Paint n cold weather

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
We got the trim up around the windows n such. I wanted to paint them to look better. We use acrylic latex from Sherwin Williams. We painted a week ago, high temperatures in the low 40s low to 25 at night. Paint was dry to the touch in less than 30 minutes. Every looks great. I am asking because I posted I was going to do this on another site n got a bunch of guff from a couple folks. Kinda like it was going to all fall off. So it may have not been optimal temperatures. Would you have done this and will it be fine

That's pretty cold for painting. A month or so ago, we stained one of the decks (using Sherwin Williams) when temps got down to the upper 40's. Like you, we did it on a nice sunny day and it did dry to the touch quickly.

If it does dry but doesn't stick (you'll know in a few months as it may start to bubble or peal), what's the cost to you in terms of time/effort to re-do plus the cost of new paint to do it again? The paint may be dry to the touch but it may not adhere to the surface.

PS, don't let your paint in the can(s) freeze.

That's pretty cold for painting. A month or so ago, we stained one of the decks (using Sherwin Williams) when temps got down to the upper 40's. Like you, we did it on a nice sunny day and it did dry to the touch quickly.

If it does dry but doesn't stick (you'll know in a few months as it may start to bubble or peal), what's the cost to you in terms of time/effort to re-do plus the cost of new paint to do it again? The paint may be dry to the touch but it may not adhere to the surface.

PS, don't let your paint in the can(s) freeze.
My neighbor is a contractor and had his 3 story home repainted a couple years ago. He said that it has to be above 40 degrees outdoors to paint.

Yes, paint in cans should not be stored in places that freeze such as a shed or garage as the paint should not be allowed to freeze. It changes the paint and such paint is no longer good. I've known a couple people who have let it freeze, and then they painted with it. It was not good.

If I wanted painted trim, and there was any threat of freezing, I'd paint first and then put up the trim. What is done is done. Let us know how this holds up.

Everything appears to be working out great. The paint is completely dried. Yes I read the instructions. But I'm an Alaskan I guess. We kinda have to take chances with most work. I think it is fine, buy the way we painted more boards yesterday for the facia. I will let folks know how it all works out

Latest posts

Back