Our TV Went Out!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Now we can't watch movies. This laptop screen is too small.Maybe with some bynocculars. :ghostly: one at a time. Plus we have to have HDMI cale connection for laptop since we don't have tv .

i just priced soem TVs andthey are really high priced,been 10 years ince we got this Vizio and it went dark couple hours ago.

I have a Vizio that does not come on some times. I have sound but no picture. I turn it off and on and eventually it will work. I put it in my shop and bought a Samsung.

BackL I've turn it off and on and the nunplugged it for about 10 minutes. I think its shot. These TVs today don't last long like the washers and most other appliances and techtronics now. And to top it off they go up in price all the time.
Only thing is now no more movies unless we watch them on seperate laptops ' together'.

TV's are NOT expensive in my book.
I've bought a few recently in the 40"+ range recently and they were give-or-take $200 each.
I've been happy with the recent offerings from Toshiba and TCL.

That sounds like very good deals. When did you last buy one? I can't beleive how the laptops went up just in past few years.

Haven't had a TV for 5 months. Mom does but not in my room and I can't sit in her chairs long enough to watch a movie, besides she talks all the time plus has the TV on 100 (volume) so I can't understand either. My laptop does well enough. I can watch Amazon Prime, Pluto TV, or play DVD's.

We haven't even owned a tv in probably 10 years
you could get a bigger laptop , I watch stuff on mine all the time ( it's a 15 inch screen)

its hard to see the sceen and make out who is who in the movie.Even with the 50" I sometimes have to ask hubby who is on screen now.Last year I had better vision than him.
I fast fowared to vision,hearing,

i just priced some TVs and they are really high priced,been 10 years since we got this Vizio and it went dark couple hours ago.
So, 10 years isn't a long lifetime for a TV? :oops:
I look at usage.
My TV and the Mrs's TV (in different rooms) run at least 14 hours per day. Every day.
That's a lot of hours in just 5 years! (25,550 each)
I am not pinching pennies and buying crap just to save 20 lousy bucks.
brickwall100.gif

I've played with no-name junk before. Never again. Life is too short. Not wasting it messing with TVs.
Samsung for us.
I've done thousands of hours of testing. The best buy in miles per dollar.

Last edited:
We have an Olevia 42" LCD TV, a few years back it quit working and I went on line and found a power supply capacitor replacement kit for it, de-soldered all the swollen Chinese made capacitors, soldered new ones in and the TV works like new, I got my kit from LCD Alternatives for just over $15.00 but there are a number of other suppliers and some kits are available on Amazon, all you need is the TV brand, model# and probably, if you know when it was bought, the year manufactured, this is often printed on a serial number tag on the back of the TV. You can't believe how relieved I was to get our TV running again. Some kits come with a soldering iron. It's not that hard to do, it's probably a good idea to take pics so that you get everything back together as it's supposed to be, lots of screws and one or two metal covers. A note of caution, when installing new capacitors, make sure of + to + and - to - connections. As to getting a new TV, I've talked to a TV repairman I've known for years and I asked him what he thought about the newer LED edge lit TV's and he told me there had been some problems with LED's, before LED's LCD TV's were lit with slender fluorescent tubes, they were easy to replace, so far I've never had a problem with those tubes. New TV?, then there is the issue of a manufacturer admitting that you shouldn't put your TV in the bedroom, some have the ability to watch you. A couple of brands have hidden cameras.

Last edited:
So, 10 years isn't a long lifetime for a TV? :oops:
I look at usage.
My TV and the Mrs's TV (in different rooms) run at least 14 hours per day. Every day.
That's a lot of hours in just 5 years! (25,550 each)
I am not pinching pennies and buying crap just to save 20 lousy bucks.View attachment 54566
I've played with no-name junk before. Never again. Life is too short. Not wasting it messing with TVs.
Samsung for us.
I've done thousands of hours of testing. The best buy in miles per dollar.

SuperV its not 20 bucks anymore,now its $2,000 difference of one of the so called best ones. I read reviews and peopel say the sound goes out, the picture, the remote doesn't seem to work. So none are immune to have problem any far as reviews go.
Like you said life is too short to deal with all that plus add injury of two thousand bucks. :eek:

Our main TV is a 65" 4k Samsung. And we have three 42" 1080p Vizios. That's one Vizio we bought for the bedroom, and two more that we inherited from deceased relatives. Those two are in our storage locker (not the relatives, the TV's!) While the Samsung is a higher end TV, the queen of the lot, those Vizios aren't bad. Vizios give you a lot of bang for the buck. The Samsung works from it's remote only. It has some kind of different proprietary control mechanism that is not compatible with other generic multi-system remotes (these other controllers can control on/off for the Samsung, but nothing else). That is a big negative for the Samsung. But the only thing we really do on the Samsung is change the HDMI input. Everything else is done on the DVR, the BluRay player, the Roku, the surround sound receiver, etc. And those other devices work with a universal controller (mostly).

My tv stopped working when I soldered a one meg ohm resistor into the line supply. After some weeks of complaints from the kids and wife (ex) I took the resistor out and "fixed" the TV. I was a hero. After the kids were gone I had an arguement with the cable company and told them to come get their stuff. Then I unplugged the TV and sold it in a week. I haven't had a TV for over twenty years and I don't plan on getting another. Life is a lot more entertaining without the distraction. :)

Our main TV is a 65" 4k Samsung. And we have three 42" 1080p Vizios. That's one Vizio we bought for the bedroom, and two more that we inherited from deceased relatives. Those two are in our storage locker (not the relatives, the TV's!) While the Samsung is a higher end TV, the queen of the lot, those Vizios aren't bad. Vizios give you a lot of bang for the buck. The Samsung works from it's remote only. It has some kind of different proprietary control mechanism that is not compatible with other generic multi-system remotes (these other controllers can control on/off for the Samsung, but nothing else). That is a big negative for the Samsung. But the only thing we really do on the Samsung is change the HDMI input. Everything else is done on the DVR, the BluRay player, the Roku, the surround sound receiver, etc. And those other devices work with a universal controller (mostly).

I miss manual control too.We can't turn down the volum on the tv when it worked so we just use HDMI and laptop for sound control which can be a little tricky. Otherwise we liked this Vizio. We have huge Sony in the storage shed son gave us but no HDMI connection.Its probably 20 or more years old.

We have an Olevia 42" LCD TV, a few years back it quit working and I went on line and found a power supply capacitor replacement kit for it, de-soldered all the swollen Chinese made capacitors, soldered new ones in and the TV works like new, I got my kit from LCD Alternatives for just over $15.00 but there are a number of other suppliers and some kits are available on Amazon, all you need is the TV brand, model# and probably the year manufactured, this is often printed on a serial number tag on the back of the TV. You can't believe how relieved I was to get our TV running again. Some kits come with a soldering iron. It's not that hard to do, it's probably a good idea to take pics so that you get everything back together as it's supposed to be, lots of screws and one or two metal covers.
That was my thought when I read the description.

My buddy fixed a few changing the caps. Electrolytics technically have a shelf life.

Ben

Oh I forgot, :Thankyou:

If you lived closed Meer, I'd give you our 70" Mitsubishi 1080 set. It needs a new "mirror thing", which costs $279 I think. It is not LCD, it is a generation behind that. Rear projection. But the light guns point away from the screen and are reflected back at it by the "mirror thing". This mirror thing has thousands of little tiny mirrors on it, each individually movable. Those mirrors get wiggled around by the TV's internal controllers and move the pixels around on the screen to make the image. Eventually, after years of use, some of the mirrors get stuck and you end up with white dots on the screen where the missing pixels are supposed to go. That's the state our Mitsubishi is in now. These projection TV's have wonderful pictures for movies, mimicking the film effect, but don't have the in-your-face bright gaudy bling-bling effect that many have come to expect for sporting events. They're also about 18" deep - nowhere near as slim as an LCD TV.

If you lived closed Meer, I'd give you our 70" Mitsubishi 1080 set. It needs a new "mirror thing", which costs $279 I think. It is not LCD, it is a generation behind that. Rear projection. But the light guns point away from the screen and are reflected back at it by the "mirror thing". This mirror thing has thousands of little tiny mirrors on it, each individually movable. Those mirrors get wiggled around by the TV's internal controllers and move the pixels around on the screen to make the image. Eventually, after years of use, some of the mirrors get stuck and you end up with white dots on the screen where the missing pixels are supposed to go. That's the state our Mitsubishi is in now. These projection TV's have wonderful pictures for movies, mimicking the film effect, but don't have the in-your-face bright gaudy bling-bling effect that many have come to expect for sporting events. They're also about 18" deep - nowhere near as slim as an LCD TV.

Haertig that Sony out back is probably at least 3' thick and really wide too. It was really hard to move for son and grandson.
Thanks for the good intention anyway. :thumbs: At least we still have the laptops,knock on wood.

The only reason I would take one of those is for the fresnel lens to make a solar powered steam boiler.

dancing chicken

Ben

SuperV its not 20 bucks anymore,now its $2,000 difference of one of the so called best ones.
Like you said life is too short to deal with all that plus add injury of two thousand bucks. :eek:
$2,000? You waaay outta my league!
emo12.gif

Whatcha got there, a drive-in movie theatre?

$2,000? You waaay outta my league!View attachment 54575
Whatcha got there, a drive-in movie theatre?

It was a rely to someone who said get a good one,was that you SuperV?😁So I went and looked and this is what I found.I don't know how to tv shop anymore.All these attachments are scairy.

Sony 55" Class 4K UHD OLED Android Smart TV HDR BRAVIA A9G Series XBR55A9G - Walmart.com

Smart TV HDR BRAVIA A9G Series XBR55A9G
Sony
Model: XBR55A9G
Walmart # 575377504
Average Rating:(4.6)starsout of5stars284 ratings, based on284reviews

6 comments
$2098.00$2,098.

Back