Online Gaming

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 55

Just a Drifter
Neighbor
For many years I have been involved with online gaming. It has been a nice break from reality. We have competed and made money. We have camped out, ate dinner together and done other things friends do. This community is not the same as years past. It is a reflection of the world many of us see today. I am just thinking out loud here and gaming has been an outlet for me when the outside world goes crazy. Where I am going with this is that if gaming has changed so much that it has altered my perception then how will we as a community survive situations far more serious? Things are so different in many cases I don't recognize them anymore.

Guardian if the phones and web went down most of us would be lost. I'd really miss this place and youtube. Sometimes I take a break and don't even turn wifi on for a week or two. But we all probably need to find an outlet like reading or a hobby just in case. We have hundreds of books lots of catagories. Hubby would stick his head into Louie L'Amour and I'd read Lewis Grazzard or info books and the Bible more .Also a few movies we got out of WalMart movie sales box. Long as solar works for power of course.And board and card games too.

I play games. But almost never online.

I find them a good way to expand mental flexibility for the kind of crazy that the outside world presents when I have to interact with it. Some serve as serious inspiration for my preping. Not instruction mind you, but inspiration. A person can be inspired by unrealistic art/entertainment even if they use none of it as actual instructions for what to do.

I do not think 'we as a community' will be a thing if things get more serious. Covid is a relatively mild situation...and has ripped apart almost every pre-existing community you care to name.

Me too lone wolf! I have a huge garden this year, tending to it! The blueberry bushes are so full of bluberries. Probably will dry some this time sold them all along with my blackberries to a local winery last year. Made some extra money.

I do miss my games. We moved out of town and away from high-speed internet.
All we can get is Dish.

Since early on in the C19 lockdown it finally got to a point I got tired of hearing about it and humanity was on its way out and so on. I play for fun and creativity and I think it helps my critical thinking. Cold dark early nights get boring. Sometimes I like to read or work on projects but garage is packed and there’s not much heat and it limits what I m able to do. So I waste time on games sometimes. We built good friendships and had good conversations. Just not like that anymore. Only a few of us “old timers “ remain.

Cold dark early nights get boring

Indeed. Even if you prefer working outside, if you live north there are times of the year when there isn't much to do and you need some escape. I read constantly but even that can get boring and I have a low tolerance for passively watching TV.

I can't work the @!#$# controllers! For some reason my brain doesn't work that way, maybe because Ive hit things with a hammer, dug holes or flattened things my entire life. I'm a complete Neanderthal in these times!

I can't work the @!#$# controllers! For some reason my brain doesn't work that way, maybe because Ive hit things with a hammer, dug holes or flattened things my entire life. I'm a complete Neanderthal in these times!

Keyboard and mouse only here. Not a "console" gamer and can't stand controllers.

I used to play first person shooters, bought the first release of Doom, .666, when it came out on floppy. I enjoyed them for a lot of years, Doom, Quake etc.

For a lot of years I enjoyed creating my own levels in the games. By the time Doom 2 came out there were 100's of folks doing it. There was a lot of great freeware available for creating the graphics etc and then posting mods for others to play and enjoy.

Once I had to give up XP and go to win10 I left my games behind. Wish I could still play them. I've tried to get Doom 3 and D3 Resurrection of Evil to play unsuccessfully. I still have all my original CD's, expansion paks for all the old games. But they served their purpose for a lot of years, guess they've gone the way of the dodo...

I never got into online play. About the time that was beginning to take off I left CA ('97). I've never had high speed internet since then. Even now I have to use satellite which has latency issues. So I never got to see the "online experience".

Keyboard and mouse for me also... kensington trackballs were the king! Still use a kensington.

Latest posts

Back