Our Communications setup

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Comm-01.JPG

Custom map. Centered on our home. Sized for walking distance from and returning to our home in one day.

Comm-02.JPG

12 DC power distribution. On-Off-On switch. Top "ON" power is supplied by 120 AC though a 12 DC UPS. Bottom "ON" (future) power is by 12 DC automotive type lead acid batteries. 120 AC Power generator fueled by LP for backup.

Our first mobile communications were the Midland HT on the GRMS or lower power FRS channels. We recently supplemented the Midlands with the Baofeng UV-5R. Baofengs can communicate with the Midland plus.

Last edited:
Nice setup! I just rediscovered a Midland 75-822 CB radio that I thought my son had lost. It's back and working and among my other radios now. What kind of CB antenna are you using? If you're using a mobile, what do you use for a groundplane?

In case you or others haven't seen this, Radio Mobile Online is a site that lets you create radio propagation maps based on frequency, antenna height, etc. It takes topography into account which is pretty slick. And it's free.

Back