One of the risks of carrying cash

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry several hundred also, especially if I travel more than 40 miles from home.

Years ago when I traveled a lot on business I found a rather plain black belt with a little western stitching. On the inside was a zippered pouch 16 inches long. There was just enough room for 3, 100 dollar bills, folded length wise.

Belt (1)_v1.jpg
Belt (2)_v1.jpg
Belt (3)_v1.jpg

Peanut, that is the kind of thing I am interested in, except that kind of belt is not something I would wear. I'd bet that many criminal types would be interested in ways to carry cash and not have it be discovered more than we would.

I often think of a similar thing for hiding keys. If it is there, it will be found by one determined person or another, so I don't.

Peanut, that is the kind of thing I am interested in, except that kind of belt is not something I would wear.

Here you go! Over 10,000 items to choose from...

https://www.amazon.com/money-belt/s?page=1&rh=i:aps,k:money belt

Funny, I carried the same 3 $100 bills for almost a decade. When I finally bought a new belt I had forgotten about the money. My situation had changed. Over a year went by, I was digging in a closet and saw the old belt and remembered. Sure enough, my $300 was still there. I took a friend for crab legs at red lobster! ;)

Funny, I carried the same 3 $100 bills for almost a decade. When I finally bought a new belt I had forgotten about the money. My situation had changed. Over a year went by, I was digging in a closet and saw the old belt and remembered. Sure enough, my $300 was still there. I took a friend for crab legs at red lobster! ;)
I haven't worn mine in over 2 decades, you made me go check it out. No, no money.

That would work! I like to keep $20's in groups of 5, $100 a group, folded over.

In the past, I carried enough to buy a gold coin should the price dip sufficiently. On the one hand, it is a free country, and I'm innocent until proven guilty, right? On the other hand, it occurred to me that my savings could be confiscated, because no one ever carries that much cash, and the only reason to carry that much is to buy drugs, right? :rolleyes:

In the past, I carried enough to buy a gold coin should the price dip sufficiently. On the one hand, it is a free country, and I'm innocent until proven guilty, right? On the other hand, it occurred to me that my savings could be confiscated, because no one ever carries that much cash, and the only reason to carry that much is to buy drugs, right? :rolleyes:
That is one of the things that I think about when I am carrying around a bunch of cash.

Question. Money belt, what do you do with the belt when TSA tells you to take it off?
Take it off...no way to avoid it (unless you get TSA pre-check). The only one who might notice is the agent operating the bag scanner. A belt is fairly small, the folded bills are small, and the agent only has so many angles that he gets images of. Obviously, I can’t quantify it, but I suspect you’ve got a good chance to get through un-noticed (or, at least, unaccosted). If you make a big deal, everyone will pay a lot closer attention to you and your stuff.

If you’re not sure about it, make a few trips with low-denomination bills. If they happen to find it and ask about it, it $60 or less, so no real worries...either they take it or let it go, but you know for a relatively cheap price. Once you start to feel comfortable, you can increase it as you see fit.

I routinely walk through airports with $1K or more in cash (just in my wallet though) and have never been questioned about it.

British Sovereigns and French 20 Franc coins are about the size of nickels, and to the uneducated, they just look like foreign currency. Mix them with some euro/british coins, and I can't imagine anyone would look at them twice. Three Sovereigns, or four 20 Francs, and you've got about $1000...in coins which are about the same size as 3 or 4 nickels.
m0klPZgg7T4-AzGSILhUnpw.jpg

Last edited:
Take it off...no way to avoid it (unless you get TSA pre-check). The only one who might notice is the agent operating the bag scanner. ...

I have an aversion of placing my valuables in a place (plastic bin) that will be out of my direct line of site and/or control. My wallet I hold as I'm x-rayed and then let the TSA use their stick to peruse through my wallet. Money belt, a half observant person could see the zipper on the back side and quickly purloin it from the conveyor belt as the TSA distracts me with their groping.

I fly often. (At least 4 times/month from December through March). I very rarely have TSA ask me to remove my belt. In fact I think I've only had to remove it once in my last 12 trips. I do know that if you have a large amount of change in one of your bags they will pull it and search it. I had been stuffing all my change into a little side pocket in my suitcase and always forgot to give it to my daughter when I got home so it built up into a sizeable amount. TSA said they couldn't see through it on the X-ray so they had to confirm what it was. Something to think about if you ever intend to fly with valuable gold coins...

I fly often. (At least 4 times/month from December through March). I very rarely have TSA ask me to remove my belt. ...
TSA always asked me to remove my belt (different airport different TSA rules?) They said the metal buckle would set off their metal detector. So I bought a nylon belt with polymer (?) buckle, no metal. TSA asked my to remove my new belt, I pointed out that there was no metal and TSA said, "I might be hiding something behind it" I thought if that is valid concern then shouldn't all passengers be required to strip buck naked? Another example of a micromanaged, unorganized, undisciplined employee whose position was created to bring money into Union coffers.

Back