Pears

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A number of years ago I planted a dwarf pear tree. It has some fire blight that I keep clipping off. In spite of that and after bloom freezes and frosts, it always produces pears. It doesn't produce a lot, because it is a dwarf that keeps getting trimmed, but it produces a few dozen. This is the best year yet for it.

We have a recipe for pear pie that we use and make at least one pear pie from the pears each year.

http://ritasrecipesblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/angies-pear-pie.html

Angie's Pear Pie

Ingredients:

1 unbaked pie shell
3 or 4 pears, halved and cored
1 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons flour
a dash of salt

Place the pears flat side down, small end in into pie shell.

Sprinkle the pears with the lemon or lime juice.

Beat the eggs and sugar until thick and lemony. Add nutmeg, vanilla, flour and a dash of salt. Pour this over the pears.

Bake at 425 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350 and bake for 25 more minutes.

A number of years ago I planted a dwarf pear tree. It has some fire blight that I keep clipping off. In spite of that and after bloom freezes and frosts, it always produces pears. It doesn't produce a lot, because it is a dwarf that keeps getting trimmed, but it produces a few dozen. This is the best year yet for it.

We have a recipe for pear pie that we use and make at least one pear pie from the pears each year.

http://ritasrecipesblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/angies-pear-pie.html

Angie's Pear Pie

Ingredients:

1 unbaked pie shell
3 or 4 pears, halved and cored
1 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons flour
a dash of salt

Place the pears flat side down, small end in into pie shell.

Sprinkle the pears with the lemon or lime juice.

Beat the eggs and sugar until thick and lemony. Add nutmeg, vanilla, flour and a dash of salt. Pour this over the pears.

Bake at 425 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350 and bake for 25 more minutes.

Thanks fro recipe and if our pear tree ever produces a mature fruit I'll sure try it. I got 3 shrunken little pears off it this year. So much goign on I'm haven't tested soil yet. Maybe next year.

We have two trees a Deanju and a what used to be called Mule or Keffer (the spelling may not be exact but I do not have the time to fight with the autocorrect) and we are covered up plus we do not have the time to harvest and can! Anybody want free pears?

We have two trees a Deanju and a what used to be called Mule or Keffer (the spelling may not be exact but I do not have the time to fight with the autocorrect) and we are covered up plus we do not have the time to harvest and can! Anybody want free pears?
wish i lived closer, i would definetely take you up on the offer. i got some this year but i would like to get some more as i want to make some pickles.maybe i can fond some more before they are gone this year. our trees are just not produceing yet.

My pears got raided again this year, by some critter. I suspect coons, but haven't caught them.

I will be buying some pears to make that pie with. That sounds so good.
I usually am tuned into the fact that mine are ready to be picked when I start finding them on the ground with a part of them eaten. It is usually squirrels. I prefer tree ripened fruit, but pick them a little green to allow myself the opportunity to get them instead of the critters. This year is very different. None of my pears have been found on the ground around the tree. It is likely that someone in my neighborhood has take some action against the squirrels, perhaps poisoning them and the raccoons as well. In the past, others have taken action against the squirrels, but none with as much success as I am seeing this year.

I took a bunch of pears to my daughter and I know she is making pear pie. I asked her when she was making pear pie. She told me she is making two this weekend, both for social events with friends.

BTW, this recipe is from the mother of a former boyfriend of my daughters. When she had pear pie at their house, she asked for the recipe. Angie, the mother, cried, because in her family, they do not share recipes. They are family recipes. This is a concept that is lost on us. Why not let everyone know how to make great pear pie, or banana bread, or green chili or whatever great recipe you might have?

I remember the first time my mother gave me a pear to eat. I must have been 4 or 5 years old, or maybe younger. She had purchased a some lugs (noun, a box or crate used for transporting fruit) of fruit to can. Immediately, pears became my favorite fruit. I still remember that moment in time, as a young girl.

Does anyone have any pear recipes that you use? I have made pear crisp as well.

Pear butter in the slow cooker, pear cake, pear mince “meat”, dried, frozen, canned. Squirrels got my summer pears and are working on my winter pears. My summer pears are amazing so I’m pretty bummed that I didn’t get any this year.

I usually am tuned into the fact that mine are ready to be picked when I start finding them on the ground with a part of them eaten. It is usually squirrels. I prefer tree ripened fruit, but pick them a little green to allow myself the opportunity to get them instead of the critters. This year is very different. None of my pears have been found on the ground around the tree. It is likely that someone in my neighborhood has take some action against the squirrels, perhaps poisoning them and the raccoons as well. In the past, others have taken action against the squirrels, but none with as much success as I am seeing this year.

I took a bunch of pears to my daughter and I know she is making pear pie. I asked her when she was making pear pie. She told me she is making two this weekend, both for social events with friends.

BTW, this recipe is from the mother of a former boyfriend of my daughters. When she had pear pie at their house, she asked for the recipe. Angie, the mother, cried, because in her family, they do not share recipes. They are family recipes. This is a concept that is lost on us. Why not let everyone know how to make great pear pie, or banana bread, or green chili or whatever great recipe you might have?

I remember the first time my mother gave me a pear to eat. I must have been 4 or 5 years old, or maybe younger. She had purchased a some lugs (noun, a box or crate used for transporting fruit) of fruit to can. Immediately, pears became my favorite fruit. I still remember that moment in time, as a young girl.

In the years that I know I should have pears, I have yet to find a single core on the ground. It's almost like someone is picking them clean and leaving no evidence. That what makes me think coons. I know there are no people getting them cause no one knows we even have the couple trees.

SSonb. I would take you up on some if we were nearby. I hope to find a few dozen that we can buy and try to make a round of pear butter this year.

In the years that I know I should have pears, I have yet to find a single core on the ground. It's almost like someone is picking them clean and leaving no evidence. That what makes me think coons. I know there are no people getting them cause no one knows we even have the couple trees.

I had someone pick my peach tree almost clean of a couple hundred peaches. There are actually maps online that show where there are fruit trees growing so that people can go harvest fruit and maple sap. https://fallingfruit.org/

Pear butter in the slow cooker, pear cake, pear mince “meat”, dried, frozen, canned. Squirrels got my summer pears and are working on my winter pears. My summer pears are amazing so I’m pretty bummed that I didn’t get any this year.
When I had a plot in a community garden, the squirrels always went after strawberries. When one gardener arrived one day, he found a squirrel caught under netting he put over his strawberries to prevent squirrels from getting them. The squirrel gave him an earful.

I have done pear sauce, pear butter, and pear pie filling to can up.
before we had a pear tree of our own, hunny came home to tell me if a business in town that had one tree loaded. So I jumped in the truck with 5 gallon buckets and went to town. I did ask permission at the business first which I can not recall what they did there right now. The person who was inside explained that he just rented the building but I could help myself. I told him thank you and went out the door. Then I heard a click behind me as he locked the door. . . . Maybe by me wearing my hunny muck boots that were there sizes to big worried him.

I make it more like applesauce (pearsauce) and not like the brown(er) applebutter. Just peel and boil pears. Stick them in a blender with some of the boiling water and let it whirl. Or do it by hand with a masher. Add sugar and cinnamon or not. 1/2 inch headspace, water bath can. In our elevation it's 20 minutes.

I forgot about pear honey. It’s somewhat like preserves, but I like it better.

This is a photo I took of my daughter's pear pie, or what was left of it, made in a gluten free pie crust. This was my share, eaten over two days.

I believe she has a plan to make a couple more. The pear tree did well this year.

Pear pie photo.jpg

I'll gladly take that piece to sample. PLEASE!!!! :ghostly::ghostly:
Well, I ate it. By now it would have been moldy. I took this photo a few days ago.

I just ate one of the pears from that tree! Daughter has made two pear pies and since I took more pears to her, she is getting ready to make at least one more.

But since we share, the recipe is at the top. If pie crusts are hard for you, a pre-made one is easy and the filling is also easy. Gluten free pie crusts are harder, and my daughter has celiac, so gf is a must for her.

I've got to figure out what is getting my pears. I have 2 and one of them has had a lot pears on the last 2-3 years, but something has always gotten them. I have yet to east a single pear from it.
My pear tree has fire blight. I have to keep trimming of dead branches. I need to do more research to save it.

I've got to figure out what is getting my pears. I have 2 and one of them has had a lot pears on the last 2-3 years, but something has always gotten them. I have yet to east a single pear from it.
BP, the squirrels are cleaning you out I guarantee you! My trees were loaded and we thought it was coons. But, we got the coon and the rampage continued. We finally saw the squirrels. The just take one and nibble then toss it. If you see bits and pieces on the ground, get your shot gun out!! The will clean you out!!

Back