PAPER PLATES & BOWLS & "What else....????

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When someone has five shooting ranges on their homestead, they need a "LOT" of targets. Paper Plates make good targets.

I am curious why you would want 100s of disposable plates and cups instead of one plate, one bowl, and one cup?

I have FIVE. They are on the "Outhouse" Range. The biggest one weighs 65 pounds, I had to backpack it up the mountain.

Well.........I'll admit I have long thought shooting steel was super silly, and fairly childish. Especially off a shooting bench with deluxe sandbags.

I have five shooting ranges here on my homestead, and I have slowly become bored with three of them, I know that is true, because I need to fire-up one of the dozers and plow the new growth of brush and young trees, or just be honest with myself and abandon them.

The range that I use the most is......"The Outhouse Range". I call it the outhouse range because it is the one I walk (or sometime hurry) past on the way to, yep' the outhouse. Now my neighbors think it is funny, and seem to derive great pleasure in scaring the crap out of me, before I reach the old doorless one hole butt freezer. I do appreciate that most of them hibernate about five months a year. It is because of this occasional problem that I find it prudent to always invite a "problem solver" for this short adventure walk.

And so over the years, it has become a habit to clean the bore with a few "Snap" Point n'Shoot shots at the permanent targets on that "Outhouse Range".

It being my nature to be lazy, and this laziness seems to becoming a 24 hour lifestyle as I drift through my mid seventies phase of physical deterioration and accelerating dementia. Now, I have noticed that someone is neglecting to maintain the permanent wood targets.

So I have just invested in several 1/2" thick Gongs. Now......here is how I am rationalizing this. (To be continued, if I can maybe concoct a plausible rationalization). Till then, I just figure it will be fun. At least I am not "Shooting Steel"..........I am shooting "Gongs". There is a difference, and besides you never know when you might be attacked by hordes of angry "Gang'gaGongs".

New "Yucky" aerobic program. I should have thought about exactly who was going to be packing these 45 pound 18" Gongs up the mountain to the cabin. Seems that I am getting little old for two at a time.

(I really need to find a good woman that can pack freight and butcher Moose, while looking sexy).

So several gongs are hanging now on the "Outhouse" range. I marked off the 10 yard line, as it would pee me off to accidently poke holes in my $150.00 to $200.00 each gong, especially after lugging them up the mountain.

(I really need to find a good woman that can pack freight and butcher Moose, while looking sexy).

150 rounds today, and I have learned two things. I am not nearly as fast as I thought I was, and gongs don't ring or make any noise for those who are half deaf and wearing high quality ear muffs, even from 10 yards. The good news is that I have many thousands of rounds, that I packed up the mountain when I was younger and not half deaf.

Purchase AR500 steel targets and besides an occasional coat of spray paint, they last forever.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back