Other peoples daily survival

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

all right...this will be last one in this series....after this elk will post his blasphemy of survival.

The Nenet reindeer herders need to move their tent every few days throughout most of the year. Every time they migrate they must pack the whole tent away, drag it across the tundra on sleds, and erect it again in a fresh place, sometimes in temperatures of minus thirty degrees.

One EMP could put us all back into the dark ages. Veryfew would survive since most who know how to survive are too old or handicapped.Most youth are too out of shape and don't have the know how. Already our cities and many small towns are breaking down into crime and poverty. Those people in these videos are probably more happy and best prepared for almost anything.

dont stone the messenger...lol....elks blasphemy of survival !

this will fly in the face of many including myself at times. when we think of survival we think of stored foods and weapons needing ammo. well yall or some know i like to crunch numbers and look at big picture of things and ratios and percentages.

last few years i really been studying starvation. putting my own body through tests of fasting and eating items that i might have on hand.reading and looking at things like minnesota starvation experiment and the starvation of 70some folks involved in alone tv show and more.the gist of all i have learned is 90 to 180 days..mostly 90 days no food=no life..period. even a person 100# overweight will blow that off in 90 days. granted if a person gets a bit of food along like every other day it will stretch it out. but they still going to shrink by a lot in this time frame. i posted the starvation experiment here awhile back i see if i can find that thread and post a link

i am going to be painting with a very broad brush and theres exceptions to rules and time periods.but if you are playing the odds and percentages..well theres proof of what i say in history.

whats #1 one survival tool...agriculture tools....i might go as far as to say the one tool is the lowly hoe too!
oh you gotta have guns and ammo etc. yes there are times where a gun is a bonus..try stopping a coastal brown bear with a switch and not a 375h&h. but we are talking statics now. or in a war and need defending yourself from a hoard of enemy. but the gun has not been around very long compared to humans history. so in short the reason people are alive is edged tool. be it a knife,a hoe,an axe etc.just look at americas...they had no beast of burden to plow so for 1000's of years the corn,squash and beans of daily survival. it was developed by use of either an antler hoe or a digging stick.my antler hoe is reference to buffalo-bird woman who was born in 1840 and we have documented her gardening in a book in early 1900's. several things i say go hand in hand. i may speak even more blasphemes before this is over....

no agriculture=no life period...oh elk what about hunter gatherers. well look at history once again. theres very few of them the population is so small across the globe of humans in non agriculture areas its almost not even a blip on history of humans. theres a strip around the planet it has a name and i forget it right now. but its the area where over 90% of history of all humans has lived. what does this area have or do...agriculture. its not a frozen waste land of the north or south poles...or a desert area..or a flooded swamp. do these places help or supply items yes. but its not the core of life giving daily survival.

i watched a documentary out of middle east and the oldest human remains and village was dated approx 22,000 years ago. even these people were doing some agriculture combined with wild harvests.they found a wooden handle sickle. it was nothing more than a stick split and had stone flakes inserted to cut grain heads. how do we know this..because they were tested and they had grain residues on them.they think they were harvesting wild wheat and barley. in that area it still grows wild so they made modern copies and tried harvesting and in 2 or 2.5 weeks they harvested enough to feed a family of 4 for a year. think about that awhile.

more to come before i lose this post

you look at these time periods of 1000's of years of nothing modern..tell me again about guns,ammo,canning jars,mylar etc. and how we survived without them. dont get me wrong i aint going to be having yard sale tomorrow and going to be full blown primitive. i love my tractor and tiller and more.

look at the terraces built in these videos. they people used a hoe and not a backhoe either to build all of them if they had not they would have no life sustaining agriculture. same way in multiple places around the globe in steep mtns.

theres a african axe/hoe combo tool i dont know name for it. but its basically a spade/axe blade with a metal squared rat tail sticking out. its used by the poorest back in the day. you heated the the spike looking thing and burnt a squared hole into handle. that way you had one tool you turned it up on edge for axe chopped wood etc. or pulled it out rotating it once and it was a hoe for agriculture work them

look at all these videos these people have basics. a kukri,hoe,a few pots,some had a chainsaw.i guarantee thats a group owned item and a few axes.we as westerners say oh i want this and that i get this and that..yes i raise my hand of guilt too. but yet heres people running up and down steep mtns in flip flops,crocs and yellow barn boots with a kukri on side and primitive axe or two. but yet we argue about best shoes to climb mtns with best waterbottles by nalgene...lol..these folks are reusing about every plastic bottle,container they every bought or found.oh and best polypropylene wool double spun synthetic space age kumbaya cloth and yet here they are wearing left over adidis clothes. if adidas wanted to do a commercial about quality..they need to show these villages because i know these clothes are put to the test...they must be pretty tough...plus thers another factor..ITS ALL THEY HAVE...they care for every items like a precious love i bet !we all should be offended at ourselves!

theres no interstate system to truck in groceries.i know they get a few but the volume has to be low because of lack of money and infrastructure logistics.yet here they are thriving and living. how do we know that...look at the amount of young people..under 30years old.somebody was having a lot of sex awhile back to produce them and a pregnancy doesnt carry through unless well fed. starving folks dont have children.these young folks are hard workers too from what we see.they have to be or they starve. theres no jobs to work at,no McDonalds after school job or little store. agriculture is whats keeping these folks alive by there own hands and efforts...mostly.

the lowly hoe has kept more people alive than anything in history of humans....i rest my case !!

i may do more rambling......or not.....

Please, PLEASE keep "rambling." I like the way you think, and I see where you are going with this. It is a vital and critical extension of modern preps which are sadly lacking in sustainability.

Keep it up Elk. I too like the info and knew some of it, but always interested to learn more. And you are right, people have gotten by with little for centuries. Some make the 1700 1800s here look very industrial.

heres a tool i was referring to...african bush axe..its an axe..a adze..and a hoe.the one i am posting is kalaharia bushmen axe they guy calls it. no matter exact name its a proven tool...these people been living it long time and have very few frivolous items in their lives.notice in picture you see a woodsmans pal knife.interesting. i bet that is highly prized by its owner.that should give huge credit to it alone as being a 'good tool' also.

http://www.wedoitoutside.com/2017/10/23/kalahari-survival-guide-the-bushmen-axe/
IMG_4069.jpg

IMG_4029.jpg

sorry yall i had to edit that vid out of post.the ending was not appropriate for me.

in this vid look how steep and narrow some of these terraces are.this was done with the lowly grub hoe and shovel. probably just the hoe...so far i am yet to see a traditional shovel in any of these vids. please correct me if i am wrong and missed it.

Last edited:

Back