Peanut Butter

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Who don't love PB,

Guess what today is...
http://www.ibtimes.com/national-peanut-butter-day-2018-10-fun-facts-celebrate-holiday-2644604

1. With all of the debate over whether creamy or chunky peanut butter is better, studies have been conducted to figure out the answer. As it turns out, men prefer chunky peanut butter, while women and children prefer creamy. In addition, where you're from may also indicate your preference. People who live on the East Coast of the US prefer creamy, while chunky wins out on the West Coast.
  2. A single 12 oz. Jar of peanut butter requires about 540 peanuts to be made. In order to make 30,000 peanut butter sandwiches, you would also need an entire acre of peanuts.
  3. Anywhere between 75 and 90 percent of American homes have a jar of peanut butter in them.

Jim

I have tried to grow peanuts with zero luck so far. It is interesting to think about how many peanuts it would take to make a jar of peanut butter. One plant would probably just yield a couple peanuts. But those of you in more southern states could probably raise a jar's worth or two. We know Georgia is a big producer of peanuts. Has anyone here ever raised peanuts? If so, how did that turn out?

We always grew peanuts in the garden as a kid. It's a 120 day crop. We'd use a flat bottom plow to turn the over when ready, grandpa used a mule to pull it. Afterwards we'd hang the plants in the barn to dry. The peanuts would be separated from the plants later. Oh, 1 plant will yield 40 to 80 peanuts.

I keep this in storage , also

fc69e869-3298-421f-816c-21dfe45766ce_1.9779fb6b23332c9f2b696cd1b965f96e.jpeg

Jim

When we first began putting food away we heard that Peanut Butter was going to go up in price dramatically. We stored a lot of it (JIF) that was purchased at Sams. We just finished the last of it off. The expiration date on the jars was 2011. It tasted just like it did when purchased.

When we first began putting food away we heard that Peanut Butter was going to go up in price dramatically. We stored a lot of it (JIF) that was purchased at Sams. We just finished the last of it off. The expiration date on the jars was 2011. It tasted just like it did when purchased.

I am sitting here, now with peanut butter from 2012 ... on Ritz crackers, also from 2012 :eyeballs:. I stocked up and when kids went to college, we just didn't go through it as fast as we used to. Last time I bought a small jar of PB (actually I bought a couple of dozen) , I only paid .89 cents at a discount grocer. I *LOVE* discount grocers!

I keep this in storage , also

fc69e869-3298-421f-816c-21dfe45766ce_1.9779fb6b23332c9f2b696cd1b965f96e.jpeg

Jim
I have some peanut butter powder from Emergency Essentials. I remember being concerned abut the shelf life when I got it, thinking it said 5 year shelf life. I am not home to look at it, but their website says it is shelf stable for 25 years. A #10 can currently runs $15.95, plus shipping. There are 89 servings of 2 tablespoons each per can. It can be used dry in cooking or reconstituted.

I've grown peanuts here in southern Ohio. Ditto what Phideaux said about loose soil! They've done well in a raised bed with very loose soil - they didn't do so well in a bed that I thought was loose, but apparently not loose enough.

And yes, one plant definitely gives you more than a few peanuts. :)

".... As it turns out, men prefer chunky peanut butter, while women and children prefer creamy. ..."

I prefer creamy.

Does that mean I am not a "real man"?

I eat the stuff with a spoon.

I did the same thing. Store it in a cool, dark basement. Right now I'm using a jar with a "Best By" date of 3-12.

Creamy :)

Who don't love PB,

Guess what today is...
http://www.ibtimes.com/national-peanut-butter-day-2018-10-fun-facts-celebrate-holiday-2644604

1. With all of the debate over whether creamy or chunky peanut butter is better, studies have been conducted to figure out the answer. As it turns out, men prefer chunky peanut butter, while women and children prefer creamy. In addition, where you're from may also indicate your preference. People who live on the East Coast of the US prefer creamy, while chunky wins out on the West Coast.
  2. A single 12 oz. Jar of peanut butter requires about 540 peanuts to be made. In order to make 30,000 peanut butter sandwiches, you would also need an entire acre of peanuts.
  3. Anywhere between 75 and 90 percent of American homes have a jar of peanut butter in them.

Jim

We keep two jars in our house. Chunky for my wife and smooooth for me. I had a peanut butter and Bread&butter pickle sammich for lunch today!

I have chunky for me and the goats. Don't laugh!! Have you ever tried to give a goat a pill? Put the pill in the middle of a spoonful of peanut butter and by the time they crunch into the pill their mouth is coated with PB and they can't spit out the pill if they happen to notice its not a peanut.

I have chunky for me and the goats. Don't laugh!! Have you ever tried to give a goat a pill? Put the pill in the middle of a spoonful of peanut butter and by the time they crunch into the pill their mouth is coated with PB and they can't spit out the pill if they happen to notice its not a peanut.
One of the dogs I care for takes 8 pills a day. She is also a picky eater. She will eat all her food one day, and the next, walk away from it. She used to get her pills in peanut butter, but one day decided she didn't like it. Now she gets her meds in cream cheese. She will eat p.b. if you just give her a little. It may have been that the variety of p.b. that her pills were in may have changed.

Peanut butter is great! I stock up on a case whenever I see it at 1.50 a jar or less. We put add ins alot to make Amish Peanut Butter. It's put on church cookies, which is like a fluffy sugar cookie.
Just add marshmallow creme and some maple syrup to the peanut butter and stir well. It's good on toast, too. Only use creamy peanut butter for that.
I love pbj sandwiches. Especially with fig jam. Husband prefers crunchy pb with blackberry jam

We keep two jars in our house. Chunky for my wife and smooooth for me. I had a peanut butter and Bread&butter pickle sammich for lunch today!
Just 2? I have nearly 100! (I need to go to the discount grocer, again!)

I like the idea of the peanut butter powder. For anyone who has tried it ... did you like it? Does it taste/mix up like store-bought-peanut butter in-the-jar?

Back