Our Becky Is Gone.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really hard to deal with losing our Becky trying to just hink on thr good times,here she is in our bus.Her sister is missing her too she isn't acting right ,worries us.She is 13.We also lost 2 hens last Wednesday,Lucy and Red. Something got in pen and tore em up just 2 days after Becky passed.

1609176374730.png

Sorry to just hear that! What a beautiful dog! She died in the place she was raised with the family that loved her.

Yes and she was loved sometimes too much,lol spoiled but a joy. We don't want anymore dogs it is just to hard to lose them but never say never,just not in plans if Molly goes may be our last dog.
We alway got the mutts, Becky and Molly were road sign dogs,free Puppies.Others were shelter dogs. All our dogs lived long lives, neice said when I die I want to come back as one of yalls animals,lol. We get first trip wss to have them fixed no more pound puppies. One visit had 4 spayed at once cost some but worth knowing no more unwanted puppies. It is a very hard thing to go to animal shelters,so sad!

Oct. 1rst 2018, we lost this wonderful pet Alice, wasn't over her yet, then loss little Becky.
I was in our vets office one time, for check up and every dog in their with other owners, was acting crazy, and not minding their owners, and Alice was just totally calm, sitting by me and the girl next to me wrestling with her dog said , I would give anything to have a pet who acts like her, and behaves. I told her yeah, nothing much bothers Alice. :)
Alice was a Greyhound Lab mix , the Greyhound breeders gave her to us, because she was mixed, and they only kept pure breeds to race.
She was 19 yrs old and a month when she passed.

DSCN1044.JPG

Last edited:
1609179805078.png

So now we only have Molly on the left of this photo at 13 yrs old. She wasn't feeling so good today, and we are a little worried, her being same age as Becky who passed. I gave her some chicken noodle soup and piece of cooked hamburger , seems to have helped. :)

Another pic of Molly, Becky's sister.

1609185704303.png

Last edited:
Becky loved the water,Molly not so much sense first time she went into ocean something bumped into her or bit her ,she dove up and swam fast as she could back to shore.Becky was haard to keep out of the water and loved the ocen waves breaking over her.Always on a lease though in water.
She loved the last trip we took them in July this year.

Becky loved the water,Molly not so much sense first time she went into ocean something bumped into her or bit her ,she dove up and swam fast as she could back to shore.Becky was haard to keep out of the water and loved the ocen waves breaking over her.Always on a lease though in water.
She loved the last trip we took them in July this year.

This was her last trip to beach. 7-7-2020 , 5 months ago. She really loved to swim. :)

IMG_20200716_175145.jpg

At least you have good photos of her and good memories. But that is still no substitute. When I lost some pets I thought I wouldn't get any more, but then there were pets in need. There really are so many dogs and cats out there that need good loving homes. It's always hard to lose them, but it's better than them being executed in a shelter or dying out on their own after being abandoned. Giving them a chance at a good life makes it worth it to them even though it is painful for us.

At least you have good photos of her and good memories. But that is still no substitute. When I lost some pets I thought I wouldn't get any more, but then there were pets in need. There really are so many dogs and cats out there that need good loving homes. It's always hard to lose them, but it's better than them being executed in a shelter or dying out on their own after being abandoned. Giving them a chance at a good life makes it worth it to them even though it is painful for us.

We have never had any dog but shelter or give a ways. But may not get anymore pets after molly. Not sure but not looking for one .We have a pet cemetary here already from dogs,cats,dairy bullock calf, and birds we lost.

Its been 5 wks now and still think of her everyday.Now her sister Molly is sick.Passingblood in her stool and didn't eat for last week till 3 days ago.
Made apt with vet last Monday for but hubby wouldn't let them take her in without him or me. Now you can't go in with your dog.He told them he would wear,gloves,mask stand back but they said nobody can come in.called 3 more vets all have same rules.
Molly hasn't passed blood in last 3 dys now and she is eating but still don't know what caused the blood in stool.

I understand perfectly about not being allowed to go in with them! The vet in my town won't allow anyone in. 12 miles up the road, it's fine. And they are better priced!

I hope Molly recovers completely!

Snap we live in ruraal area and all 3 of the vets witnin 40 miles have the same rule. I've called all of them.

I also missed this thread and apologize. Oh I am so sorry at the loss of Becky. We lost 2 dogs fairly young (at 8 due to the bad chinese gluten in Nutramax food and at 6 due to a brain aneurysm).
I think we never get over it but maybe we aren't supposed to. When you receive a gift like a dog, and treasure it, welcome it into your family and heart, well I think they stay permanently there.
Ours is on her last legs at 13 - shelter dog with bad kidneys from the start but we beat all the odds. "Should've been dead" at just 11 but with the miracle foods they have nowadays, she is still here. Vet jumped with joy when we last brought her in and yelled "miracle dog" (never saw a vet do that!!)

Everyone on here is in my prayers but I will mention you both specially. Hope Molly recovers.

I imagine the vast majority of vets and their staff treat animals well. Withholding medical care could end up being more cruel than that which you are trying to avoid. If you have reason to suspect your current vet from previous experience, I would certainly try a different vet.

We have had 3 vets in 23 yr.s.Assistant came out of room holding a cat by the neck nap that was limp from anastsia layghing, never went back there.
The other was real rough with our cat, another vet gone!
She is doing better now.

Hubby hasn't got over the fact that Becky died alone trying to get to us. She almost made it died about 12 ' from us. but he said if Molly dies she will be with us,not being snatched around with a muzzle on.

We have been going out with her when she uses bathroom we check her stool and so far no blood past few days, if she shows anymore signs like not eating ,etc, we will make a trip to vet farther away if she gets sick again. She has a big appitite again.
I read it can be colitis from stress [she did lose her sister last month] ,worms, we wormed her last week.

I'm so sorry! I don't know how i missed this thread.

Thank you HashB.:huggs:

I also missed this thread and apologize. Oh I am so sorry at the loss of Becky. We lost 2 dogs fairly young (at 8 due to the bad chinese gluten in Nutramax food and at 6 due to a brain aneurysm).
I think we never get over it but maybe we aren't supposed to. When you receive a gift like a dog, and treasure it, welcome it into your family and heart, well I think they stay permanently there.
Ours is on her last legs at 13 - shelter dog with bad kidneys from the start but we beat all the odds. "Should've been dead" at just 11 but with the miracle foods they have nowadays, she is still here. Vet jumped with joy when we last brought her in and yelled "miracle dog" (never saw a vet do that!!)

Everyone on here is in my prayers but I will mention you both specially. Hope Molly recovers.

Thank you Solar Geek, and also sorry too for your loss,seems lately always recalling dof food thats killing our poor little dogs. We took her off dog food first thing. Then I reserached caauses of blood and loss of appetite. One can be stress related colitis, hoping that was cause.:huggs:

So sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is!

Thanks you DodgeMamMaw.:huggs:

Stress
Dogs that are being held in a shelter, are being boarded, traveling, or have experienced a change in their home-life can develop severe stress which can lead to blood in the stool or a chronic condition called colitis.

https://topdogtips.com/blood-in-dogs-stool/

There is an emergency vet an hour away that doesn't let owners be in with pets (this was their rule before the pandemic). I never knew how they were treating my pets and almost every one I brought to them ended up dying later. They killed my friend's dog by giving him the wrong meds. My local vet does not trust/like the emergency vet bc of their reputation. I do know that the people at my local vet will treat the pets well. They love animals and are gentle. My orange cat loves people and was trying to cuddle with the vet tech on his last visit. But, I can understand when you've seen the staff be unkind to animals why you would watch them like a hawk.

I hope Becky's sister will be OK. IIRC, I read something about a study being done where they found animals that are kept in shelters or kennels at vet's offices do much better if someone goes and pets/comforts them and gives them some affection. Whenever my pets had to be left over a weekend, I always made sure to visit them during opening hours bc when I didn't, my pets didn't make it. My vet has drastically improved the holding areas for pets though. Used to be cats & dogs were in same room, large dogs were outside in kennels, and rooms were loud and not so comfy. Now they have separate room for cats sealed up so cats won't smell or hear the dogs. Dogs are all inside in a large area. Ambient noise is not unpleasant to them and the temperature is regulated to keep them comfortable.

Sending good vibes your way & hoping things will go well for your doggy.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog.
I am very lucky. I have an old school vet that treats his patients well.
The meds my dog takes are very expensive and I was buying them from him. He told me to order them from Chewy because they are cheaper.
Saved me about $100 a month.
He not only allows people to stay with their pets he always has them take them into the exam room and stay while he treats them. He is very busy and the waiting room is always packed. He works 7 days a week most of the time and will respond to emergencies.
He also is no fan of government overreach.
I am going to really miss him when he retires.

There is an emergency vet an hour away that doesn't let owners be in with pets (this was their rule before the pandemic). I never knew how they were treating my pets and almost every one I brought to them ended up dying later. They killed my friend's dog by giving him the wrong meds. My local vet does not trust/like the emergency vet bc of their reputation. I do know that the people at my local vet will treat the pets well. They love animals and are gentle. My orange cat loves people and was trying to cuddle with the vet tech on his last visit. But, I can understand when you've seen the staff be unkind to animals why you would watch them like a hawk.

I hope Becky's sister will be OK. IIRC, I read something about a study being done where they found animals that are kept in shelters or kennels at vet's offices do much better if someone goes and pets/comforts them and gives them some affection. Whenever my pets had to be left over a weekend, I always made sure to visit them during opening hours bc when I didn't, my pets didn't make it. My vet has drastically improved the holding areas for pets though. Used to be cats & dogs were in same room, large dogs were outside in kennels, and rooms were loud and not so comfy. Now they have separate room for cats sealed up so cats won't smell or hear the dogs. Dogs are all inside in a large area. Ambient noise is not unpleasant to them and the temperature is regulated to keep them comfortable.

Sending good vibes your way & hoping things will go well for your doggy.

We left this vet once and went to a couple others who were worse, not sure what in the heck is with these vets around here.After the other two we were glad to get back to this one we've had for 23 years when we had horse,donkey,cats and dogs.
He does love animals its just hard to find good help I guess.He gave us a dog about 15 yr ago,it went under fence and was lost.We called and ask him if anyone found it,he came out here and drove up and down these dirt roads for hours looking for that little dog, it finally came back here. He gave us a cat and a dog'Alice'.

I miss my older vet but he passed away from cancer. Every single classmate of his from veterinary school got cancer. He was great, he would make house calls and sometimes give treatment for free because he liked that we actually cared about animals.
Current vet got chased out of town in Lake Charles bc he wasn't a great vet. When my cow went down after calving, he didn't know how to treat her (should have given her calcium). We found out years later what could have been done, but he didn't know about it to try it. He felt so bad about it that he gave us a calf (we had someone else take her calf when she got sick bc she couldn't nurse him). He wasn't friendly enough to let us bottle feed him. But the calf the vet gave me needed to be bottlefed and followed me like a puppy everywhere.

We've had Molly on a homemade diet now for a week. Not alot of protein ,egg whites, tice, carrots chicken or beef. sometimes tuna fish. In case its kidney from dry dog food over the years,said old dogs don't do good on it,yet our Alice lived almost 19 yr and that is long for a large dog.Still this old dog doen't have perfect genes like Alice had.
Anyway no more dry dog food,we cook a batch freeze it then take it out o thaw,put hot water over it after it thaws take chill off.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog.
I am very lucky. I have an old school vet that treats his patients well.
The meds my dog takes are very expensive and I was buying them from him. He told me to order them from Chewy because they are cheaper.
Saved me about $100 a month.
He not only allows people to stay with their pets he always has them take them into the exam room and stay while he treats them. He is very busy and the waiting room is always packed. He works 7 days a week most of the time and will respond to emergencies.
He also is no fan of government overreach.
I am going to really miss him when he retires.

BackL, it is great you have a good vet. Ours was good but I think he is semi retiring and his daughter taking over.We seldom see him.

I miss my older vet but he passed away from cancer. Every single classmate of his from veterinary school got cancer. He was great, he would make house calls and sometimes give treatment for free because he liked that we actually cared about animals.
Current vet got chased out of town in Lake Charles bc he wasn't a great vet. When my cow went down after calving, he didn't know how to treat her (should have given her calcium). We found out years later what could have been done, but he didn't know about it to try it. He felt so bad about it that he gave us a calf (we had someone else take her calf when she got sick bc she couldn't nurse him). He wasn't friendly enough to let us bottle feed him. But the calf the vet gave me needed to be bottlefed and followed me like a puppy everywhere.

Thats a shame good vets are hard to find.

What do you put in the dog food you make for your dog? I'm wondering if we could start making cat food and dog food for ours.

Rice , a few carrots, sweet potatoes when we have them, egg whites ,chicken ,beef or tuna. We bought a large bag of chicken legs quarters last month ,now we had to use acan of corned beef for this batch,can't do that often! Try to use raw food but the spolied dog won't eat it,too domesticated.

Zanne I found this,hope one works for you
https://www.thesprucepets.com/homemade-cat-food-recipes-551946

Latest posts

Back