Oregon Grape Mahonia

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The roots/ underground stems are good for stomach problems.
Jelly can be made from the berries also.
What do say on the matter.

Oregon Grape – Berbis aquifolium. Its in a medicinal group of plants known as the “Berberines” as this is the strongest chemical in most of them but by no means the only important chemical. They are used to treat many conditions; they even stop bleeding from a wound for example.

World wide there are 200 or so species in this group. Several are native to the continental US. Just a few of the most common… Goldenseal – Hydrastis canadensis, Yellowroot -Xanthorhiza simplicissima, Barberry – Berberis vulgaris.

I seem to remember reading that the root extract is also good for kidney and bladder issues, we have a fair amount of wild Oregon Grape growing on our property, occasionally I chew on their berries and I know that they do make very good jelly, raw berries are extremely tart, extreme pucker power. I have yet to use them for medicinal purposes, however it's good to have them around, just in case.

Thanks for the link.

Latest posts

Back