Other peoples daily survival

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
this is long but well worth a look.lots to see in it if you have eyes to see and ears to hear. very well done...grateful for all i have and my location. growing up in mtns i am lured to mtns no matter their location.

notice the well built homes of stone. also how homes and buildings are used as hay storage lofts even though not covered. i bet all that hay insulates as well during winter and as its fed off roof top it gets cleaned off by spring and ready for new hay crop.

noticed the wooden window framing are rough hewn dimensional lumber. i guess in a treeless area every piece of larger wood is precious.the old blind woman cutting grass sitting with a hand sickle will choke you up.this society has little time for nonsense..survival is the issue. these people ancestors were probably pushed there from not fitting in or who knows what in far off past.notice how fast these people adopted this woman as their daughter,granddaughter etc. into their village life. of interest was the adult women yak herders talking about how they liked it because of the freedom...freedom to eat what they wanted when they wanted and do as they pleased mostly.

look at this small village in remote turkey getting it done. this young lady has a youtube channel and i stumbled across it a day ago. shes so full of life and joy..i dont understand a word she says but she excited about her farm life and sharing it with the world.

We are surrounded by poor here. I just used my table saw yesterday to cut up some old furniture and doors for a neighbor to burn in their self-made wood stove with a plastic hose and some water going thru some old waterpipes to get warm and circulate thru the ground floor to keep them warm, the upstairs is boarded up since they cannot heat it. Others go out and scavange cardboard boxes to insulate their houses or eventually burn for heat and cooking. We all have a small garden so we can get enough canning done for winter. The price of fruit and veggies triples in winter here. Gary

So many of us do not even realize how good we have it.

^ ..that was THE #1 thing I learned living in El Salvador for ~5 yrs... Those years / that Experience 'matured me' in ways / more deeply than any-other in my Life, even having 3 Children.. I sometimes genuinely Miss living there (though, I certainly Do appreciate the 'ease of accessibility' of certain things, here (family-defense armaments / 'LTS food stocks', etc..) but..

..'You Can be Happy with Less', was the chief core-lesson, and man, ain't That the Truth. A 'Simple Life' is where it's At. :cool:

jd

We just opened the first glass of canned "spiced hamburger meat, carrots and rice" today just to try it...was great...
Take some raw hamburger and do whatever spices you want to it, while you are getting the meat ready, have some rice standing in water and whatever veggies should go into the jar. Pack the meat (1/4 to 1/3) into the glass, put the veggies on top and then the rice over all, leaving about a 3/4 inch free at the top for the rice to expand into. Pour some broth or boullion over the whole up to about a 1/2 inch from the top of the glass and close. Get your glasses into some water and covered over the top, cook the glasses about 2-3 hours slowly, allow to cool and place them in the cellar or pantry for later. Camping, fishing, hunting trips or just a quick easy chow meal-heat-and-eat. Gary

i only watched a couple of the young ladies video so far..but she is a joyful soul for sure. i occasionally watch 3 channels out of turkey. all remote villages and agrarian lifestyle. all are vastly different too. the one guy is in a very rough mtn area with very little ag land so herding is his scheme. i tell ya them anatolian dogs are no joke.they are protective of everything.herding in area where wolves and grizz bear are an issue you gotta have best security around your flock.those spike collars arent for show. i know a retired police officer here in u.s. turned farmer had an antolian go crazy on him and it got him down and was working him over...head.face and neck..and if not for his sons quick action he says dog would have killed him. he said all the years of practice came into play of being able to take care of target and not hit the 'old man' while trying to save him.

i also watch a guy in remote russia and everything is a treasure..every scrap,box,packaging etc. everything is saved and reused and repurposed into something to help his subsistence way of life move forward.

the belly is the driving force of these economies for sure.

the money made from youtube has really helped several folks i watch across the globe.one guy made enough funds once to give his wife and mother a facelift kitchen remodel. really was a jump upwards for them.

the money made from youtube has really helped several folks i watch across the globe.one guy made enough funds once to give his wife and mother a facelift kitchen remodel. really was a jump upwards for them.
This is another reason we can all watch these videos. It supports people in their survival. So many people around the world have survived what we cannot even imagine. Good for them for surviving and thriving.

Another series "Dicing with Death" on Amazon prime I think is a really good series for survivalists. The show is simply about people in various third world countries trying to get themselves and there goods from place to place on really bad roads. Its kind of an odd premise for a show but I find it really compelling, and really interesting if your into old trucks, boats, 4x4s etc.

A VERY familiar lament in the show by the people is that it wasn't always this way, that in the 70s or 80s they had real roads and highways but then such and such civil war destroyed the infrastructure and it never came back.

This is something I realized in 2010 when I went to Sierra Leone; the truth is, a lot of our current world is literally a post-apocalytpic society.

look at this small village in remote turkey getting it done. this young lady has a youtube channel and i stumbled across it a day ago. shes so full of life and joy..i dont understand a word she says but she excited about her farm life and sharing it with the world.

You can enjoy every word in English!

(The translation feature took a few more steps than usual, but after fiddling with it I got it to run in English!)

---> Click on "CC"

---> Click on the little gear wheel icon in the video. It is located between the letters "CC" and "Youtube" at the bottom of the Youtube video screen.

---> Click on subtitles

---> Click onto "Turkish auto generate"

---> THEN click onto "Auto Translate"

(weird thing happens: it knocks you off the post, but just scroll your curser down the thread back onto the post with the Youtube, then you will see the window where you can scroll down the various languages all the way down to the 'English' one.)

---> Scroll down, select 'English'

Sit back and enjoy her joie de vivre!

Last edited:
@Grizzleyette___Adams such a smarty pants you are !!...roflmao

p.s. like on my gaza thread here i am working up towards something...watching and waiting on others to comment as i look for more items to show what i am talking about. i may have another multi post rant coming or not...lol...it probably nt be as much as the gaza deal. jst a highlight about the #1 survival tool on the planet...many will call it a blaspheme i am sure...lol...in the survival world anyway.

a must watch

a very different kind of survival tool than many westerners think of a survival tool

Loving these educational videos! I watched all but the last three (they will be next when I get more time).

I am taking notes from this thread. Just a few of many takeaway points I gathered:

The first video was an award-worthy documentary done right. I loved how it was capped with the Buddhist saying, which is also survival wisdom when you think about it:

We are born to die, we meet people to leave them, we own things to lose them. All is ephemeral. Accepting that makes them easier to bear.

This video also made me realize that I own way too many things.

It also showed how hardship doesn't need to interfere with happiness and freedom. These Tibetan women have only three months to harvest, process, and store ALL of their food for the rest of the entire year. Everyone, from the very young to the blind 80-year-old great grandmother worked hard. No free lunches there.

Seeing the old woman working until nearly her last dying breath was heartrending, but she died free, "with her boots on" so to speak. Unlike those in nursing homes in other parts of the world.

The other videos were full of good ideas. For example, the shallow "pond" (if you want to call it that) of fish... I could be wrong, but the pond looked way too small to actually sustain fish for a long time, so I am guessing it was more of a holding area to keep wild-caught fish alive until needed for meals. Good idea!!! The pond was small enough to drain easily and replaced with fresh water as needed. I'm thinking that even better, is to have a few such ponds that can be staged by age...

Another video (Nepal) showed how a mother planted lime trees to sustain her with income in her old age. Also sold produce from her garden to put her kids through school which was very expensive.

This reminded me of an old friend of mine who told me pretty much the same thing. During the American Depression, his family sustained themselves 100% off of what they grew or raised themselves. The only cash money they had came from selling fruits and nuts off the trees that Grandfather had planted with the future in mind.

Last edited:
had time to watch a couple more vids from nepal this afternoon. i found a nugget of survival info in action. fish snaring. now i seen a guy/s use a snare on end of pole to catch suckers running but its not that. this is an actual snare line. its not a gillnet but it sorta acts like one..but its an actual line of snares set in water. i done a couple screen grabs to see it but later in short vid you can see it pretty good and how it works.this is something i never seen anyone do or show ever before n the survival/bushcraft community.

FISHSNARE.png

FISHSNARE1.png

showing the snare rope fishing line more.

Back about 10 years ago, Pakistan had a lot of flooding.
A member of Kitchen Garden ask other members to pray for the poor farmer who had lost everything, some did not have house after the flooding. A member near Yoke in UK, said he had found seeds on sale & wondered if the pakistan state would let him mail the seeds to her to give the farmers.
They did & we started a seed drive, I got seeds wholesale/at cost from my local store. The lost of everything because of a flood, no insurance, no wellfare, just a plot of rain soaked mud, made me thankful I had a home in North America. It end up that seeds from all over the free world were sent to these farmer.They could not believe people who they had never met, would send them seeds to start over with.
The Lady had them take a photo with her, to prove the seeds were delivered as promised.
She said it was a big deal to photograph these people, a religious thing or something, but they were so grateful for the seeds they stood for the photos.

Latest posts

Back