One of my hobbies

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working with pine is much different than most hardwoods. But could useful to practice joinery with. One I would recommend if you have access to it is popular. It is a hardwood but much softer than cherry or maple. It has a nice color and grain to it as well. My dad built the wife a pie safe from it. Its a really nice piece.
I lived in Indiana for a couple years and took woodworking classes one evening a week at local high schools. A friend of mind, another teacher, and I took the first class together. We went to a lumber yard that had a variety of woods. I chose poplar and made a coffee table with it. I went and got more poplar later for my next class and made matching end tables with it. It is a soft wood, and was easily marked. My friend and I were the only women in the class and I was the only person who finished my project. Friend started a bookcase from wood, but it was still in pieces at the end of the class. Instructor talked to us at the last class and told us that there were a couple men in the class who were not happy that we were taking the class, and they spent a lot of time joking about us as we worked. They really had nothing to show at the last class.

I loved taking these classes, because I love to make things. I love working with wood, but having my own shop has always been out of my reach. I didn't have a garage or shop to work in, and then all the tools you need takes a while to accumulate, and are expensive. I have quite a few tools for woodworking now, some I bought new, some used.

here's the scraper, the handle is soaking in my handle soaker. I use a chunk of pvc pipe with a cap. This pipe is in a upright position with linseed oil and turpentine.
xDnd9Kjl.jpg

here's the maul,
FX0rKyDl.jpg

QqlXtZ3l.jpg

Latest posts

Back