Our little homestead

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
As a young man when I got to Alaska I knew I was home.
The Good Lord matched me up with the perfect 😍 lady. 4 months later we married. We bought an acre of small trees n carved out our home.
Along the way the Good Lord blessed us with 2 kids. We homeschooled. Animal husbandry was important for us, we raised mostly small livestock, chickens to goats but did have a few hogs n horses.
And a big garden. Horticulture from selecting seeds varieties to processing to cooking to composting.
The rest of the family got dragged along with my outdoors passion.
We gave an acre of land to our son n new daughter in for their wedding in helping them build their home. Now our granddaughter lives next door. Our wonderful daughter blessed us with a wonderful grandson. She works remote n lives with us so I'm surrounded by my family.
Hopefully my beautiful wife n me can get our new retirement home built soon n give this house to our daughter.
Now I can watch my kids. They have learned a lot. And being there for our grandkids, sooooo nice. I had to work a lot when our kids were growing up. I missed a lot. Now watching our grandkids take their first step or catch their first fish.
We still have a big garden, enjoy the outdoors n hang together as a family.
I feel like the most blessed man in the world

Most blessed, you may be.
Family always comes first in this world.

Trying to squeak out every penny to help recover outgoing costs is important. We have rabbits. I read that 1 doe n her off spring can produce a ton of manure. Not sure if that's correct but I know I have lots. I also have a mulcher/shredder. And a stack of woven plastic bags that would hold about 20 pounds of ground up manure mix.
I was looking on the net for prices. Wow 20-50 bucks a bag. Advertised as brown gold for your soil and the most advantageous compost available. So basically I have all the tools n materials. But what is a fellas time worth ? I estimate i could run my manure pile through the mulcher in 2 hours. Filling bags takes a minute each.
Is there a market worth my time ? I think I'll give it a try as I'm going to run the manure for my own needs anyhows.

Hello all. We bought this acre of land 38 years ago. We had just met a month or so and fell in love at first sight. I know I couldn't take my eyes off her anyhows. And were engaged.
It was flat , not in a flood plane and end of the road so no through traffic. It was a hayfield at one time and the mainly birch trees were only 3-4" . The big ones.
Now we have beautiful grown birch. And a dozen or so different species n varieties of other trees. Special trees from brought from home where I grew up. Other tree collectors.
We're on our second house. Both hand built by us. Lots of woodworking inside that we did together.
. Seems we have always had animals. From horses n goats hogs poultry to exotic fish n snails. Oh yeah can't forget all the pet bugs our daughter collected n nurtured. She had an ant collection under a flat rock for years. She would lift one side n watch them tend to life taking care of babies b scampering around for hours. Our son , always collecting. Pockets of rocks abound in the clothes dryer.
I still have a little helper when wrenching on whatever on the thousand or so machines I try to keep running that likes to carry my tools away.
It's real nice to be able to look back n see what we have done collectively as a family. Building our home now homes. For all 3 families. Starting with a few acres of raw land. Designing n redesigning the landscape. We don't have building codes so that's nice. Although our homes are inspected n built above code requirements. And we designed them. Did all the excavating, septic, water line n such I did this professionally prior so blessed to have the knowledge. Also worked in the home building industry n learned from old school folks.
So being able to teach our kids these life skills and watch them build their own homes, electrical, plumbing the works. Priceless
Fix their oun rigs. Do tire work on our own tire changer.
Lots of memories on this piece of dirt. We're on the end of the road. Only one road to cross n we can tap into Alaska. Jump on the snogos n go to Russia before hitting civilization. Or just head up on north for 55 miles cross country to get to our cabin.
Looking in our front yard I see a huge blue spruce. My beautiful wife wanted to replace the perfectly good olive green refrigerator with the little ice box in the top. I come home with a 4' blue spruce tree for her birthday. Hey it's a living present n I'm glad we have the memories. She went n bought a used fridge by herself.
I built a swallow house from used scrap material 30 some years ago. I still get to see it in the skyline.
Yeppers lot's of great memories on this little homestead

Latest posts

Back