Our son's first moose

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
And he was huge ! A couple years ago I has finally able to go on the moose hunt that I had dreamed about many times. While building our remote log cabin the thoughts of hanging out with our family around us at the family cabin. Northern lights dancing across the clear 20 below sky while I cruised along with another load of freight.
He only had a few days so I started out doing my moose calls pretty aggressively. Loud n lots. Doing vocal cow in heat calls. Immediately we had a response through the cool morning air.
He was doing a light grunt. A noise that a large bull will do that says to all, I'm on my way and if there's another bull around look out because this gals mine. With each step he let out an ughh sound.
Then he stepped out, just his head to look around. I knew Immediately that this was a big bull. Reaching near 8' with his just cleaned from felt antlers. Glowing against the dark green of black spruce trees surrounding him.
He didn't get old being careless. And steps back. I let loose with a light grunt to imitate an immature bull. That drew him out.
He was near 175 yards out and proceeded to come towards us , ughh ughh with each step. About a hundred yards out he stops. Not seeing or hearing another moose where he knows where the sound came from. I tell my son that he's getting ready to bolt. As he turns broadside our son fires. I shoot a follow up. The moose has gained some momentum n disappears in the bush. We rush to get to him, no blood indicating no exit wound. I knew he took 2 solid hits as we could hear the bullets impact his thick hide. Thwump, thwump. After a short search I located him. I called my son to finish, telling him how to approach from the side.
His antlers were near 58 inches, non typical. Estimated live weight 1,400 pounds. Over 500 pounds of boned meat.
Truly a fine trophy for both of us
20210317_081956.jpg
20210313_073908.jpg
20210313_073908.jpg
09E7C847-A67E-4254-84C1-CD839F855A40.jpeg

Great story!! I wish every hunt went that smashingly well! I know you ate well for months!

My favorite is moose kabobs with the typical mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc. mmmm!

What calibers were you shooting?

My favorite is canned. Canned moose is sooooo good. Right out of the jar. Nice lean moose burgers on the grill. Or moose bacon burgers, we make up 50 pounds with bacon mixed into it.
We do lots of burger because we like it , and so versatile. 250 pounds or so. But put a steak in your hand n walk past the grill on the way to your plate. With high bush cranberry sauce. Corn on the cob Cold beer oh boy. Or surf n turf with salmon or halibut. Oh yeah the sweet Italian sausages or brats. All my favorite !
I was shooting a 30-06 nosler partition bullet, son was shooting a 300 win mag. On bullet hit to top arteries of the heart so he bled out immediately, the other bullet near there. Hard to tell. Both mushroomed perfectly. Very little bloodshot meat couple pounds maybe.
The memories are priceless.
My beautiful wife n me often sit back n try to figure out how we pulled this off. Building this cabin. All I can say is Thank You Good Lord !
I wish more hunts would be more successful harvesting game. But everything else is such a win anyhow. This last year we didn't harvest a moose but got a couple hundred pounds through the family. My son and me went for a canoe ride down to rip out the beaver dam, spend time together, no one else. In a beautiful setting. Both of us waking up each day with opportunity to harvest a bull moose to feed our family.
I could go on forever. One thing that I did learn along the way. If you wait till you can afford it , it may not happen. Hard work n good attitude helps

@Aklogcabin, the 30-06 is a great Alaskan caliber and is my go to rifle for caribou and moose. When I got to Alaska over a decade ago, the folks I was hanging out with at the time convinced me that it was inadequate and talked me into getting a 338 WM. I have it but I haven't shot it enough to justify getting it. The 300 WM would have probably been a better choice as it is also a great all around Alaskan caliber.

We have run out of moose, so we are eating store bought meet. But we still have some fish and several gallons of frozen blueberries still from last year, so we need to eat those items up to make room for fresh stuff a bit later this summer. The blueberries and other berries look like they will be big producers this year. Wish I could say the same for my spuds, but maybe they will make a 2nd half comeback!

To hear y’all talk bout Alaska hunting really makes me feel like my deer/bear gun is really just a lil pea shooter haha. Ol reliable I call her Winchester 94 30-30

I always wanted a 338 until I shot one. I won one once, a Remington model A if I remember correctly. Stainless, synthetic stock, thousand dollar gun. For a $10 ticket at a banquet. Traded it for the 30-06 n a bushman 243 black frame rifle. Sold that for 800 bucks. Good ticket.
I also have several 30-30s. One 1894 that is in the 800,000 serial number group.
Too bad on running out of moose. We barter a lot. We have friends who have family in Kodiak who have lots of fish. So folks don't need money here, we barter. Just got a few pounds of halibut n Pacific cod filets for payment on using a pressure washer.
Salmon season is just around the corner. Reds n Chinook should be in around the middle of July. I really enjoy the silver salmon. Hopefully we can put up a hundred pounds, canned, frozen, smoked, canned then smoked.
Hope you been collecting canning jars.

Latest posts

Back