Pennies in the world, values are well over $100,000 and approaching $2 million.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Meer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
A penny is only worth a cent, but not one found in Massachusetts in 1947.

https://www.wptv.com/news/local-new...-for-auction-could-sell-for-1-million-or-more
A penny is only worth a cent, but not one found in Massachusetts in 1947.

Fewer than 20 of the rare 1943 Lincoln pennies were ever made-- and that was due to an error.

In 1943, during World War II, pennies were supposed to be made of steel because copper was needed for other uses. But a handful of the coins were mistakenly pressed with copper and Don Lutes Jr. discovered one of them in his change from his Massachusetts high school lunch in the forties.

He kept it in his collection since then, but passed away in September.

The penny is now up for auction and as of Wednesday morning the current bid was $120,000. The auction for the rare coin is slated to end on Thursday.

A similar penny sold for $1.7 million in 2010.

Only a handful of these bronze pennies have been discovered, including the one found by Lutes. “The most valuable Lincoln cent sold privately in 2010 for $1.7 million,” said Stone.

1620240708852.png

:dunno: Just thinking, you never know. I have some old ones, how about you?😊

For years all silver coins I found I placed in my Owl bank on my nightstand. Until one day I noticed my Owl was gone. Wife said she was tired of seeing it and sold it at a garage sale. The silver coins? She got rid of them when she bought groceries. "How was she suppose to know they were worth more?" she asked.

For years all silver coins I found I placed in my Owl bank on my nightstand. Until one day I noticed my Owl was gone. Wife said she was tired of seeing it and sold it at a garage sale. The silver coins? She got rid of them when she bought groceries. "How was she suppose to know they were worth more?" she asked.
Aaaaand now you know why it is illegal to beat your wife. :(

Several years ago, Mrs. Sparky worked in a candy store at a local mall.
One day a bunch of kids came in and bought $10 worth of candy and paid for it all with dimes.
She figured they raided a parents change jar but noticed something different about them. They weren't as shiny as other dimes in the till.

She exchanged those dimes with cash from her wallet and brought them home.
Sure enough, they were all Silver Dimes.

Still have them in my safe.

I've been collecting coins since I was 12 or so and found both 1955 and 1972 double die cents. They were sold years ago. I few weeks ago, I found a silver quarter in my change. It's probably Lazy L's....

There are a few extremely rare U.S. coins and a true copper '43 cent is one of them. I've been blessed to actually hold an 1804 dollar, but apart from viewing rarities at the Smithsonian, that's as exciting as it ever got. :)

I have a 1943D steel penny, worth about a dime. Just my luck, I find the one worth pennies.

View attachment 65710
Yeah, I'm tripping over those. I have one copper-clad steel penny in my collection. Predictably, it's worth nothing.

Really some very interesting storeys to me. We all probably all had coins that would have made us rich, but being poor spent them in need of something else. This link on rare coins is always coming up and it surprises me on how valuable some coins are. I have to go through mine, just in case one is rare enough to be worth something. You just never know unless you check. :dunno: 👍

When I was little my GrandMother, on my Mothers side, use to give us silver dollars and we couldn't wait to spend them at store on candy. Bet they would been valuable now. :)

Last edited:
These are the 20 most valuable pennies, and they're worth a combined $5.5 million.

https://www.workandmoney.com/s/most-valuable-pennies-bbc306580a144162
People have been collecting coins since ancient Rome. Some do it for fun. Others do it with the intent to sell these coins for a profit. Even the penny.

Like most coins, the United States penny has seen multiple designs and compositions over the years, and some pennies, especially when carefully stored, are worth far more than the face value of one cent.

Collectibles come and go. But coins hold their value remarkably well. Some pennies, originally worth a single cent, are now worth thousands of dollars.

The most exciting thing is you can find some of these rare, valuable pennies easily because they're still in circulation. While a circulating coin typically lasts 30 to 40 years, some lucky collectors have found pennies minted in the mid-1900s in their pocket change. Of course, they're worth more if they're in better condition, and all circulating coins tend to have a lot of wear and tear.

These are the most valuable pennies in circulation. And they are worth a pretty penny if you find them.

15. 1995 Lincoln Memorial Cent (Doubled Die)
1 of 31
NEXT
8d5340252bea41d29452350b1dd73c69.jpeg

Value: $54

Last edited:
12. 1984 Lincoln Memorial Cent (Doubled Die Ear)
7 of 31
NEXT
0bb297759682465193c23437b57903d6.jpeg

Value: $252

Another double-died error can be found on the 1984 Lincoln Memorial Cent. A close examination of Lincoln's ear shows a definitive double stamp.

Isn't it funny how having an extra ear can make a penny valuable?

1620335905950.png

11. 1983 Lincoln Memorial Cent (Doubled Die Reverse)
9 of 31
NEXT
54570ca748914e9d954e3eda64689dd5.jpeg

Value: $429

While the front of the 1983 Lincoln Memorial Cent looks perfectly ordinary, the back might have a particularly lucrative error. The full backside of the coin is doubled.

If you find a 1983 penny with everything doubled, the Lincoln Memorial Building included, save it for a rainy day.

1620336180792.png

10. 1998 S Lincoln Memorial Cent (Close AM)
11 of 31
NEXT
68801b0185844afab0cb70d20dd5d15e.jpeg

Value: $520

7. 1999 Lincoln Memorial Cent (Close AM) (Tie)
15 of 31
NEXT
fd426148138b4137b1f9ea91c2ccef88.jpeg

Value: $545

7. 1960 D Lincoln Memorial Cent (D Over D - Small Date Over Large Date) (Tie)
17 of 31
NEXT
9f91fd73cbd8442b9b2f10f0008a9260.jpeg

Value: $545

4. 1971 Lincoln Memorial Cent (Doubled Die Obverse)
23 of 31
NEXT
0023bce15d7a4fd3a1abbc77d7d65ab7.jpeg

Value: $1,107

I distinctly remember us kids making fun of nickels where the buffalo only had 3 legs instead of 4.
"How lame!!!" :LOL:
25675003_46957937_2200.jpg

Today, they are worth between $50,000 and $80,000
brickwall100.gif

My mom was a nut about collecting coins. She would study every single coin that passed through her hands. I have the collection somewhere, but I wouldn’t know a gem from a turd when it comes to coins.

My mom was a nut about collecting coins. She would study every single coin that passed through her hands. I have the collection somewhere, but I wouldn’t know a gem from a turd when it comes to coins.
Here are some suggestions. First, never clean any coin; you will destroy its value. Second, don't let the coins clank around in a box. They should be in individual cardboard or plastic mounts. Third, if you know nothing about coins, you will want to find a reputable coin dealer and pay for an appraisal. You could even gently lay them out on the scanner plate, scan them at reasonably high resolution and post the image here. A few folks here know a thing or two about coins and valuable coins will stand out. That would at least give you a clue whether or not you have something of value.

Yeah, I'm tripping over those. I have one copper-clad steel penny in my collection. Predictably, it's worth nothing.
Wrong. Go to the hardware store and price a quarter inch washer. Now you know what a zinc lincoln is worth. They make great washers. Size the hole to suit. If you need a stainless one, use a nickel.

Latest posts

Back