Pam's Pride Recommendations

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I only post this link for you, as I've been checking out her posts each day for a few years, and have many books that were free, or very low price.

It's how I found some of the authors I read all the time. She is focused on homesteading and prepping books.

http://pamspriderecommendations.com/

Thanks. Will check it out.

Hello... my name is Kevin ... and I like books....

My biggest problem with reading, even though I average 300+ books a year, so many books, so little money. I think I have about 5,000 titles on my kindle app, another couple thousand in Ibooks, maybe 750+ print copies. Gave away, donated and sold nearly 50 2cubic foot boxes of books when we downsized, and a number of years before that gave away a van full of reference stuff to a local school for the gifted.

Did I mention I like books...

I only post this link for you, as I've been checking out her posts each day for a few years, and have many books that were free, or very low price.

It's how I found some of the authors I read all the time. She is focused on homesteading and prepping books.

She used to be pretty active on PS. She would post her recommendations there every morning. She would also post a list of free books for any given day but if I recall correctly, Amazon gave her some grief about it. I looked but couldn't find a way to contact her through the blog.

Thanks. Will check it out.

Hello... my name is Kevin ... and I like books....

My biggest problem with reading, even though I average 300+ books a year, so many books, so little money. I think I have about 5,000 titles on my kindle app, another couple thousand in Ibooks, maybe 750+ print copies. Gave away, donated and sold nearly 50 2cubic foot boxes of books when we downsized, and a number of years before that gave away a van full of reference stuff to a local school for the gifted.

Did I mention I like books...
I don't read that many books, but I too have too many books. More than once I have given away 50 boxes of books, mostly what was left from listing books on my Amazon bookstore. I sell what is worth selling, cull what may be something worth having for preparedness and other, and then give the rest away, often to thrift stores, a box or two at a time, but once in a while, list on Craigslist and have someone come and take them away.

She's one of my Facebook Friends. She also, use to post in Survival on HT. But, I'm thinking it may have been HT owners (I forget which ones) that thought not good. I'll ask her.
She used to post in PS, but a few years ago she stopped. I am not sure if something happened or not. I thought it might have had to do with her family. I think she has around 6 children and maybe home schools them. That would keep any of us busy.

I have gone almost exclusively to Kindle, as I have the app on my phone, and have Kindle and Fires for various uses. Lately I've been doing one thing, and having the Fire Text to Talk read a book to me so I can do more than one thing at a time. Also, a Kindle makes it easy to carry 3000 books around in my purse.

I have gone almost exclusively to Kindle, as I have the app on my phone, and have Kindle and Fires for various uses. Lately I've been doing one thing, and having the Fire Text to Talk read a book to me so I can do more than one thing at a time. Also, a Kindle makes it easy to carry 3000 books around in my purse.
I had no idea there was something out there that could read a book to you, except if you are visually limited, then you can use books on tape from the Library for the Blind. Are those books pre-recorded by someone, or are they more of a robotic type recording?

Just get any Kindle Fire. And go to settings, keyboard, and then text to talk. And there are different voices, female/male and can get others. It reads the book to you. The voice is slightly computer sounding, like a talking GPS.
And this is not the audioble that sells for more that is a real person reading a book to you that you can buy from Amazon. Or subscribe to.
I have been sewing and listening to the book read itself to me, and the pages "turn" when the reading gets to that point. Very cool. I just got my aunt to use it on her Fire as she has Macular Degeneration and had given up on books and she loves books, so this is wonderful for her.

She used to be pretty active on PS. She would post her recommendations there every morning. She would also post a list of free books for any given day but if I recall correctly, Amazon gave her some grief about it. I looked but couldn't find a way to contact her through the blog.

I remember Pam! Good to hear she is still out pushing the lifestyle.

Thanks for posting this.... I have always appreciated Pam's recommendations. I hope she finds her way over here. Can you put a sticky on this thread so it stays at the top?

My ideal electronic book, stays electronic until I open it then hands me a physical copy bound in fine leather with real vellum pages and coloured inks, and it is open to the page I want. I don’t think I will be around long enough to see the technology. I would like ideally to have a hard bound physical copy of every book/document I have electronically but that won’t happen, too much money to do and no space to store them

I know, that’s why I have so many electronic titles but I’m a dinosaur and prefer books

dino.gif

I can see you now! You'd have to be short sighted if you were a t-rex though!

I've gotten some great books off Pam's list which has included several of JDY's books at no cost on Kindle (you have to snag them the day Pam publishes her list). His book, The Hermit, was excellent. A reminder to everyone - please take a few moments to post an objective review on Amazon as soon as you finish the book.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back