opinion on a survival seed vault failure

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
opinions on this video.he uploaded it today and lives in s.c. i have my opinion tell me what you see here.

Gotta go with seeds kept in freezer at 0 deg .
I have found that to be my experience after trying different ways of storage.

Jim

did you notice anything else in video. especially when shown the taters?

i use seed kept in lots of different conditions. not all seed last forever but most seed lasts longer than most realize. i have grown tomatoes from seed kept in standard freezer over refrigerator since 1980 or 81 just a couple years ago.

my grandfather done nothing more that put seed in used instant coffee cans and set on shelf.he died in 09 at age of 92 and i still find seed he saved...lol

i see something else in the video.

did you notice anything else in video. especially when shown the taters?

Just that what he thought was great potatoes, I wasn't impressed.

I grow my own seeds mostly, except corn.

I have kept corn seeds that were purchased locally, for as much as 6 years in freezer...never had a problem.

Beans, peas, okra, all goes in freezer. Now that I have a food saver vac dealer, I vac sesl the seeds in jars in freezer.

Jim

@phideaux i am going to wait till tomorrow to chime in on this to give others a bit of time to make a post since its so late tonight.

Here is another vid on using "prepper packaged seeds".

I wish they would have shown their 'abundant harvest' besides just a bunch of carrots.
Where's everything else?
1,000 lbs of tomatos?
All those beans and peas?
I can't eat carrots for 6 months.
NoDeal.gif

I have no opinion on "seed vaults", never bought one, never will. I get heirloom seeds from Baker creek for the year ahead, and save seeds from year to year. Some years the garden is fruitful, some years not so much. That guy need to water and weed his Schiff.

all good answers.

this guy is at least 2 growing zones south of me. the potatoes should have already been done.they are not. last 2 weeks of this heat wave has finished off my potatoes and it doesnt mater how much water i poured on them. industrial potato farmers say potato start putting on less and less spuds above 80f. i have tried second cropping taters in heat.i get some but not near as many even when i watered daily trying to force them to grow and produce. he got the potatoes out to late for his area.i know a few folks in his general area.its super hot down there now and has been last bit.

fertility...the squash are suffering from lack of it..not just water..you can get away with some grass and weed pressure but theres just lack of fertility there. i dont mind being close to a tree as i have a birch close to one of my gardens and it shades a section and it has proven here in heat to actually help lessen heat stress frm the sun even if its sucking up some extra water in general area.YMMV.

these seed vaults are a scam..in a nut shell...they have no calories in them. you gotta produce calories..we here in north america have a proven method as a basis that worked for 1000's of years..corn,beans and squash mostly.

@phideaux i would cry if those were my taters.

all good answers.

this guy is at least 2 growing zones south of me. the potatoes should have already been done.they are not. last 2 weeks of this heat wave has finished off my potatoes and it doesnt mater how much water i poured on them. industrial potato farmers say potato start putting on less and less spuds above 80f. i have tried second cropping taters in heat.i get some but not near as many even when i watered daily trying to force them to grow and produce. he got the potatoes out to late for his area.i know a few folks in his general area.its super hot down there now and has been last bit.

fertility...the squash are suffering from lack of it..not just water..you can get away with some grass and weed pressure but theres just lack of fertility there. i dont mind being close to a tree as i have a birch close to one of my gardens and it shades a section and it has proven here in heat to actually help lessen heat stress frm the sun even if its sucking up some extra water in general area.YMMV.

these seed vaults are a scam..in a nut shell...they have no calories in them. you gotta produce calories..we here in north america have a proven method as a basis that worked for 1000's of years..corn,beans and squash mostly.

@phideaux i would cry if those were my taters.
The shade definately helps but in sandy soil with no irrigation the tree will take all the water. Those squash are pretty yellow. Gardening like that I don't think it would matter where he got his seeds.

I have no opinion on "seed vaults", never bought one, never will. I get heirloom seeds from Baker creek for the year ahead, and save seeds from year to year. Some years the garden is fruitful, some years not so much. That guy need to water and weed his Schiff.
That's e exactly what I do. Buy extran each year and save what I dont use. Sometimes I throw stuff out but I still have some seed from the 90s.

Last edited:
I live in the midlands of South Carolina, Engineer775 does alot of things, solar water pump, woodstove water heater.
He is somewhere in the up state, maybe Greenville. The potatoes are okay, but the clay soil is too red, should have more organic soil if it is an established garden. Nut sage is everywhere & poison & hog is the only cure for it.
I am not surprised the seeds where bad, the best seeds are self saved or local traded.
I buy seeds & do not freeze them, but all long term seeds should be in the freezer, or save new seeds every year.

I live in the midlands of South Carolina, Engineer775 does alot of things, solar water pump, woodstove water heater.
He is somewhere in the up state, maybe Greenville. The potatoes are okay, but the clay soil is too red, should have more organic soil if it is an established garden. Nut sage is everywhere & poison & hog is the only cure for it.
I am not surprised the seeds where bad, the best seeds are self saved or local traded.
I buy seeds & do not freeze them, but all long term seeds should be in the freezer, or save new seeds every year.
I've watched Engineer775's videos. He is very talented with many things. The soil looks lacking. No matter where we live, doesn't our soil need to be amended to help with production every year? He has a large field that he is planting. Lots of organic matter being plowed into the soil would help, such as aged manure, compost, peat moss, leaves, wood ash, more. I know it took my grandparents years to build up their clay soil to be able to grow anything in their garden.

I buy extra seeds every year. I have lots of extras. This year I started beefsteak tomatoes from seeds from 2015. They sprouted. I know that some seeds have a shorter life, a shorter time to be able to sprout. I also started pumpkins, squash, and melons from older seeds.

Last edited:
Weedygarden what kind of winter squash do you have the best luck growing?

Latest posts

Back