Osburn stoves?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tootsie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Time for a new woodstove, primary heat. Spouse wants an Osburn, a Canadian made stove. He really wants it because his brother just got one, but I’m not feeling it. Brother has had it less than a season. Does anyone have or know of these stoves? Can’t put my finger on it, but stainless with two rows of pipes above and below, plus a ‘drain plug’ in the firebrick for ashes just seems different. Different is sometimes good, but I like the familiar brands.
FWIW, dealer ordered 25 stoves and got 4, various brands. Another ‘un plentiful’ area.
Thanks for any thoughts.

Sounds like some kind of convection heater.
I had a Benjamin I got at a yard sale for fifty bucks and I went to the local granite tabletop shop and grabbed a hunk of 1.5 black granite and put it on the top. it was still hot to the touch hours after the fire was out. all was well until my brother spilled a drink on it while it was hot and it cracked in three pieces. pity, it made great pancakes and pizza.

You're gonna pay three grand for a wood stove?! 0_0

Here, it kept my crappy, drafty trailer toasty!
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Ashley-Hea...6981&msclkid=2491801fbc061e0c8c74e31e8c2922c0

Last edited:
I like the old school wood stoves, but I don't know enough about brand names to offer any advice. Some of those Scandinavian wood stoves are nice, with more modern design features, but they tend to be pricey. I had a large wood stove in my home in Show Low, and that thing cranked out some heat... the thermostat in the hall (which also served as a thermometer) would hit 90 degrees!!! I'd have to wear shorts and flip-flops when that thing got going... snow on the ground outside, and I was sweating indoors, lol. I finally learned how to load it properly to hit optimal temperature... :oops:

Never used one.

There isn’t a lot of info out there. There are some reviews, but I take them with a grain of salt. I’m inclined to say no, because though the huge glass front looks nice now, it won’t for long. Lots of screws and brackets holding the glass in don’t look like a good idea to me.
Very high temps cause cast iron to crack, but stainless would warp causing possible leaks, so materials aren’t a deciding factor.
Not liking this decision, or the situation.

• Love
Reactions: Neb
For that two grand, you could build a heck of a stove out of scrap steel!

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 0
I would look around. Gets interesting that some folks buy a brand. Now it's the best on the market n almost demand you buy the same one because he knows. Only how that stove works.
Blaze kings are great. Cabin has alpine or similar name. Ash pan in the bottom, deep box. Not a box with shallow front lip so stuff stays in. Long is nice, cutting wood gets old on elderly folks eventually. Should hold a fire overnight. Min 8-12 hr burn for a good night's rest. Be prepared for melted butter all winter

Reactions: Neb
We ended up with a Lopi and I love it. It did take about 4 months with back orders, but we’re glad we got it. Pedestal, ash tray beneath, very easy to use and maintain. I am glad that we didn’t get the Osburn. It may be a good stove, but I think I resented that the choice was not mine.
I’d rate the Lopi aw well as a Jotul, Vermont Castings, or Consolidated Dutchwest, previous stoves. My favorite would be the huge Round Oak that sits in the in laws front room though……

Hey mountain. We bought a Kuma classic fuel oil drip stove for the living room in our new home. Like a fire but getting oller just a little bit. Any opinions on this stove

Latest posts

Back