Pepper Sauce Recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going back to that chow chow, I LUV that stuff, during my 'trucking daze' I used to buy multiple jars of it on the road and bring it back home for family & friends. My best friend whose family ran the surf shop for several decades once told me that his pop (Mr. D, as I always called him out of respect) wanted to thank me for bringing some hot & spicy chow chow to their home. He loved that stuff as much as I did, lol. :)

In some places like Georgia & the Carolinas, you could buy jars of chow chow at roadside stands where they also sold fresh fruit, preserves, etc., and ALL of it downright delicious! One time, I bought a wooden basket of Carolina peaches for a lousy $3, and those things lasted for a week in my truck... they were so fresh & juicy that I'd have to eat 'em outside, or on the running boards (side deck) of the road tractor, otherwise they'd make a juicy mess in my truck, lol. ;)

Boy, my friends & family used to really like what I brought home, and they never really knew what to expect each time around, which of course was half the fun. One small Love's truck stop in Benson, AZ (where I later bought a home, go figure), sold jars of honey that were SO GOOD... 'Desert Wildflower' honey and 'Catclaw' honey and several other exotic flavors, me beloved mum really liked the 'Desert Wildflower' honey on English muffins & whatnot. Good stuff, yeah? :cool:

P.S. Georgia peaches get all the credit, but there's nothing wrong with tasty Carolina peaches either, lol... :rolleyes:

It's been 10 days so I gave my pepper sauce a try. It's perfect! Very nice heat. It'll definitely wake up a plate of greens. It's going to get a little hotter over the next couple of weeks but not much. It's easy to water down if necessary but I don't think it'll need it.

I know which recipe makes good sauce now! My sauce in 2020 was not good. In fact, it tasted like crap. The recipe I used called for ACV. Apple cider vinegar doesn't belong in pepper sauce. Of that much I'm sure. Plain white vinegar is the way to go.

12 bottles of pepper sauce made plus a quart jar. I already gave 3 bottles away, the biggest one is mine. I ran out of little bottles so I made one batch in the q. jar.

Pepper Sauce 200a.JPG

Back