1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living. We are glad you came to visit.
    Dismiss Notice

Parents Charged With Abandoning Adopted Girl ...

Discussion in 'News of the Day' started by Sentry18, Oct 12, 2019 at 4:25 PM.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 12, 2019 at 4:25 PM #1

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

Well, that's a weird story.

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesma...n-adult-with-dwarfism-q0lPSpfKzEqObCmC3SMHiA/

phideaux, Amish Heart and Caribou like this.
  2. Oct 12, 2019 at 5:00 PM #2

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

This is a weird story. I read it a while ago. Was she a minor or was she an adult?

phideaux and Sentry18 like this.
  3. Oct 12, 2019 at 5:24 PM #3

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

I am not sure if we will know until the court case is resolved.

4. Oct 12, 2019 at 5:25 PM #4

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Here's a picture of the girl/woman/whatever.

18676566-7479061-image-m-66_1568912310048.jpg

Caribou and Weedygarden like this.
  5. Oct 12, 2019 at 5:31 PM #5

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

6. Oct 12, 2019 at 5:31 PM #6

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

If there has been enough playing with documents, etc., we may never even know then. Her adoption papers may say she is so and so, born on this day, but she may be someone else completely different, and someone set out to prosper on lies made up about her.

Caribou, phideaux and Sentry18 like this.
  7. Oct 12, 2019 at 5:33 PM #7

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Many people have adopted children in this world and it turned out okay. Some people have adopted children and it was a nightmare. I have a few stories, some of people I have known personally, some from the news.

Sentry18, Caribou and phideaux like this.
  8. Oct 12, 2019 at 5:55 PM #8

phideaux

phideaux

phideaux

Spectator of Life Neighbor

My wife and I are very involved with several foster kids at our church. B spend lots of time with them....very easy to get attached.

I can't imagine abandoning a child.

We talk about adopting, a lot...but we are in our 70s hard to do now.
    Plus , wouldn't be fair to the kids , knowing we can't do what's needed and we may not be around much longer.

Jim

Terri9630, Sentry18 and Caribou like this.
  9. Oct 12, 2019 at 6:16 PM #9

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Many people don't think they will abandon a child until the child becomes their worst nightmare. Friend (and neighbor) and her husband adopted a girl from Korea who ended up being physically abusive and lying about what went on. She had been physically abusive for a long time, and through their own treatment, figured they had to get a grip on boundaries. Daughter threw a mug at her mother one day and hit her in the face when they were having the morning battle of her going to school. She tried every day to stay home so she could harass her mother. They called the police. Daughter went off to a facility that couldn't handle her. She was sent to a long term program in Utah and then to another one in Texas. She could never come to terms with what was real and what wasn't. She was in the programs for a few years and could never move forward. She claimed father abused her. He didn't. She was the abuser. She will never be allowed "home" again. She is a junior in college, parents paying for everything. They haven't seen her since her h.s. graduation. Parents treated for PTSD.

The diagnosis for this child and others I have known is RAD, reactive attachment disorder. They are in a place with foster parents for a while after birth, then removed and sent to adoptive parents. The timing is wrong with bonding and they are emotionally a mess. There is no real effective treatment. Treatments have been tried with many.

I've got many more stories about this kind of situation.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 7:56 PM
  10. Oct 12, 2019 at 6:24 PM #10

phideaux

phideaux

phideaux

Spectator of Life Neighbor

That's another reason we can't adopt..
    I have seen one boy ,13 years old that couldn't be handled.

Jim

11. Oct 12, 2019 at 6:26 PM #11

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

I have been to some calls over adopted kids where the nightmare was real. Once a 9 year old adopted boy just out of the blue stabbed his adopted mom in her sleep. Turned out he had a very violent childhood that was never disclosed to the adoptive parents.

On the other hand one of my wife's coworkers has 3 adopted children and they are all just a joy.

12. Oct 12, 2019 at 7:50 PM #12

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

I think it takes a certain personality to be able to handle difficult children. Many just do not have that. Some of these children have power struggles forever. A parent who does not know how not to engage in a power struggle with a child, will always lose, even when they think they have won.
    The following story was all over our local news for a while.

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/09/23/us/woman-sentenced-to-22-years-in-death-of-adopted-son.html

Woman Sentenced to 22 Years in Death of Adopted Son
    By Katharine Q. Seelye

• Sept. 23, 1997
    Four years ago, Renee and David Polreis adopted a baby boy, Isaac. The affluent couple had such a good experience that they wanted their son to have a brother. In August 1995, after giving up on another domestic adoption because of what seemed like endless red tape, they flew to Russia and adopted a blond, blue-eyed boy they named David.

Six months later, David was dead, with deep bruises all over his body.

Mrs. Polreis was charged with child abuse resulting in the death. What set her case apart was her defense. In a legal first, her lawyers argued that David, who was 2 years and 10 months old, suffered from a rare illness called reactive attachment disorder that may have led him to inflict his own injuries, which in turn led to his death.

The prosecution branded this defense ''voodoo'' and said Mrs. Polreis, 44, was guilty of clear-cut child abuse. After a two-week trial in July, a jury here in the high plains of northeast Colorado convicted her in just two hours. She did not testify in her own defense and her husband, mother and brother were witnesses for the prosecution.

Today Mrs. Polreis, who said she was appealing the verdict, was sentenced to 22 years in prison. Under Colorado law, she faced between 16 and 48 years.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

This does not tell about what happened when she killed her son. RAD children often attach to one of the parents and are defiant against the other. That was what happened in this case. He was defiant where his adoptive mother was concerned, even at such a young age. After dealing with this child for six months, the parents decided that the father and other child would leave for the weekend, and David and the mother would work it out. Well, before the weekend was over, he was dead.

Sentry18, phideaux and Caribou like this.
  13. Oct 12, 2019 at 8:01 PM #13

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Another article about the previous story.

Boy's killer says she 'lost it'

By Theresa Myers
    Special to The Denver Post

June 14, 2000 - GREELEY - A 47-year-old Greeley woman, convicted in 1997 of killing her adopted son, said she "just lost it" after finding the boy and her laundry room covered with feces, adding that she repeatedly hit the toddler with a rubber spatula.

"I pushed the door open to the laundry room, and there was feces all over the floor, all over the walls," a tearful Renee Polreis testified during a hearing in Weld District Court on Tuesday.

"He had the handle of the rubber spatula, and he was cramming it up his behind. I grabbed it and pulled it out. ... Then he jumped at me. I hit him with the spatula."

Polreis testified for the first time Tuesday after being convicted in 1997 of child abuse resulting in death in connection with the murder of 2-yearold David Polreis, who had been adopted from a Russian orphanage six months before he died at Children's Hospital in Denver. She remained silent about the incident during her arrest and trial. Polreis was in court asking to have her 22-year prison sentence reduced. Judge Roger Klein, who originally sentenced Polreis, took the request under advisement after the hearing, saying he will rule on the issue within two weeks.

Polreis said she came forward with her story hoping she could leave prison and return to her family.

"My strongest hope would be that I could go home, of course," Polreis said. However, Klein can only reduce her sentence to 16 years. Polreis' attorney, Harvey Steinberg, asked the judge to make that reduction and asked that it be served in a community corrections facility.

Steinberg characterized Polreis as a "good person who did a bad thing." "The evidence is overwhelming at this point that Renee Polreis is a good person," Steinberg said.

"Renee Polreis has done everything she could to make this right." Polreis testified she had sought help for herself and David from family, friends and two therapists, who diagnosed the child with reactive attachment disorder. Polreis said David would fly into fits of rage, pull at his genitals, bite her and her other adopted son, Isaac, and deliberately urinate and defecate on caregivers.

The disorder is reportedly associated with adopted children who have been neglected or abused as infants.

Polreis said she was afraid of David and "just lost it" the night she beat him with the spatula. She testified she doesn't remember how many times or how long she hit the child.

David died the next day, after enduring what officials at Children's Hospital described as a "severe beating." The autopsy report indicated David died after he choked on his own vomit.

"I sat back and I watched all this happen," testified Renee's husband, Dave, who said he heard her version of the events for the first time Tuesday in court. "She asked me for help and I wasn't there for her. This could happen to anyone."

District Attorney Al Dominguez asked Klein to honor his original sentence.

"We still have so many unanswered questions," Dominguez said. "There were two people in that house. One was a child, and that child is dead. He died an unseemly, untimely and most vicious death."

Copyright 2000 The Denver Post. All rights reserved.

Sentry18 likes this.
  14. Oct 14, 2019 at 5:41 PM #14

Terri9630

Terri9630

Terri9630

Internet Princess Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

You can find a children's home and sponsor a kid(s). Spend time with them and let them know someone cares. It means the world to them.

Sentry18 and phideaux like this.
  15. Oct 14, 2019 at 6:06 PM #15

camo2460

camo2460

camo2460

Awesome Friend Neighbor

Take a look at the Girls Picture again, she's supposed to be a Child, but she has Adult Teeth. As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't have anything to do with anyone or anything from Ukraine, that Country is about as Corrupt as they come.

Terri9630 and Sentry18 like this.