does make a distinction to (mostly freshwater) by specifically prohibiting the use of live fish for "gamefish bait."
What all that means is we can't catch bait to use in lakes and rivers which is where I fish.
The reason for no live bait is because people will dump their bait out and those fish will destroy a lake or even a river.

When it's 90 and over it's too hot to do anything outside except maybe swim.

The rules in Washington say it is illegal to "use live fish for gamefish bait." Most gamefish are in freshwater. Most fish in saltwater are classified as "food fish"
There are a few exceptions, such as steelhead (gamefish) that can be caught in salt and freshwater (but mostly in freshwater).
So, while the rule does not make a distinction between salt versus freshwater, it effectively does make a distinction to (mostly freshwater) by specifically prohibiting the use of live fish for "gamefish bait."
What all that means is we can't catch bait to use in lakes and rivers which is where I fish.
The reason for no live bait is because people will dump their bait out and those fish will destroy a lake or even a river.

Thats inderstandable.

When I was a kid... family vacation. We were near gulf shores. Early one morning dad and I were watching a guy fishing with a cast net at the beach. He caught a small shark which proceeded to chew his net to shreds... I learned a lot of new words that morning...
biggrin.gif

I've only been a couple of times, as a kid and much later as a so-called "adult."
Makes one have second thoughts about swimming at the beach when the fishermen are pulling in small sharks.

Just don't swim close to their lines and never swim close to a pier.I had a large shark pulled in right beside me at a pier once scared the heck out of me. I don't swim near piers anymore at all.
Lots of people in water here but only one shark attack this year.

When I was a kid... family vacation. We were near gulf shores. Early one morning dad and I were watching a guy fishing with a cast net at the beach. He caught a small shark which proceeded to chew his net to shreds... I learned a lot of new words that morning... View attachment 46901

I like to use a cast net but like everything else they don't make them like they use to. After 40 years my old net finally tore up,and this newer one tangles too easy. I can use it but not as fun as the old one.Last time I used it I failed big time but it was rough waters that wore me out just getting in and out of water,storm had tore up surf and had to climb up and down deep trenches. :huh:

Latest posts

Back