1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions Please, Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'Product reviews' started by Meerkat, May 18, 2018.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. May 18, 2018 #1

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

I think our old van needs spark plugs long time ago I heard copper for wires is this true? It is running rough and hubby has put it on the reader and nothing comes up. it also could be the gas we put in it, since it was running great till then or the gas treatment.
    What do yall think? I know TiredIron use to help with bus it was diesel . It is a 1995 with 351 engine. And a good home away from home and tent carrier so not trading it in.

gumpy, Peanut and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. May 18, 2018 #2

ssonb

ssonb

ssonb

The experience I have with (tune up ) items is to stick with the factory original plugs and wires, Do not buy any of the Majik plugs or HI voltage performance gimiks unless you have upgraded the coils and other factory ignition devices it will be a waste of time and money. The factory plugs and wires have certain voltage and resistance factors figured in so there will be less chance of an electrical field interference with the sensitive electronic ignition modules. If you have not been regularly treating the gas in the fuel tank you may have by using a treatment suspended moisture in the gas that previously was lying on the bottom of the tank.

gumpy, OBG 57, BlueZ and 4 others like this.
  3. May 18, 2018 #3

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Time traveler Neighbor HCL Supporter

My rule is do the simple stuff first. As ssonb said, you may have mixed water with your fuel because of the additive. If that is the problem the simple test and fix is to run the gas out and fill the tank with fresh. Sudden onset after a fill up and additive suggests a fuel problem.

If that doesn't work new plugs and wires, along with cap and rotor unless you have an electronic ignition.

gumpy, OBG 57, Meerkat and 2 others like this.
  4. May 18, 2018 #4

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Thanks SSONB, he went to Napa and got plugs not sure yet what kind.
    And we think it could be the gas too but since it has been awhile since plug change he is doing that too.

gumpy, TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  5. May 18, 2018 #5

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Yea I think it is good advice too. We will run this gas out it has about 20 gal. in it, takes 35 gallons to fill it up. Thanks Car.

6. May 18, 2018 #6

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

Plugs - Autolite/ford - gapped at .028 to .030 inches, new wires and yes metal conductors are better for the spark but can raise radio interference (does the same to computers) but if you get the coiled wire around a core it is safe. New cap and rotor for the distributor. That will replace all the secondary ignition pieces. Replace the air filter(s) so you know that you are getting unrestricted air flow.
    When you are changing the plugs and wires do it one at a time so you don't get the wiring mixed up. Also when you begin, disconnect the battery and turn the lights on. When you are done with the tuneup stuff turn the lights off and connect the battery. (it should take about an hour and that will allow the computer to reset to default. It will relearn what it needs in the first hour of city driving.
    If the problem persists after that then your problem is either in the primary ignition circuit or the fuel. Check to see if you have a fuel tank drain plug. If you do then drain a half quart of fuel into a quart jar and let it set for a few minutes. If it separates into layers then you have a problem with your fuel separating. It can be caused by some additives or water in the fuel. If it doesn't separate then your fuel is good and you may have plugged or partially plugged filters. There is a filter sock on the fuel pickup in the tank and it could be restricting the flow of gas to your engine. You also have a large in-line filter in the fuel line between the tank and front of the car. You could also have a weak or bad fuel pump. Replace the filters first and test the pressure and volume of the pump.

gumpy, OBG 57, BlueZ and 3 others like this.
  7. May 18, 2018 #7

havasu

havasu

havasu

Internet Constable Staff Member Admin Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

I agree that Autolite plugs are best. However, the gap is suppose to be .035, right?

gumpy, TMT Tactical and Meerkat like this.
  8. May 18, 2018 #8

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Hubby got the AutoLight today from Napa. He had just changed all the other things last year about 1500 miles ago if that.
    The fuel pump was a nightmare to change , he cut a hole in the floor to get to it and had very little space from floor to pump. Then found a leak in fuel line so BACK INTO CUTTING OUT FLOOR AGAIN. Had some help but was still a painful nightmare. And he is a body man painter for 50 years. Had some of his classic car refinishing work in magazines.

gumpy, phideaux and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. May 19, 2018 #9

ssonb

ssonb

ssonb

Cut floor??? Just drop tank.

10. May 19, 2018 #10

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

For some reason it was easier to cut out floor than to drop the tank. For one thing ,no plug in tank and you can't siffle gas out. I don't know the other reason.

gumpy and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. May 19, 2018 #11

ssonb

ssonb

ssonb

Did the fuel pump quit working?? If so why power? Low fuel pressure, 35 to 48 psi KOEO or key on engine off with no fuel pressure drop in ten minutes with key off. Fuel pump no power, first check Under hood FP fuse. Next check the FP relay the owners manual will tell you where it lives,have your wife turn on the ignition switch and you listen and feel if the relay clicks.Next check for power on both sides of the inerta switch.
    .. It should be mounted under the right side kick panel.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  12. May 19, 2018 #12

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

He used a die grinder to cut our floor, while I prayed it didn't live up to the ' die ' part.

13. May 19, 2018 #13

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

I just realized what your asking. The fuel pump was changed last year about 10 or 12 months ago I think. This is a new problem that has just happened last couple weeks.

14. May 26, 2018 #14

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

We think it is water in gas. Changed plugs and it runs fine now but every once in awhile it will skip a little, so DH thinks wet gas could have fouled plugs.:dunno:. It is down to 1/4 tank so hope the treatment works on the rest IF that is the problem.

gumpy, Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. May 26, 2018 #15

viking

viking

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few Neighbor HCL Supporter

I used to buy Autolite plugs years ago because they had copper gaskets where the steel shell crimped the porcelain in place, I've frequently seen Champion plugs leak compression gases at the crimp area of the porcelain, also I've had frequent failure of Champion plugs, they seem to get fouled easily and fail to fire. I use NKG plugs and they seem to be really good.

16. May 26, 2018 #16

Cnsper

Cnsper

Cnsper

Run a can of seafoam through it

17. May 26, 2018 #17

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Thanks Cnsper. My van is 24 so it has a few problems but it is paid for. Truck is 1986 and it only cost $600 when we got it.

18. May 26, 2018 #18

Cnsper

Cnsper

Cnsper

Mine's 43 and can pass anything but a filling station. But she fires up every time. '75 3/4 ton fulltime 4x4 chevy. It hooks up so well I can't even play in th he snow with her.

19. May 26, 2018 #19

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Whoops, you meant 43 years old,huh? That is a classic.

20. May 26, 2018 #20

Cnsper

Cnsper

Cnsper

And she has the Chevy rust to prove it

21. May 26, 2018 #21

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

I like old autos. I took my first drivers license test in a 1956 souped up Ford with a 4 in the floor. I tore out the clutch in a 1955 Chevy learning how to drive.
    Hubby is a professional auto body repair and painter. So ours stay in good shape. He gets ready to do work we wait for son or SIL to come handle the hard stuff.

22. May 28, 2018 #22

mulescj8

mulescj8

mulescj8

Awesome Friend Neighbor

Keep in mind too that a lot of fuel cleaners and additives can also break junk loose in the tank and either clog or partially block the fuel filter, even if it was bad gas change the fuel filters a few times to make sure they are fresh and clean............

gumpy, Meerkat, Terri9630 and 2 others like this.
  23. May 31, 2018 #23

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Thanks Mulescj. Seems like it could be all kinds of things from wiring, fuel, engine, exhaust,etc,etc,etc,.
    So we are stuck far as travel goes. I'm not riding in hubbies small pickup. It feels like riding a go cart to me on highways it is so low to the ground after being in my van for so long. Hubby loves it though.
    My van puttered off and on all the way to vets yesterday. :eek::(

24. Jun 2, 2018 #24

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

About to check fuel injector on number 8 spark plug. New plug has a little stuff on it. All other plugs look ok.

One test.

Next test

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  25. Jun 2, 2018 #25

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Tested compression on 4 cylinders, all check out at 100. Will test other 4 after a nap and break.

26. Jun 3, 2018 #26

ssonb

ssonb

ssonb

To me the compression is a touch low but OK. Now testing the injectors on the truck is a more difficult I made a test leade from an old injector connector with the wires attached so it was easier to attach and inshure a positive clean contact to both posts on the injector. Now with the wire extension you can check the resistance but don't hold the multi-meter leade ends and the wire ends together with your fingers it will read wrong then. If you can come up with a wiring diagram just unplug the injector harness connector and test from the plug and from the ground wire to the appropriate Inj power leade to all 8 and as an added benefit checked the harness for broken connection (common in ford or with the aid of mice and chipmunks).

27. Jun 3, 2018 #27

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

sson, hi, this is Meerkats DH.

Thanks for helping. All cylinders were above 100 but will be checking it again later.
    I don't have a extra wiring injector plug to use for testing injectors so took reading on top injector and so far reading 16.5 .There clicking steady like they should.Wiring harness looks good far as I have seen so far.Will go back and check rest of them. Left side is easier to check than right.

Will do and I suspect the same. Thanks to all here who has helped us.

28. Jun 3, 2018 #28

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

I figured better than relaying all this mechanic men talk hubby could answer to y'all this one time.

29. Jul 3, 2018 #29

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Haven't used van for awhile till dr. visit yesterday. What a trip heat was almost unbearable .My hair was soaking wet by time we got there. Wouldn't risk AC since it is still missing. I had a headacre first 5 minutes in it. Plus they picked that day lay down asphalt and work on roads.
    Told hubby don't get happy van is not going anywhere no matter what it takes to fix it. So " sweat it out". After him my most prized possesion. He liked that part,lol.

gumpy, TMT Tactical and ssonb like this.