Pallet buy

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see free pallets on a regular basis. I had a pallet, stored in a dry spot. I gave it to a friend that had a use for it. Your area may be different but with all the free pallets here I wouldn’t expect people to pay much. YMMV

I see free pallets on a regular basis. I had a pallet, stored in a dry spot. I gave it to a friend that had a use for it. Your area may be different but with all the free pallets here I wouldn’t expect people to pay much. YMMV
Many warehouses have to pay recyclers to carry pallets off.
depositphotos_86559958-stock-photo-pallets-in-the-warehouse.jpg

I think he means buying pallets of returned products not actual pallets.
Havasu brought up a topic about people scamming costco
This triggered a thought about buying pallets from big box or Amazon. And turning a “maybe” profit

Has anyone done this? I have not but have thought about it
I have recently looking into the pallet buys from Amazon and others but I will hold off until maybe late summer. Hopefully cash is a little more available then for the initial investment.

This is covering two kinds of sales...pallets stacked with things to sell, or empty pallets.
My LH brought home a few for me at one time. We were gonna make some stuff out of the wood because the wood on some of them was pretty nice! Didn't happen but could probably work as firewood if needed.
I like the idea of having a pallet full of a needed item and selling it.
What do you guys think would be some good things to sell?

That's what the bin stores sell in our bigger town. We have two bin stores. They are usually overstock items and amazon returns. Things are pricey on Fridays, by Wednesday, they're 1.99, and Thursday is always 99 cent bin day.
There is one of those in town.
It's a mess. Stuff scattered all over in NO order.
We went one time and haven't been back.

There is a store nearby where they sold such goods. For the first year or two, it was nice to go and find a bargain. Then, they got fancy and started charging like almost retail. I don’t know if it was a greed thing, or if they had to, to cover losses on unsellable stuff. I’m thinking it was more of a greed thing. A color coding system is used to mark down prices each week.
Smart shoppers who know their prices or can wait for a sale to buy it new with warranties or guarantees don’t go, but a few do/did. I believe that this last spring they gave it up and switched to groceries and odd things.
On Facebook, there are sellers openly selling pallet goods at near retail prices.
It’s a gamble. Hopefully the box hasn’t been picked over first.
Our mailman bought a box for resale. He didn’t sound too positive about the experience.
If I can’t sell nicer things that I’ve picked up at sales, I wouldn’t take the chance on buying a batch of unknowns and dealing with storing or disposing of a mass of things that no one may want.
A storage unit auction, or unclaimed stuff from the airport sale might be more productive.

Two auctions this week. Food sells real well. Huge market for salvage groceries.

Ours is not too bad. The worst thing about one of the stores is that everything is in it's original box and sometimes you don't know what's in it and you have to bring it to a special table to open it, and leave it there if you don't want it. Trying to decipher what it could be by looking at the mini description on the bar code on the box is interesting.

Our state capital has a disposal auction occasionally. Everything from pickups to pallets of computers. Some good deals if you are wise and check prices or if it is cheap and you take a chance. A friend bought a pallet of computers and they worked so he gave us one for free.
If the buying of pallets or bins of stuff from returns was really a good deal the pallets would probably all be bought by the big sellers......maybe that is what happens now, the really good stuff gets bought by the insiders and the rest gets sold to the average person. We have a bin store that just opened and it is nothing special...

I like the idea of having a pallet full of a needed item and selling it.
What do you guys think would be some good things to sell?
With purchasing palletized assorted items you can only partially choose what you are buying. They stack a variety of items on a pallet and list it for a greatly reduced price. You could get several assorted hair care items like curlers and hair driers, and maybe various small electronics, and it could also include some power tools or clothing or any other type of items. It is bulk assorted items. But, for people who regularly do yard sales or flea markets you could do well turning them for a profit especially if you are willing to sell a $200 item for $50 or $75, which when you divide your total cost by a few hundred items may have only cost you $5 or $10. But, you might also get a bunch of less popular items, I saw one last week that listed 50 pairs of womens high waisted cotton panties in mostly larger sizes. But, if you turn the good stuff relatively fast and donate the unpopular stuff you can have room for the next pallet. However you need a way to unload a pallet off a truck.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Bulk-Liquidations/b?node=23511005011
Click on one of the show assortments and scroll down a bit for a list of items and quantities.

What is the Amazon Bulk Liquidations Store?​

The Amazon Bulk Liquidations Store is a closed-beta program that sells ‘lots’ of Amazon or third-party seller items. A lot is defined as a group of items offered for sale as a single listing.

What types of products will I find here?​

Lots are composed of either overstock (new and unopened) or damaged items (returned by customer or damaged during processing). The products are sold by either Amazon or Third-Party Sellers. Each lot is either entirely sourced from Amazon’s inventory or aggregated from one or more third-party sellers’ inventory.

There are lots of companies that do this sort of thing. They bid on entire inventories of stores that went out of business. Bank foreclosures and returned items from bulk sellers.

Had a cousin who started a business in atlanta doing this back in the 80's. Made millions then sold the business. He had crews, warehouses, the infrastructure necessary to resale everything and make a profit.

If you try to make money doing this sort of thing... You're competing with companies that buy semi-truck loads and resell for pennies on the dollar.

But, pallets are handy for stacking hay. I'd scrounge up, 50 or so each year. One of the best sources for 'pallets' is newspaper companies...

Hay stack b  (10)b.jpg

Last edited:
There are lots of companies that do this sort of thing. They bid on entire inventories of stores that went out of business. Bank foreclosures and returned items from bulk sellers.

Had a cousin who started a business in atlanta doing this back in the 80's. Made millions then sold the business. He had crews, warehouses, the infrastructure necessary to resale everything and make a profit.

If you try to make money doing this sort of thing... You're competing with companies that buy semi-truck loads and resell for pennies on the dollar.

But, pallets are handy for stacking hay. I'd scrounge up, 50 or so each year. One of the best sources for 'pallets' is newspaper companies...

View attachment 126031
you can use them to frame walls for a house also. I covered my barn floor with them then shagged out plywood over that
Sub floor is concrete, but zi do not worry about rain water , run off water
Only about a big ole rattler I saw in there

I am not afraid of competition bring it on. I thrive under stress. lol.

When I was fresh out of college and living in Kansas City, I had a student whose father did this kind of thing for a living. He would buy warehouses of goods and resell them. I don't know what his financial background was. He bought the Russell Stover mansion for $40,000 in the 1970's. He heated the mansion by burning wood in all of the fireplaces and there were many fireplaces. Every bedroom had a fireplace and there were more around the place. It might be a little warm some days and he would open the windows if it was warmer outside than inside. We all know that fireplaces are not efficient at heating a home.

https://kcyesterday.com/articles/di...the-founders-of-stover-candies-in-kansas-city

Latest posts

Back