Oven Canned Dill Pickles

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Have you ever had oven canned dill pickles? My cousin buys vegetables at a farmer's market from a Hutterite colony and canned up a bunch of gherkins this way. They were wonderful. I had to get the recipe and found out it is out there on the internet. I have yet to make them, but I sure want to.

The first one is for a quart of pickles. The second recipe is for a larger batch. If I were heating up my oven and canning, I would want to do more.

Oven dill pickles.JPG

This is the recipe I got from my cousin:

Loretta Lynn's Dill Pickles in the Oven

Recipe from Shirley K.

This recipe was Loretta Lynn's , the country singer.

DILL PICKLES IN THE OVEN.

6 cups of vinegar.
3 quarts of distilled or osmosis water.
One third cup of pickling salt.
Garlic..... one or two small pieces.
Alum size of pea.

Mix all together . Put pickles and dill in the jars. Pour liquid to within a fourth an inch to the top. Put hot seal and lids on. Screw tight. Place them on a cookie sheet a few inches apart on middle rack. Cook at 250 degrees for 3 hours. Take them out and they should seal.

Last edited:
Sure seems like they left out the dill. If I were trying it, (and I would), I would do half with dill and half without. Maybe doing the smaller recipe to try it. Would be nice if they are crunchy, mine always turn out mushy unless I do the 2 day pickles.

Says to put the dill on the bottom from the quart size suggestion although I see it doesn’t say how much. Most of our dills have been mushy too Snappy although not sure why.

I haven't done pickles in the oven before, but my Sweet Pea is coming for a visit tomorrow and think this may be a fun thing to do with her. We'll see how it goes :).

Sounds interesting, Weedy. Let me know if you try it.
I am going to try and get some gherkins from Bountiful Baskets, if they have them. I look at their form everytime they send it to me, but I have yet to purchase from them. Have you ever gotten anything from them?

I am also going to watch farmer's markets. If I can find them, along with dill, I will make some.

Sweet Pea had fun making these. She was in charge of dumping in each ingredient after being measured out. We didn't do too many just 11 pints, but at 2 1/2 I really didn't want to push her attention span. Thought this was an easy introduction for canning at her age since nothing she touched was preheated and didn't have to watch a boiling pot on the stove. We did place dill sprigs at the bottom of the jar and put in a half teaspoon of dill seed at the top. We made up 3 special jars for her daddy that had red pepper flakes added in. Waiting a few weeks to try them out but so far super easy.

These oven dill pickles turned out better than I thought they would I had a nice crunch to them. I will be adding in more dill next time I make them. I used two sprigs per jar and also added in a 1/2 teaspoon of dill seed.

These oven dill pickles turned out better than I thought they would I had a nice crunch to them. I will be adding in more dill next time I make them. I used two sprigs per jar and also added in a 1/2 teaspoon of dill seed.
I've never made them, but I ate some that my cousin made. That was why I wanted the recipe. I thought they were excellent.

Latest posts

Back