peeling spud

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
here's peeling spud I made from barn junk last summer. it works great

74bwIyQl.jpg

daUaDvdl.jpg

a little forged handle for a mason jar

sRmXgdzl.jpg

a twisted spring made from a couch spring
DZyZLUCl.jpg

Looks interesting. I would like to see more images of those in action.

Confession time

I misread the title and thought you were going to talk about peeling spuds.

That misread promoted me to recall a note that was shared in a thread I was doing about making my own vodka.

In that thread in a form far far away I was faced with the task of peeling a lot of potatoes I given a suggestion of loading all my spuds into a 5-gallon bucket, top off with water and using a paint mixer in a power drill. Run it for just a few seconds and the entire batch is done!

I never got a chance to try it but the next time I try to make vodka...

Ben

Last edited:
Cool work!

On the discussion of the name of the device, I always called them a draw knife, but I have heard a lot of name to include bark spud, bark peeler, shave knife and peeling spuds, among others.

I certainly became acquainted with them on various build projects around the old homestead. Extremely useful device that helped tame the west!

Cool work!

On the discussion of the name of the device, I always called them a draw knife, but I have heard a lot of name to include bark spud, bark peeler, shave knife and peeling spuds, among others.

I certainly became acquainted with them on various build projects around the old homestead. Extremely useful device that helped tame the west!
Seems we can add spoke shave to that collection of tools.

I think that the orientation of the handles relative to the cutting motion distinguishes from draw knives.

Q
Is the edge sharp?

Ben

a drawknife and spud are two different things. A drawknife has two handles and is used for cutting the bark off. It is great for carving things like handles, bows etc. as well. A spud is used for slipping the bark off.
That is exactly what I was thinking. I had not heard of a Peeling Spud (other than like Ben in KP.) Funny how many names there are for certain things. There is also a froe though I think slightly different typical use.
Also, love the mason jar handle! Will have to show Hubby as a hint (the real hint will be when I say, You need to make one - Hint hint!) 😂

That is exactly what I was thinking. I had not heard of a Peeling Spud (other than like Ben in KP.) Funny how many names there are for certain things. There is also a froe though I think slightly different typical use.
Also, love the mason jar handle! Will have to show Hubby as a hint (the real hint will be when I say, You need to make one - Hint hint!) 😂
I learned about a Froe from the Woodwright's Workshop where he (also) made it from an old leaf spring. He used it for making cedar shingles along with a wooden mallet.

Ben

another farm junk project.
a stool from a tractor seat, a chunk of 1 inch pipe and a base.

h3JXmtUl.jpg
I love those old seats. There is at least one company that sells those, all painted up on fancy bases, but those don't have the kind of character yours does.

I just saw another cool use for an old steel tractor seat - my ex father in law found an old seat on his acreage. Cleaned it up, put two chains on it, and hung it from a tree branch for a swing...

Back