Online Friendships, Private friendship Connections

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Given the recent change to the forum and the difficulty some will have to get back on, I have been thinking about it. How can we stay connected if something happens? Who do we want to stay connected with and who are we not interested in staying connected with? We have lost people over the years with no idea how to connect with them ever again. We all know some!

The thought that finally came to me was to share my email address to begin with, in a PM with people I want to be able to stay connected with. This was not my original idea. Someone shared theirs with me this past week. I think it was a great idea. It is something that I would suggest to people who have connections to certain people. A large group message will not work for all of us, but one on one could. If and when we leave this life, will others be able to search and find out what has happened? Do we care, or not?

In this connecting in PM's, some may be comfortable sharing their names, phone numbers, and maybe even address. For me, it will begin with my email. Amish and I have each other's phone numbers, but we have met in person a couple times. Then I suggest that you do a test email, if that is what you have shared. Without a test email, if the site goes down or becomes inaccessible again, then you won't be able to know how to email that friend.

If you don't get a message from someone who you want to connect with, message them. I plan on working on this in the next couple days. I am going to be fairly busy today especially and in the next few days with work, but will reach out to many of you. I also suggest that we each have a few people we connect with this way.

For clarity sake, this for me is for friendship sake. I have no desire in this point in time in my life starting a "relationship" with anyone here or anywhere. If you are a man and I send you a PM, know that! It is not in me! But I really do value your friendships!

For clarity sake, this for me is for friendship sake. I have no desire in this point in time in my life starting a "relationship" with anyone here or anywhere. If you are a man and I send you a PM, know that! It is not in me! But I really do value your friendships!

So wait? We are NOT running off to South Dakota together to start an off grid school for patriots and gun enthusiasts? I am disappointed but will carry on. ;)

Since I was banned at PS and thats where I met most of my friends here only contact I have is with you Weedy, Patch and Jim is he didn't ;pse my info. I see a lot of our PS friends on another site firearm too.
Meerkat! I am so glad to see you here today! I was hoping that the update didn't keep you and others from getting back on.

I am one of the newer members here, but I would be willing to share my email in some type of common forum that we feel is secure.

I am one of the newer members here, but I would be willing to share my email in some type of common forum that we feel is secure.
Some people forget that the forum Admin has access to all of our email addresses.
This is the common link we all already have.
@Angie :huggs:

Good idea, Weedygarden. I just updated my email address because the one that had been stored here will be changing.

Other options include setting up an amateur radio net for the hams among us. Echolink might be an option, but HF is preferred.

Apple and Android both have an app called Zello (Zello - The Leading Push-To-Talk Walkie Talkie App) is really convenient even if mobile nets are busy. And not to overlook the obvious, sharing phone numbers might be good for some.

After the last time the site was down a day or so I exchanged email addresses, street addresses and phone numbers with a few members.

I wouldn't want to loose contact with many of you but life can change on a dime... health or financial issues can jump up and bite us all.

It seems no matter how often I'm taught that lesson I still have to relearn it occasionally. :(

So wait? We are NOT running off to South Dakota together to start an off grid school for patriots and gun enthusiasts? I am disappointed but will carry on. ;)

From the title of the thread.......I thought this was going to be a dating thread......:)

Great idea. I don't like when folks just up and disappear. I know I'm a mother hen - or mama bear in some cases, but it's because I like y'all and worry as to if the person is alright.
That is so sweet! :huggs:
Let me help pare down your list a little:
A. I am not OK.
B. I have never been OK.
C. I will never be OK.
D. If I fall silent for over a month, begin to worry about what all I penciled your name next to in my will that you may not know about
overreaction110.gif

Last edited:
Hey, don't laugh - I met my husband online (in a military/vets chat room). It can happen! 😍
Indeed it can. I've dabbled a bit myself. Geographic distance tends to squash such things before they can get too far along, however.

I still think the idea of a bunch of cantankerous ol' farts like us trying to woo the ladies online is humorous...

Lol I'm having a good chuckle imagining us having a bunch of cyber romances. We'd be some smooth operators, wouldn't we?
...I still think the idea of a bunch of cantankerous ol' farts like us trying to woo the ladies online is humorous...
:LOL:
Aw C'mon now! This is the internet!
You can be as young, sexy, vibrant, and hunk-a-licious as you want to be.
Another me:
BlakeHanson.JPG

Latest posts

Back