OPSEC with your preps

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One could get on Facebook and map out a dozen or more places to burglarize every weekend of the year. It's amazing how people have to share every little aspect of their lives online, especially with people who know them, where they live, what they drive, etc. Might as well put a sign in the front yard that says "NO ONE IS HOME". We put on an entire advertising campaign about this last spring and people were calling in like "Why is it a big deal to post vacation pics while you are on vacation?". Duh.

Like every person living around us, we have a gate on our driveway. We leave ours open all the time and roughly half the other people do the same. When we left for a week to visit the kids my wife asked if I was going to shut the gate. I said no because then everyone would know we were not home.

A number of years ago, I decided to leave a couple lights on 24/7. I can be home and have no need to turn more lights on. Am I home, or am I not? Dark houses say no one is home or is asleep. Some people may be watching, but some may not. I also leave a radio on sometimes when I am not home. Radio can also be on when I am, but it is not 100% consistent. And it can be quiet when I am home for hours on end.

i read a sign at a buiesness.it read.

we have a security guard 3 nights a week.you guess which 3.

I have a simalar system at home. We don't leave any lights on when WE aren't home. When I'm home by myself I don't turn any lights on. You guess when the house is empty or has a armed homeowner present.

Everyone just tells us they don't ever know if we are there or not so I suspect it is good OPSEC. They can't see either car in the front or back shed garage. Some think we are home when the washing is on the line but sometimes we are out and sometimes we are in it depends. They can see the clothesline from the spare block side but we will fix that and plant more trees. The front of the house and yard is concealed from the road with large pine trees so you can't see it and we have heavy curtains.

When we go shopping everything gets carried in to the house out the back so no-one sees.

This is an old thread but why reinvent the wheel.
We have a pretty small circle of trust. Aside from our boys you can count on them on one hand. We got a text the other night from someone not in the circle asking if we had antibiotics. My wife replied no they got old and we disposed of them. The next day my wife checked with the person who knows us well enough to have our number but not inside the circle. My wife found out that she had asked a person we did trust and they sent her our way. So we need to have a conversation with our friend. If they wanted us to help they could have reached out to us first. I guess your circle can never be too small. Or maybe they just don't get it. Either way we need have a face to face to get them on the same page.

A secret is easy to keep. It becomes more difficult if you tell it to anyone, unless you kill them. :)

We are very guarded with our information. Very few people know we prep, and nobody knows to what extent. That said, there are one or two family members that know, and therein lies a serious conundrum. For me the family members are in-laws. One would be palatable, and might be an asset to a group. One would be a boat anchor, and that one has a big mouth. I can safely bet the ranch that she would run her mouth to other family members who are, shall we say, estranged. We don't want anything to do with them.

It would put my wife in a very difficult situation, and one we really need to discuss. When people like that show up on the doorstep how do you turn them away? I would have no problem whatsoever, but my wife would not be able to say no. I am as sure of this as I am the sun is shining. So what do you do with the unwanted be they friends or family when they show up at the door?

I asked the wife who she would open the door for no matter what. She named two of her friends. I said, fine but if things go bad we don't let anyone else in including the kids of the one. She agreed.

If I get any strangers asking for a handout I will direct them to a local church or soup kitchen, the first time. I will tell them that is where I get my food. If I have anything to donate it will go to the soup kitchen. If they come back, there will not be a third visit. If they scare me the first time there may not be a second visit.

I was talking to a friend of mine about prepping. He had been a Mormon for several years so I felt comfortable with the subject. He said that he would just come to my house. He said that when he said that to others that they didn't think it was funny and he couldn't figure out why. He was laughing at the time and when he said it he glanced at me and found a very cold look on my face. That would make it a 100% identical reception from his friends. If he ever figured it out I never heard about it.
He is laughing because he thinks he is smarter than anyone else. It is also a test, a quiz, to see your reaction. I've read this as a reaction from a few people, but there are probably many who think just like this.

I recently had someone tell me we should all be well stocked with food, and yet, come to find out, this person is not really stocked with food. Do as I say, not as I do? I do know that we should stock what we eat and eat what we stock, but how many of us eat lots of fresh food, and the best way to be prepared with that is a garden, homestead, farm animals. Plan B?

How do people think about preparedness and being stocked up on food?
1. There are the people who don't think it is something to do. It is viewed as something negative, such as hoarding, not preparedness.
2. The people who think it is a good idea, but can't be bothered.
3. The people who who think it is a good idea, but have never prioritized it in their life.
4. The people who think it is a good idea, and are stocked, a little.
5. The people who think it is a good idea, and have worked hard to accomplish a good supply.

yeah.unless you live some place that can't be seen from the road.someone always knows when your not home.this includes people you know and don't know alike.

Unless you live somewhere that can't be seen from the road.....

I would say not being seen from the road is a pre-requisite.

Unless you live somewhere that can't be seen from the road.....

I would say not being seen from the road is a pre-requisite.
My place can't be seen from the road, but Google Earth can see the chlorine duck floating in my pool😯! There are satellites that zoom in WAY closer than that!!

I can't remember if I said this before, but when someone says "I'll just come to your house," my usual response is "Are you going to pay for my insurance?" They look astonished. My pantry is my insurance that my family will have food through winter. You can by your own insurance. If you need help, I can offer suggestions. Not too many have seen my pantry, but most who have, have their own.

My place can't be seen from the road, but Google Earth can see the chlorine duck floating in my pool😯! There are satellites that zoom in WAY closer than that!!

There is a reason I've didn't clear any land around my house... its invisible on google earth, or from 100 yards away at ground level.

"I'll just come to your house,"

the best response is

welll---i might have some space left in the garage, several others havbe said the same thing so you need to work together. you should bring a tent, blankets and food and i can use some help digging an out house..........

lol--the ones who cant be bothered to prepare and take care of themselves are upset when you let them know they will be taking care of themselves... in the garage. digging a latrine.

..what do you do with the unwanted be they friends or family when they show up at the door?

'..OMG, did that jar I gave you of canned [whatever] have Botulism in it??? I am just SO sorry!....' 😈 jk..

But seriously, it Will come down to the difficult - but Crucial - decisions that will Need to be made, so.. 'Sort the feelings' / Set the 'Policies', and Harden the Heart - Now - for what Must be done Then - especially relative to non-Family.. There's just only So much ya can Do to help those who Failed to help themselves..

jd

'..OMG, did that jar I gave you of canned [whatever] have Botulism in it??? I am just SO sorry!....' 😈 jk..

But seriously, it Will come down to the difficult - but Crucial - decisions that will Need to be made, so.. 'Sort the feelings' / Set the 'Policies', and Harden the Heart - Now - for what Must be done Then - especially relative to non-Family.. There's just only So much ya can Do to help those who Failed to help themselves..

jd
I practice every holiday! Don't come to my house!!!

... One would be a boat anchor, and that one has a big mouth. I can safely bet the ranch that she would run her mouth to other family members who are, shall we say, estranged....So what do you do with the unwanted be they friends or family when they show up at the door?

"Good you're here! We where just leaving to come to your house! You got room in your car right? Ours are almost out of gas and wouldn't make it. That small sack has what's left of our food...HEY! WHERE YOU GOING WITHOUT US?"

The last time that happened it was a few years ago but it came from a life long friend ...... All I said was "sho iffunz you brings six months of fud fer each and all yurens guns and ammo ..... OH don't ferget the garden tools."
He has since become a more prepared family and has even acquired farm land ... To beat all he has extended an invitation to me and mine IF things go to crap that we would be welcome at his place. Now I spect the requirements for entry will be the same as I laid out?
Not exactly he said ,you have skills and will not lay around.

Way Way closer.
I can't remember if I said this before, but when someone says "I'll just come to your house," my usual response is "Are you going to pay for my insurance?" They look astonished. My pantry is my insurance that my family will have food through winter. You can by your own insurance. If you need help, I can offer suggestions. Not too many have seen my pantry, but most who have, have their own.
My response anymore is wear your Kevlar. BTW, it may save your life, but you are really gonna feel the the first two impacts.

Last edited:
Good thread. Glad it's resurfaced - always a timely topic!

Choosing to walk away from communication with my siblings several years ago was a hard, hard thing. But it has definitely made this scenario a lot easier. I no longer feel responsible for them, and I don't consider them in my preps anymore. And none of them know where we're moving. 😎

The neighbors where we are now have no clue that I prep - we're far enough from the road, and while the immediate neighbors to either side are nosey, all they can see is that we're poor and have an unkempt property. We've had enough target practice for them to know that we're armed. If any of them came to our door - well, some we'd be nice to but would have no problem lying through our teeth. Others (the drug dealers) risk buckshot or more.

The neighbors at our 'farm' (where we're moving) are a different story. Numerous good people, all with skills. Some would be OPSEC risks, though - so while I prep with them in mind, I haven't let them know that. I'm honestly not sure how to handle that when the time comes. It depends on how things devolve, but I definitely need to think it out first.

My biggest OPSEC risk is my husband. He is a goodhearted man of faith coupled with naïveté. But I can't change him. So I have to move forward knowing that, and I don't always let him in on what I'm doing. I just hope that when the time comes that he realizes what all I'm doing (or trying to do), he'll understand that I kept the secret because I love him.

My biggest OPSEC risk is my husband. He is a goodhearted man of faith coupled with naïveté.

Goshengirl, I would put my wife in the same category. She would want to save everybody. I agree 100% with what Caribou said, and that is the practice I have read was recommended. Never barter or distribute from your house. Direct people to a nearby church. Tell them you are in the same situation they are, and have nothing to give. All donations were made to the church.

Last edited:
To be honest I have shared more here than anyplace else about what I have.

Our kitchen pantry will last a couple of weeks and because it's in the kitchen anyone helping cook can see that; kind of hard to hide.
My garden is between 2 fences and a wall - only visible from above but the raised beds have tops....

Our basement "grocery store" is off limits to everyone, it has a separate door that locks; (wife hasn't even seen it in years), it has grown to over 2800 cubic-ft.

As for defensive implements, I have 4 of those funny metal closets with goofy door handles... There's even one in my downstairs bathroom, wouldn't want to be caught off guard.. But none are in plane sight, the one on the main floor is behind a false wall...

Our medicine cabinet grew into a 4'X4' closet, with a year's supply of most over the counter meds you can think of. I would like to add a surgical kit, might ask the son to get me one for my birthday this year.

We don't share information with "local people" about what we have (and I don't share my location on line), but we may give advice on what we would do if we were going to try to be prepared, but only if asked.

As for helping people out, if we know someone who needs something we will deliver it to their door step and leave. I have done that for over 30 years and it works well enough, the funny thing is sometimes the people you help will assume that it came from someone else and gossip about it.... Which is another reason to remain anonymous. I would much rather be considered that grumpy old tight wad....

People can fly their drones over your property and there is nothing legal that you can do about it.
I have a 12 ga and I don’t mind using it, I’m sorry sir I thought it was a crow, they have been eating my corn up so I been out here taking care of my crops.. you might not want to fly that thing around my neck of the woods, my neighbors crow hunt too. Lol

Latest posts

Back