Pecans

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I’ve had the best pecan harvest in years, over 100lbs. We gave most of them away. Anyone who wanted to come and pick them up were welcome, about 60lbs. I took about 50lbs to be cracked 2 weeks ago. There will be plenty of pecan pie for Christmas. I love pecan pie! :USA:

My grandfather began setting out pecan trees here in the 1940’s. All but 2 of the old trees are gone but there are another 10 or so that have matured and produce. We never tried to grow pecans commercially but maybe others have and wish to post.

I recently saw a guy on a cooking show who doesn’t live to far from me. He grows pecans commercially. I'd
Pecans 04dec.jpg
really like to drive down there next month and check out his farm.

I love pecans. They are grown commercially here and we thought about starting a few but decided to wait until we move. I don't know if they will grow at the new place but we're going to try. Hey Amish, do pecans grow up where you are? If they grow up there then they may grow at our new place.

we have 5 trees on our place . we have been putting lime and pecan fertilizer to them for 4 years. this is the first time they have produced. i don't know when they were planted , but they were badly neglected when we got the place. now we will put woodash under them.

My wife just paid $9.99 for 1 lb of shelled pecans.
How long does it take for a Pecan tree to mature and produce nuts?

Jim

I didn’t know the answer to that. Our trees aren’t seedlings or grafted. They come up randomly (usually in an inconvenient location). The tree sellers on the net say 4+ years for grafted trees and 10+ for seedlings.

That seems low in my experience. Granted, our trees are not “cultivated” in any sense of the word but produce naturally. It takes about 15 to 18 years for these trees to produce in any measurable way. It might be different if they were tended. :)

I've planted three trees that are supposed to start producing in 3-4 years from now. Between them and the hazel nuts I figure it will provide a unique material to sell or trade should the economy go bad or SHTF. I can't wait to start experimenting with roasting, smoking and cooking with them. :)

We have over 20 mature pecan trees the largest is over 4 ft at the base. There seems to be at least 3 different types paper shells which are large, Spanish which are small and very tasty and some regular type that are almost as large as the paper shell. Family and neighbors have an open invitation to harvest as much as they want. My reward is several different types of pecan pie. Side note I have some of the best feed squirrels in Arkansas.

I'm in Ohio and within the acceptable zone for the pecan trees I planted. One has been growing 2 years no and the other two were planted last spring. Stark Bro's say's they should be 4-6 years for first harvest, so I am hoping by 2020 I'll have some of my first pecans. If they do well I might trap some grey squirrels to release out back as they are better eating than the native fox squirrels which are tough and scrawny.

I'm in Ohio and within the acceptable zone for the pecan trees I planted. One has been growing 2 years no and the other two were planted last spring. Stark Bro's say's they should be 4-6 years for first harvest, so I am hoping by 2020 I'll have some of my first pecans. If they do well I might trap some grey squirrels to release out back as they are better eating than the native fox squirrels which are tough and scrawny.
Are your trees full sized or dwarfs? Dwarf varieties tend to produce sooner.

I’ve had the best pecan harvest in years, over 100lbs. We gave most of them away. Anyone who wanted to come and pick them up were welcome, about 60lbs. I took about 50lbs to be cracked 2 weeks ago. There will be plenty of pecan pie for Christmas. I love pecan pie! :USA:

My grandfather began setting out pecan trees here in the 1940’s. All but 2 of the old trees are gone but there are another 10 or so that have matured and produce. We never tried to grow pecans commercially but maybe others have and wish to post.

I recently saw a guy on a cooking show who doesn’t live to far from me. He grows pecans commercially. I'dView attachment 920 really like to drive down there next month and check out his farm.

You took 50 lbs to be cracked?
I never heard of being able to have them cracked.
I guess it depends on where you live.
My Grandma gave me her secret family recipe for pecan pie.
It was on the back of the Karo syrup bottle.:)

Terri...yep they grow up here. You may have to cover if the winter is harsh, but I don't know anyone who does. We lived in Cruces in 1989 for about 6 years (North Valley area) and had pecans and apples all around us. Still have pecans and apples all around us. We are kind of in a valley near the Rio Grande. People grow peaches here, which amazes me. Cherries do well here, too; if you can get them before the birds do. Our pomegranate bushes have done very well here, too.

We just moved to our place in GA and we have some nuts that look like pecans, only small. I can hardly wait for it to leaf out so we can ID it better. We also have hickory nuts. They can be good, or bitter, depending on the tree, so we will taste test in the fall. Nuts are a valuable thing and we were excited to find we had bearing nut trees.

@timmie fabulous news that you sold enough pecans on your property to pay the property taxes and that you have 2 wonderful new trees as well. What do they usually cost over there ?, here our fruit trees are around $20 - $30 each to buy depending on where you look.

We didn't have a good year for our trees. We 6 or 8 trees on our place that we can harvest around, but we don't do anything special for the trees except mow around them. They are very old as they were put out by the former owners probably in the '40s. There are several that we can't get to on the creek.

In Okla/Texas they are pronounced "pa-con(s). " When we have a good year, we have them cracked and blown which gets rid of most of the shells. A good year will last me 2 or 3 years. I store them in the freezer.

Terri...yep they grow up here. You may have to cover if the winter is harsh, but I don't know anyone who does. We lived in Cruces in 1989 for about 6 years (North Valley area) and had pecans and apples all around us. Still have pecans and apples all around us. We are kind of in a valley near the Rio Grande. People grow peaches here, which amazes me. Cherries do well here, too; if you can get them before the birds do. Our pomegranate bushes have done very well here, too.
I have seen pecan orchards while driving down I-25 through New Mexico south of Albq and west of Las Cruces a ways. They must do well to have those nice orchards.

Wonderful!!:woo hoo:. The heat over fathers day weekend killed our peach tree. No peaches to give away but that's ok cause I can plant pecans at the new place. We may try some apples too.:)

Latest posts

Back