Our TV Went Out!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't laugh at me, but we bought a sony visio for the homestead a year and a half ago when we moved here full time, and we haven't hooked it up yet. Its a 32 incher or so, as space is tight.

The intent was to watch occasional movies from our DVD collection during the long winter months. We do have it hooked up to the DVD, but we have not bothered to hook it up to the internet to watch TV. We haven't watched a DVD yet this winter, but I am sure the time will come. The fact is, except for an occasional college football game or watching Tucker Carlson, there is nothing I want to watch on TV since the Lost series ended years ago. The laptop or the Ipad work just fine for an occasional game or Tucker.

No laughing here. We had a 55" 4k TV sitting in a box for a year bc we needed a stand for it & it took awhile to get one and then we needed help getting the stand put together & the TV set in place. My unlucky friend I keep mentioning is the one who installed it for us.
It doesn't have as many ports as the older TVS-- I guess that's why they have adapter boxes. A lot of stuff uses HDMI now.

Meerkat, glad to hear you got a TV. Hope it lasts & that you like the picture.

No laughing here. We had a 55" 4k TV sitting in a box for a year bc we needed a stand for it & it took awhile to get one and then we needed help getting the stand put together & the TV set in place. My unlucky friend I keep mentioning is the one who installed it for us.
It doesn't have as many ports as the older TVS-- I guess that's why they have adapter boxes. A lot of stuff uses HDMI now.

Meerkat, glad to hear you got a TV. Hope it lasts & that you like the picture.

:Thankyou: Zanne. Its not nearly the one we had, picture is not great but it works and it didn'y cost much at all. I wanted a $2000 tv for $237.😃

Don't laugh at me, but we bought a sony visio for the homestead a year and a half ago when we moved here full time, and we haven't hooked it up yet. Its a 32 incher or so, as space is tight.

The intent was to watch occasional movies from our DVD collection during the long winter months. We do have it hooked up to the DVD, but we have not bothered to hook it up to the internet to watch TV. We haven't watched a DVD yet this winter, but I am sure the time will come. The fact is, except for an occasional college football game or watching Tucker Carlson, there is nothing I want to watch on TV since the Lost series ended years ago. The laptop or the Ipad work just fine for an occasional game or Tucker.

Me too AlaskaJ.
I need it to see better and watch occasional movie and my youtube videos. So what I got is ok. Just the difference is really noticeable,but also doable.

What's the resolution of whatever you're watching? That makes a big difference. Also IIRC, in settings for the screen you can set the default resolution.

Hubby hasbeen checking on that and did make it better byjust darkening the screen some. But he has so much to do and is in pain much of the time soemtimes worse han others. He uses ice but that is not good in winter. His heat pad burnt out. He got off pain meds about 10 yr go. Never could adjust to them. He is amazing but not supernatural, I don't think so anyway.:heart::dunno:

Hubby hasbeen checking on that and did make it better byjust darkening the screen some.
He may want to see if he can adjust the "Backlight" setting (which is not the same as the brightness setting).
I had to turn mine way down because I use mine to play "sleepy-bye" music on a timer to fall asleep at night.
It is a dark grey screen with only the Direct-TV logo floating around the screen.
With the backlight set at the default (max) it kept the whole dark bedroom lit up. The grey background was BRIGHT.
I had to turn it from 50 down to 20.
If you need, I can post screenshots of the before and after pictures, and how to do it... on a Samsung:rolleyes:.

He may want to see if he can adjust the "Backlight" setting (which is not the same as the brightness setting).
I had to turn mine way down because I use mine to play "sleepy-bye" music on a timer to fall asleep at night.
It is a dark grey screen with only the Direct-TV logo floating around the screen.
With the backlight set at the default (max) it kept the whole dark bedroom lit up. The grey background was BRIGHT.
I had to turn it from 50 down to 20.
If you need, I can post screenshots of the before and after pictures, and how to do it... on a Samsung:rolleyes:.

Thanks SuperV I'll get him to check on tht in the morning. It is still too bright for me. I bet that will fix it. :thumbs: .

Thanks SuperV I'll get him to check on tht in the morning. It is still too bright for me. I bet that will fix it. :thumbs: .
It's basically how lit up the dark colors are.
If you need screenshots, lemme know.

There are so many things that can affect the picture it's hard to give you advice.
Look for youtube videos that are about your specific TV. There will be an answer.
The first flatscreen TV I bought I connected it up to the cable box with a regular coax cable. When I switched to an HDMI cable the picture improved dramatically.
A newer model TV should have a far better picture than a 10 year old one.
They all have different preset modes for movies, dynamic, or normal viewing. Look for that.

I just can't believe 73 people have posted and this thread has been viewed by 433 people. Either we are bored, or need more topics. I wonder how many people will comment when I buy a new toaster?

Meerkat, maybe it is just our love for you?

LOL, we all can use all that we can get.:huggs:now about that toaster .I can help you :thumbs:with that. What you need?

1607630444665.png

I just can't believe 73 people have posted and this thread has been viewed by 433 people. Either we are bored, or need more topics. I wonder how many people will comment when I buy a new toaster?

Meerkat, maybe it is just our love for you?

Pop up toaster or a toaster oven? 🤭

We have a toaster oven. Problem is that mama is beginning to lose it, and forgets to remove the bread and cookies from the top of the oven when she makes toast. I threatened to toss it into the trash unless she finds another place to keep the bread and cookies, since I do not want my house catching on fire.

Latest posts

Back