Paypal

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I wonder if any of you use Paypal? Years ago I did, and now I want to send someone some money, but I have to submit a photo identification and my social security card. Personally, I am not interested in giving either of those to anyone that can be saved, and then later hacked into, because we know it will be.

What about you?

Not me. I do it the old fashioned way and wire it. PayPal has been known to freeze accounts with 10s of thousands of dollars in it and not release it for 6+ months.

@Weedygarden you should be able to just send money to anyone just using someone's email address without ID through PayPal. Should just be able to click on send money, the amount and enter in the persons PayPal account email. This is how we do it here but you may have different rules there but I would give it a try this way.

I've had paypal since before they were paypal. They were originally x.com and offered real checking accounts. I had one.
I've never had an issue with them and the one time I called, the guy was asking me about the x.com because he had never seen it noted on an account before.

They also noted on my account that they won't hold funds if there is a dispute on me, because of my length of time and track record.

Not me. I do it the old fashioned way and wire it. PayPal has been known to freeze accounts with 10s of thousands of dollars in it and not release it for 6+ months.

I have heard of this kind of thing happening, too. In the cases that I saw, the freezes had something to do with the seller in the transaction not acting in good faith. The seller's account was frozen but only in the amount of the disputed transaction.

I created a bank account for using PayPal, Amazon, etc. I don't use it to stash a lot of money or pay bills with it. That way, if something ever goes awry with a transaction (never has), I won't have my bills compromised.

Last edited:
I have heard of this kind of thing happening, too. In the cases that I saw, the freezes had something to do with the seller in the transaction not acting in good faith. The seller's account was frozen but only in the amount of the disputed transaction.

I created a bank account for using PayPal, Amazon, etc. I don't use it to stash a lot of money or pay bills with it. That way, if something ever goes awry with a transaction (never has), I won't have my bills compromised.
I have created an account that is only for my business sales on Etsy, Amazon, Teachers pay Teachers. The only thing it gets used for is when I have sales, and me using the funds when I have special purchases, such as new tires or something of that sort.

No often, but I have with no problem.
I was selling wild plants on line & the buyer would only pay though pay pal.
So that's why I used it.

Like I said, I probably haven't used Paypal in over 10 years. Periodically I would get emails from Paypal saying my account was something, shuttered, but not shut down. I often thought that was perhaps phishing so I never responded. I did tell them I was not going to give them my photo ID or my SS #. That seems scary as hell to me.

This is probably off point, but I believe I read something from eBay a while back that they are going to start using a different payment system. Don't remember the name or when it will start. Like I said, maybe irrelevant to this conversation.

Paypal will still be an option until 2023. Ayden will be the new processer for ebay. They claim it will be "more" seamless. Ebay bought paypal in 2002 which made the buying and selling a no brainer for them, they made money on both ends, but split in 2015.

Seller is pay by PayPal only, I cancel my order.

Many times if I scroll down past "pay by PayPal" there is an option to pay by CC.
It seems as though when you want to order something, lets say for $20, some of those places can almost double that price by the time you have taxes, shipping and handling, and paypal fees. It is too bad that people haven't figured it out. I have done lots of selling on Teacher's Pay Teachers, Etsy, Amazon and ebay's now defunct half.com. Paypal has just been an added step, and I have done everything to avoid it and it's additional fees.

Last edited:
Paypal will still be an option until 2023. Ayden will be the new processer for ebay. They claim it will be "more" seamless. Ebay bought paypal in 2002 which made the buying and selling a no brainer for them, they made money on both ends, but split in 2015.

I watched an 11 minute video last night about the transition. Biggest point was NOT to opt in to the new system unless you really understand it as once you opt in you cannot get back out. Also, at first, when you opt in, your buyers can no longer use pay pal at all. I think I will wait a while!

New email from Paypal:

Dear XX,

We emailed you a little while ago to ask for your help resolving an issue
with your account.

What's the problem?

Before we can offer you certain products and services, federal regulations
require that we collect specific information to verify your identity. This
information includes your name, address, date of birth, and National Tax ID
or Social Security Number. We haven't been able to verify your identity
using the information you provided, so we need some additional
documentation from you.

Until this issue is resolved, you'll be able to log in to your PayPal
account but you might not be able to add money to it or use some of your
account features.

Case ID Number: PP-xxxxxxxxxxx

How you can help

It's usually pretty easy to take care of things like this. Most of the
time, we just need a little more information about your account or latest
transactions.

Please log in to your account and go to the Resolution Center to find out
what you need to do. If we don't hear from you soon, we may limit what you
can do with your account until the issue is resolved.

Sincerely,
PayPal

New email from Paypal:

Dear XX,

with your account.

What's the problem?

documentation from you.

account features.

How you can help

transactions.

Sincerely,
PayPal

NO in big capital letters.
I haven't seen anything like that from PayPal.
I was notified this morning that someone in Russia hacked into my gmail account but they were blocked.
Not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about that.

New email from Paypal:

Dear XX,

with your account.

What's the problem?

documentation from you.

account features.

How you can help

transactions.

Sincerely,
PayPal

SCAM....phishing your private info..
Delete and block.

Back