Other living creatures to hunt, catch, or raise, and to eat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Not that I'm going to, but guinea pigs are something the South Americans have been raising and eating for a long time.
I wouldn't raise or hunt rodents to eat because of NH's allergies to rodents. He tried skinning his last rabbit, or was it a squirrel, and he had a really bad reaction.
Chinchillas are reportedly yummy.
I'm curious what all different kinds of meat yall have eaten.
I've had black-tip shark and it was very good. The usual, crabs, lobster, clams, oysters, shrimp. Pompano fish is one of the best ever, like eating stuff from heaven. Light and flaky.
Moose burgers and moose steak, excellent and wow.
Venison numerous times, meh, just so so. Venison jerky made by NH, really good.
At school a kid brought a can of kangaroo tail soup to class and we all got to taste it. It was okay.

Frog legs, snails, black cod, yellow eye, ling cod, muscles, abalone, caribou, venison, moose, muskox, bison. That's a short list of the things I like.

Scarred for life. NH just told me the procedure for swattin' frogs, which he did up north, in one of those states where it freezes from October through April. He used to eat frog legs too. I never have.
I tried miniscule coquinas, bleh, but hey, if you're hungry, you will eat.
@Caribou ...is this more like a yearly occurrence for you to dress caribou, muskox, etc. yourself? Doesn't it take more than one or two people to deal with something that big?
I have had bison and snails. I ate a raw crayfish once, when I was 12. Tweren't nothin'.
My uncle hunted in the Dakotas. He'd get antelope and mountain goat, I forget what else.

If you live where elk and antelope play, do laws require a stamp and you can only shoot one per season, or is it similar to deer hunting, a little more lenient?
I know there's bow season, muzzle-loading season, and rifle or black powder. Buck season mostly, or one doe per season. I know laws vary from state to state.
I've never had elk or antelope. Better than venison?

I have eaten many squirrels, rabbits, different wild waterfowl, several kinds of grouse, doves, quail, pigeons, turkey, mule & whitetail deer, bighorn sheep, antelope, elk, moose, bear, and likely other things I have forgotten. If it's on four legs I will at least try it.
Many kinds of fish and seafood of course.

If you live where elk and antelope play, do laws require a stamp and you can only shoot one per season, or is it similar to deer hunting, a little more lenient?
I know there's bow season, muzzle-loading season, and rifle or black powder. Buck season mostly, or one doe per season. I know laws vary from state to state.
I've never had elk or antelope. Better than venison?

I don't know about the hunting laws yet. We are still renovating and haven't looked into it.

Rabbits are not rodents.
I have butcher, cooked & eaten, rabbits, squirrels, chicken,deer,hogs,bream,bass,catfish,eel, rainbow trout, brown trout, carp, mud carp, clams & oysters.
Beef/cows we took to butcher shop.
I have eaten water buffalo,elk,antelope, frog legs,alligator, snail,dove,quail,duck,turkey, shell fish.

I've raised chickens, roosters, ducks, goose, quail, guinea, rabbits, and cattle/calf to sale and to eat. I've also raised horses but never ate horse meat. I've tried catfish, bass, trout, lobster, mussels, shrimp. Also venison, pig, bison, turkey, frog legs, and more stuff like that. I've seen squirrel meat, nope just no, not even in a soup.

@joel . If I knew, I obviously forgot that about rabbits.
But NH reacts to those furry critters the same, regardless of what of family, classification, whateverrrr.

Is he allergic to cats? Rabbits and cats have similar dander and if your allergic to one your usually allergic to the other.

If it Walks, Swims or Crawls I've probably Eaten it, though I've never had Muskox. The list includes many things most People will turn their Noses up to, like Possum, Snails, Insects, Snakes Etc. Most People will Eat anything if they get Hungry enough, and some will Starve to Death surrounded by Edible Plants and Animals. Now is the time to learn to Forage for Food and get used to eating things that you have never had before, or things that you would normally turn your Nose up at. Don't wait until you're at or near Starving, by then it will be to late.

I really do not think what group rabbits are in will change the taste.
It is just one of those odd things I picked up some where.

What's a yabbie?
Goat isn't bad. They are easy to butcher. At least easier than an elk. Bear is good, but have never butchered one.
Rabbit is good, too, but our son butchers the rabbits here. They get me at the cute factor, but I don't have any problems butchering fowl, goat, or pig.

Common yabby

Conservation status
220px-Status_iucn2.3_VU.svg.png

Vulnerable (IUCN 2.3)
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Arthropoda
Subphylum: Crustacea
Class: Malacostraca
Order: Decapoda
Superfamily: Parastacoidea
Family: Parastacidae
Genus: Cherax
Species: C. destructor
Binomial name
Cherax destructor

Clark, 1936
The common yabby (Cherax destructor) is an Australian freshwater crustacean in the Parastacidae family. It is listed as a vulnerable species[1] of crayfish by the World Conservation Union (IUCN), though the validity of this listing is questionable[citation needed]; wild yabby populations remain strong, and have expanded into new habitats created by reservoirs and farm dams.[2][citation needed]

Other names frequently used for Cherax destructor include the blue yabby or cyan yabby. Its common name of "yabby" is also applied to many other Australian Cherax species of crustacean (as well as to marine ghost shrimp of the infraorder Thalassinidea). Yabbies occasionally reach up to 30 cm (12 in) in length, but are more commonly 10–20 cm (4–8 in) long.[3]

Colour is highly variable and depends on water clarity and habitat; yabbies can range from black, blue-black, or dark brown in clear waters to light brown, green-brown, or beige in turbid waters.[4] Yabbies specifically bred to be a vibrant blue colour are now popular in the aquari

Thanks @joel yes they are the fresh water yabbies and there is also salt water yabbies that you can also eat and use as bait for fishing @Amish Heart. The salt water ones live in burrows on sand banks in the rivers and can be pumped up with a yabby pump from the sand. I can tell you from experience as a young child fishing if that nipper gets you it hurts like crazy.

Here is the picture of the salt water yabby -

yabby.gif

Like many of y’all I take part in a lot of my natural resources wild game squirrels and such I try to get a deer for the freezer each season ( don’t always go according to plans) but even had ground hog not to bad but right now we raise chickens and rabbits last summer we butchered and put up 47 chickens. I’m wanting to add turkey and possibly a hog or two this year. I’ve also got a few hounds (not for eating) but mostly coon hunting but we just do that for the fun of it we hardly ever shoot a coon out anymore

Latest posts

Back