Our TV Went Out!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry about your TV. Wish I could send you my old Sony projection screen one with built in speakers. But it weighs 230lbs. It's almost 20yrs old but still works. 58" screen I believe. I don't even want to know how much it cost when my dad got it. We have it in the front room bc we decided to get a newer flat screen TV.

What size/type TV are you looking for, what sort of connections do you need (how many things do you need to hook up), and what is your price range?
Sounds like you have a DVD or BluRay player for movies. Some sort of antenna or box? Any coaxial cable connections? I know some of the older cable boxes still use coaxial.
Newer stuff should use HDMI but some might still use the RCA cables (I could be confusing brand with the type-- but it's the colored ones that look like they go into old style speaker ports).
Any sound bar or external speakers for output?

OLED is produced by LG (possibly by JVC but I have to check) mostly. Does Sony make it now? OLED is top of the line & doesn't burn out as quickly as QLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode vs Quantum Light Emitting Diode).

Sorry about your TV. Wish I could send you my old Sony projection screen one with built in speakers. But it weighs 230lbs. It's almost 20yrs old but still works. 58" screen I believe. I don't even want to know how much it cost when my dad got it. We have it in the front room bc we decided to get a newer flat screen TV.

What size/type TV are you looking for, what sort of connections do you need (how many things do you need to hook up), and what is your price range?
Sounds like you have a DVD or BluRay player for movies. Some sort of antenna or box? Any coaxial cable connections? I know some of the older cable boxes still use coaxial.
Newer stuff should use HDMI but some might still use the RCA cables (I could be confusing brand with the type-- but it's the colored ones that look like they go into old style speaker ports).
Any sound bar or external speakers for output?

OLED is produced by LG (possibly by JVC but I have to check) mostly. Does Sony make it now? OLED is top of the line & doesn't burn out as quickly as QLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode vs Quantum Light Emitting Diode).

I think we have its twin in our shed but thans for the nice thought Zanne.:huggs:

Samsung here , 65" 4k.
Been flawless.
Most vivid picture I've seen.

Probably will never buy anything else. Samsung.

Jim

Jim I think we paid $800 for this one but I bet it cost twice that now if we could even find one. We want to order whatevr we buy because can't trust delivery dates. We're still waiting for an order from March on a garden hose.:thumbs:

My buddy fixed a few changing the caps. Electrolytics technically have a shelf life.

Ben
That is correct. They age.
I took to buying non-working coin-op video arcade machines in the late 80's.
Most got turned on and run 24/7 until they quit. I got them for pennies on the dollar.
Almost all were easily fixed by changing the parts in the monitor found in an inexpensive "cap kit".
When we moved to Bama in 1989, 13 went with us.
And I thought nothing of abandoning at least 5 that I still had on location because they had more than paid for themselves.

On topic: None had Samsung monitors. ;)

Last edited:
So, you want 55" or 65"? 4k? OLED? I can try to find good prices. LOL. If you don't want OLED or the fancy stuff, RCA and Hisense are lower priced but still good. I don't like Vizeo as I've seen them burn out quickly & I don't like the picture quality. My new tv is a Samsung. I *think* TCL might make OLEDs though.

If you buy the newest technology TVs are very expensive. Buy a 4k TV and the picture will be amazing and you will save a lot of money.
50" Samsung for $377.99 with fee prime delivery.
Dam, I want one of those!!!
But it won't fit on my dresser:cry:.

If you buy the newest technology TVs are very expensive. Buy a 4k TV and the picture will be amazing and you will save a lot of money.
50" Samsung for $377.99 with fee prime delivery.
Yup

My buddy/tenant left a 60" Panasonic behind when he moved out.

20201206_213705.jpg

He bought it when the big screens just came out and cost him about $6K. His new place does not have enough room for it. We use it in the lego lounge and it is fine for videos. The power on for the remote control doesn't work. And is not 4K.

Some time ago The Princess purchased a tv for the Hobbit Hole.

20201206_213746.jpg

It is 4K with about a 40" screen and ran us about $500 Some years ago. It is a Sharp and is my preference for watching football since I can see all of the details.

For what its worth

Ben

I have a Vizio that the sound became ,I call it warbled, now it’s good, and another that has sound but no picture but when I unplug and reconnect it does. Also had one that just died , daughters just went out to , junk from China!

I have a Vizio that the sound became ,I call it warbled, now it’s good, and another that has sound but no picture but when I unplug and reconnect it does. Also had one that just died , daughters just went out to , junk from China!
That sucks. Where did you buy these? We bought ours, and our relatives bought theirs, all at either Best Buy or Costco. I wonder if where we each bought them makes a difference? Were yours bought from an online seller maybe (eBay or other)? It would be good to figure out why you got such horrible stuff and we got such good stuff. There's got to be some difference that explains our widely varied experiences... or maybe you're just the unluckiest person on the planet! Also, I wonder about line power. Do you have a lot of outages, surges, brownouts, lightening spikes, etc.? That kind of stuff can wreck havoc on electronics. We have very stable power here - a minor outage once every few years is it - and all our TV's are on electronic spike protectors (but not UPS'es).

That sucks. Where did you buy these? We bought ours, and our relatives bought theirs, all at either Best Buy or Costco. I wonder if where we each bought them makes a difference? Were yours bought from an online seller maybe (eBay or other)? It would be good to figure out why you got such horrible stuff and we got such good stuff. There's got to be some difference that explains our widely varied experiences... or maybe you're just the unluckiest person on the planet! Also, I wonder about line power. Do you have a lot of outages, surges, brownouts, lightening spikes, etc.? That kind of stuff can wreck havoc on electronics. We have very stable power here - a minor outage once every few years is it - and all our TV's are on electronic spike protectors (but not UPS'es).
Good point.

When I had my service entrance upgraded the electrician looked at the 6 servers The Princess had in the office he asked if we wanted whole-house surge protection. I can't recall any odd electronic failures since then.

Ben

So much great advice now I went from no clue to a whole answer sheet so what do yall think?
I'llread it again later too.

No bells and whistles,just plain tv with a good sized screen at least as big or bigger than out 43". Maybe a 50".Well maybe one bell like an HDMI cable so we can watcg youtube and other online videos like Vimeo.
@zoomzoom, thanks for bringing that up Zoom.:thumbs::Thankyou:

Last edited:
That is correct. They age.
I took to buying non-working coin-op video arcade machines in the late 80's.
Most got turned on and run 24/7 until they quit. I got them for pennies on the dollar.
Almost all were easily fixed by changing the parts in the monitor found in an inexpensive "cap kit".
When we moved to Bama in 1989, 13 went with us.
And I thought nothing of abandoning at least 5 that I still had on location because they had more than paid for themselves.

On topic: None had Samsung monitors. ;)
SuperV I still ain't over the pickup repair.I'll be too old and blind to see it if he gets into the back of it.:huh:.He is great at fixing things but not sure electroncs is his specialty. Pickup is still going so yall did a good job. It did a number on his back but he did it. :thumbs:

No bells and whistles,just plain tv with a good sized screen at least as big or bigger than out 43". Maybe a 50".
What are you using for channels? E.g. Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Local/broadcast TV, Internet, YouTube...
IMHO, getting a "Smart TV" is worth it. You can stream from most any source without having cable. Use your internet and maybe consider something like Locast (free streaming local TV) unless a regular TV antenna gets you the channels you want.

What are you using for channels? E.g. Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Local/broadcast TV, Internet, YouTube...
IMHO, getting a "Smart TV" is worth it. You can stream from most any source without having cable. Use your internet and maybe consider something like Locast (free streaming local TV) unless a regular TV antenna gets you the channels you want.

Glad you mentioned that, I have to have internet connection. Guess it will have to be a SMART tv.

Yea, if using internet only (no cable or similar service), it'll need to be a Smart TV.

Zoom sorry I forgot to mention we haven't had tv service in over 22 yr.now. Nothing on there we care about since 1998.Wasn't much on before that.

You would be hard-pressed to find a new YV that isn't a smart TV.
I have 2 smart TVs and both are connected to Amazon firesticks. I have more options to watch than I could ever use.

Ok thanks BackL I want to pick up at store but don't want to hang around so ned to know what we want before we go into store.

its hard to see the sceen and make out who is who in the movie.Even with the 50" I sometimes have to ask hubby who is on screen now.Last year I had better vision than him.
I fast fowared to vision,hearing,

I think it's easier to see things on a laptop, it's right in front of you. Tvs usually are at a distance
For us , tv wouldn't work anyway, husband and myself don't watch the same stuff AT ALL

We got the TCL 43" tv today at WalMart. Cost $237.00Hubby is working on putting it up now.
Hope we did ok and thanks again for the help. :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back