Part II of home packed: the minimalist GHB

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I'm a homebody, if I ever go ten miles from home, its a rarity, so I plan accordingly. you might have just read Home packed MREs, increase or decrease at your whims, but here is my mini GHB my gimped butt can carry and not drop dead:
Starting with a 308 sized magazine pouch, in it goes:
a 2$ truck stop poncho and space blanket.
My Altoids can candle.
Leatherman multitool.
Quality pocket knife.
LED flashlight+ batteries.
List of phone numbers.
50 feet of nylon twine.
MACE.
1 pill bottle with my daily dosages+caffeine+B vitamins+ 4 goody powders. (just use what you like.)+Rolaids.
Hard candy.
A "Skoal" can full of fire starter ribbon+ several BIC lighters and Maybe, just MAYBE room for a cell phone battery booster, I don't own either but there is still a bit of room.
Put ranger bands around the outside and store it next to the bag with the home packed MREs and medical kit.

Because someone will ask:
Fire starter ribbon is cotton cord about 1/4" in diameter soaked in Borax, allowed to fully dry and covered in paraffin, then rolled up and put into a smokeless tobacco can so you can use as little or as much as needed.

HUH. I think I'll add a dozen nails, JIC.
EDIT:
And because Chaosdawn inspires me, an 8X10 cover. they're almost weightless!

Last edited:
I'm a homebody, if I ever go ten miles from home, its a rarity, so I plan accordingly. you might have just read Home packed MREs, increase or decrease at your whims, but here is my mini GHB my gimped butt can carry and not drop dead:
My Altoids can candle.
Leatherman multitool.
Quality pocket knife.
List of phone numbers.
50 feet of nylon twine.
MACE.
1 pill bottle with my daily dosages+caffeine+B vitamins+ 4 goody powders. (just use what you like.)+Rolaids.
Hard candy.
A "Skoal" can full of fire starter ribbon+ several BIC lighters and Maybe, just MAYBE room for a cell phone battery booster, I don't own either but there is still a bit of room.
Put ranger bands around the outside and store it next to the bag with the home packed MREs and medical kit.

Fire starter ribbon is cotton cord about 1/4" in diameter soaked in Borax, allowed to fully dry and covered in paraffin, then rolled up and put into a smokeless tobacco can so you can use as little or as much as needed.

EDIT:

All good stuff. I would add some kind of water bottle.

Thank you for the reminder. I need to go through my bag and update it. I know I have way too much stuff to carry. Someone was telling me that he knows several people who have collapsible wagons and that they have so many uses. If we were to ever be afoot, having something with wheels could be especially helpful for someone like me who has back problems.

My Altoids can candle.
Leatherman multitool.
Quality pocket knife.
List of phone numbers.
50 feet of nylon twine.
MACE.
Hard candy.

EDIT:
I'd suggest adding some fishing line and hooks, they don't take up any space or weight. Also a dozen small animal snares. They take up very little space too.

I believe I would find a way to seal the Skoal can. I've learned the hard way, they're not waterproof.

The fire cord is a good idea. I'm big on cotton balls that have been slathered with petroleum jelly. Tear it apart to expose the dry cotton in the center and light it up. It'll burn for several minutes. But they do tend to be messy.

For any diabetics out there - the little plastic canisters that blood glucose test strips are packed in, are waterproof in my tests, weigh nothing, and can hold whatever will fit. I like to cut the strike anywhere matches down to fit (if I can find them, that is) and then tape rough sandpaper to the side of the canister. Then put dryer lint or the aforementioned petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls in another canister. Bam, instant fire...

Much of the afore mentioned plus, a signal mirror, a few Ramen flavour packs, dental floss, glow stick. My kit was for when I was 50 or 100 miles from the closest house. Dental floss is strong and you can use it o make a shelter etc. Use the dental floss attached to the glow stick, spin it around your head and you have an 8' to 10' green circle to attractive attention of a plane or other searcher.

I believe I would find a way to seal the Skoal can. I've learned the hard way, they're not waterproof.

The fire cord is a good idea. I'm big on cotton balls that have been slathered with petroleum jelly. Tear it apart to expose the dry cotton in the center and light it up. It'll burn for several minutes. But they do tend to be messy.

For any diabetics out there - the little plastic canisters that blood glucose test strips are packed in, are waterproof in my tests, weigh nothing, and can hold whatever will fit. I like to cut the strike anywhere matches down to fit (if I can find them, that is) and then tape rough sandpaper to the side of the canister. Then put dryer lint or the aforementioned petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls in another canister. Bam, instant fire...

I have found Gorilla Tape works pretty well sealing an Altoids tin. I would expect it would work on a Skoal can. I never tested it to see how long it would remain waterproof, but it did float for at least a few minutes. Long enough that if you dropped it in a lake, you would be able to retrieve it pretty easily.

Latest posts

Back