Opinions wanted

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Golden Comets are nice, too. To me, disposition is better than egg production. The Leghorns that I got gratis after State Fair exhibition were so high strung that it was annoying. Heirloom, dual purpose birds are so much more enjoyable than spaz birds that can crank out more eggs.

I'm about to buy some chickens, I wanted y'all's opinions on which are the best layers.
I put a laughy face because if you ask my opinion, boy-howdy watch out. You might get it 😂

Oh and about chickens: I hope not ever to have Rhode Island Reds again. They are psychotic! They would peck and eat the dark green house paint, but not the light green. Were always under-foot. Would peck their own reflection on vehicles. Tore up more spots in the middle of the lawn for dust baths. All around nuisances - but yes good layers.
I do like Barred Rocks, Silver Laced Wyandottes, buff orphingtons etc. All good layers but relatively sane as far as chickens go.

I put a laughy face because if you ask my opinion, boy-howdy watch out. You might get it 😂

Oh and about chickens: I hope not ever to have Rhode Island Reds again. They are psychotic! They would peck and eat the dark green house paint, but not the light green. Were always under-foot. Would peck their own reflection on vehicles. Tore up more spots in the middle of the lawn for dust baths. All around nuisances - but yes good layers.
I do like Barred Rocks, Silver Laced Wyandottes, buff orphingtons etc. All good layers but relatively sane as far as chickens go.
I definitely understand the psychotic nature of Rhode Island Reds lol and Leghorns are straight up attack chickens

I keep ISA Browns. A smaller bird, very gentle but they are laying machines! They were bred for egg production in france in the 60's. They'll lay an egg every 22hrs the first few months.

Best part, Tractor supply has them every spring!!! Convenient, don't have to worry/deal with shipping and the post office. If I need a few replacements I'll get them while in town grocery shopping, easy.

This time of year you'll probably have to order from a hatchery. Might have to contact several to see whats available when you are ready. And find what you need.

Oh, I like having a couple RR's in the pen because they are a little more aggressive. They'll loudly let you know if something is amiss.

Here are the last dozen ISA's I raised. Only time they all survived to start laying, I count on losing one or two out of a dozen chicks. Chickens just die for no apparent reason sometimes. After that... I lose 4 to 6 a year on average. One will get out of the pen and become lunch for a predator. So every couple or 3 years it's time to get another dozen.

f (9).JPG

I keep ISA Browns. A smaller bird, very gentle but they are laying machines! They were bred for egg production in france in the 60's. They'll lay an egg every 22hrs the first few months.

Best part, Tractor supply has them every spring!!! Convenient, don't have to worry/deal with shipping and the post office. If I need a few replacements I'll get them while in town grocery shopping, easy.

This time of year you'll probably have to order from a hatchery. Might have to contact several to see whats available when you are ready. And find what you need.

Oh, I like having a couple RR's in the pen because they are a little more aggressive. They'll loudly let you know if something is amiss.

Here are the last dozen ISA's I raised. Only time they all survived to start laying, I count on losing one or two out of a dozen chicks. Chickens just die for no apparent reason sometimes. After that... I lose 4 to 6 a year on average. One will get out of the pen and become lunch for a predator. So every couple or 3 years it's time to get another dozen.

View attachment 114071
Well dang Peanut. I got ours at TSC and they were labeled Easter Eggers. I figured an off shoot of Buffs. We had some before. But as they got older the coloring was off. Mine look just like your picture. Guess we have ISAs as well. They, well one or two have started laying as of last week. Eggs are tiny right now. But the sure are good

They are usually labeled 'pre-sexed layers'. And the people working at tsc usually don't know what they are. So yeah, I've seen them labeled several different ways. Once I got the real scoop... now i recognize them as little chicks, don't even notice the sign. They have little white tips on their wing feathers...

This was the last batch... I use an automotive laser thermometer to check the temp where I have them. But they can't resist the red dot... They look funny chasing it.. I usually keep them in my herb room for a couple weeks then move them to a big container on my porch

mar20 ( 3).jpg

Last edited:
we have all sorts of different ones so we get white, brown and green eggs.
We have some barred rock, some easter eggers, some brahmins, some leghorns, some black sex linked
Only chickens that ever caused problems were 2 evil leghorn roosters that would attack you ( they went into the freezer)

My favorites are Buff Orps, Jersey Giants, Easter Eggers, and Americaunas. They're decent layers and decent sized for butchering your excess roosters.
There's nothing worse than a Rhode Island Red Rooster.
BUT
A Rhode Island Red hen crossed with a Black Jersey Giant Rooster is an outstanding bird.

Isa browns are among the best, but they don't live very long, and tend to have health problems. Plus, you can't breed them. Well, you can but you won't get more isa brown, even if bred with an isa brown rooster. That's what I've heard anyway...
I'm about to buy some chickens, I wanted y'all's opinions on which are the best layers.

My favorites are Buff Orps, Jersey Giants, Easter Eggers, and Americaunas. They're decent layers and decent sized for butchering your excess roosters.
There's nothing worse than a Rhode Island Red Rooster.
BUT
A Rhode Island Red hen crossed with a Black Jersey Giant Rooster is an outstanding bird.
I have a RIRxISA Brown rooster and he is a complete jerk. Unfriendliest little creature I've met in a while.

The last batch of chickens I had were a little bit of everything I reckon lmao but my hubby got them in trade from the lil Guatemalan guy down the road for fixing his mower lol, sadly the neighbors dogs got loose and killed all 10 while we were gone one day broke my daughter's heart...those mean a** dogs didn't make it to long after that tho 😉

he Australorp is a chicken breed of Australian origin, developed as a utility breed with a focus on egg laying and is famous for laying more than 300 eggs per year. It achieved world-wide popularity in the 1920s after the breed broke numerous world records for number of eggs laid and has been a popular breed in the western world since.[4] It is one of eight poultry breeds created in Australia and recognised by the Australian Poultry Standards.[citation needed] The most popular colour of the breed is black, which is the only colour recognised in the United States of America,[4] but blue and white are also recognised in Australia[5] and the Poultry Club South Africa recognises buff, splash, wheaten laced and golden in addition.[6]
1692247544624.png

Oh, wow, I'd put them down long before that, at least for cat/dog food. Usually a favorite of mine gets a pass. The last one I had was a white fluffy cochin, a big hen named Babs (because she was fabulous). I gave her to a lady who loved her when we moved. She was already 6 yrs old.

Latest posts

Back