Pellet stove recommends

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using a pellet stove for twenty years . I've had two different makes . Englander was the first one and now I have a Comfortbuilt .
Both medium priced (both under $1800. delivered ) I know several people that have spent between $3000 to $4000. and they don't burn any better , your paying for ornate fancy stuff . I buy functional. At first my wife hated it until she got use to that nice steady heat now she can't live without it. I'm in the northeast and it gets cold here . Has 6 settings and I never have it above number 2, keeps the 1350 square ft, house 75 F .
1672105657921.png

Last edited:
I have always been curious about why a pellet stove and not a wood burning stove? What happens if you can't find any pellets to buy? Can you burn wood in it?
you can't t burn wood. if your thinking of buying a pellet stove just make sure there are several places to buy them . I buy 4 ton at a time

We have had a pellet stove for over 20 years.
The first one was an insert in a zero clearance fireplace and it was a huge improvement.
We changed that one out for a natural gas insert and it was so much more convenient.
Where we live now natural gas is not an option.
I prefer pellet over wood because I don't have a source to get wood other than to buy it and the firewood prices are high.
Last year I bought 2 tons of pellets and heated the house all winter for less than $600 for pellets and another $200 for propane which we use very little.

Pros of pellets.

Readably available.
Easy to handle.
The heat can be controlled.
They can be connected to a thermostat.
Easy to start and you get heat within a few minutes.
You don't have to stoke the fire multiple time a day.
It will run all night.
Mine is vented through the side of the house so I didn't have to penetrate the roof.
Less emissions than firewood.

Cons.
They must be stored in a dry area, preferable inside. Not a problem for me.
You have to clean the inside more often but it's fast and easy to do.
You have to be able to pick up and carry a 40 pound bag.
The biggest disadvantage is you must have power for it to operate.

If I had it to do all over again I would still have a pellet stove.
Buy from an established manufacturer that has been around for a while.

Our cabin is 4,000 square feet and i currently have four wood burning stoves. A small one in each bedroom and a large one in the great room and conservatory. We have propane wall units in the great room and conservatory for backup.
I am looking into the pellet stoves to run at night when otherwise the propane kicks on. If I buy over 500 gallons of propane the cost was $2.50 otherwise the price goes up. I like to keep my tank topped off, so the price is more.
I do not have a woodlot, so I have to buy the wood locally and it varies on quality and price. I have a gauge that I use to determine the amount of dryness and if several pieces are more then 20%, I won't buy. When I tell the seller that I check for seasoning they either refuse to deliver or want to charge a handsome delivery fee for just showing up. I am currently burning wood from last season when I learned my lesson on getting a gauge. With the economy as it is just about everyone is selling "seasoned" wood.
We are buying bio bricks from Menards in half skid lots and the price is comparable to "seasoned" firewood. Pellets are cheaper for same weight, and we can save some money there.
I am not too concerned about losing power as I have a dual fuel generator.

Our house came with a pellet stove - I've always kept a bunch of pellets on hand for a short term emergency (wood stoves are nearly impossible to get permitted in our area). Came in really handy a couple years back when our furnace died in the middle of winter and it took a month for me to diagnose it and get the needed parts in to repair. Kept our 3,100 sqft house chilly but comfortable using about 1.5 bags every 24 hours. Ours has a 12v battery backup inverter that's supposed to run 48-72 hours on a pair of standard car batteries. If you rely on one, I'd keep a bottle of gel starter fluid on hand for when the igniter eventually dies.

I'd replace the pellet stove with a woodburner in a heartbeat if free wood was readily available around here, and if they didn't actively look for them in the winter. Pellet stove needs pellets (can't burn the furniture in an emergency) and electricity. That being said, bags of pellets can be hauled in the back seat of a sedan, have never brought bugs into the house, and are easy to store in little nooks and crannies of the house where wood wouldn't be practical...

Smokie's Stoves in Grants Pass, Oregon sells none electric pellet stoves, I'd certainly consider one of their stoves if we didn't already have a very good wood stove and readily available sources of firewood close to our home, some even on our property.

Englander from H D. Me 2 neighbors son m me again. Bought a new one. Love them. Ak gets cold n we can get plenty of pellets. Stores always have then now
Parts are another story. Lots of the Englander around. Can find used. I bought one for parts complete running 400 bucks. They have excellent service and a way to troubleshoot everything. Easily. Very nice but all I've been around. Nice glass window to watch the fire. Half the cost of fuel at least.
We are now putting a fuel oil drip stove in. No power needed. No moving parts. Simple. Buy a new spare carriage on e and be set for fitty years, watch the fire. I kinda like watching fires and nothing better than having a comfortable rocking lay z boy, or rocking chair. And a child in need. Babies to put to sleep that don't feel good, hurt. Surgeries n such. Love them babies, n a really nice rocking chair in front of a warm calming flames of a fire. Best kid pacifier ever n been used extensively forever. Oops I like the stoves with a window in them

Reactions: Neb

Latest posts

Back