Pepper Sauce Recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
It's a southern thing... I searched to see if there was another thread on this. There was one titled Pepper Sauce but after reading it I saw that person was making Hot Sauce. Hot Sauce and Pepper Sauce are 2 entirely different things, just ask a southerner.

I made some pepper sauce today, a simple recipe I got from a friend. I like it on the hot side but my friend makes his with Ghost Peppers. Jeez... all you have to do is wave the bottle over your turnip greens. That stuff is waaay to hot for me.

From the garden I used the last of the cayennes, one small serrano pepper sliced in half, two small jalapenos, also sliced in half. I added a tbsp of peppercorns and 3 small crushed pieces of garlic. I used 2/3rd apple cider vinegar and 1/3 white wine vinegar.

It's definitely hot. if I need to cool it off I'll change the vinegar a couple of times.

Any other southerners want to share their pepper sauce recipe?

Pepper Sauce (2) sm.JPG
Pepper Sauce (3) sm.JPG

Last edited:
I have a pot with a large cayenne pepper plant in it with some peppers. I am thinking I am going to make some pepper sauce with them, but have never made any before.

I know that hot sauce is a Southern thing, but hot sauce has grown in popularity everywhere.

I brought my vinegar to a simmer... almost a boil, then added it to my bottle that already had my peppers etc in it. I don't add salt but usually salt my greens.

I have seen folks add a splash of olive oil to the bottle at the end.

@Bacpacker I thought I'd add this for clarification... "Hot sauce" is made with fermented hot peppers, while "Pepper sauce" (or "pepper vinegar") is vinegar that's bottled.

Pepper sauce - It’s as simple as heating enough vinegar to fill your glass bottle (an old rum bottle is traditional), stuffing that bottle with peppers and filling with white wine vinegar. Garlic is frequently added, as are black peppercorn.

Pepper sauce recipes vary. By changing which peppers are used, adding garlic, peppercorns and salt, which vinegar(s) are used.

Instead of white vinegar I used a combination of white wine vinegar and apple cider vinegar. I added both pepper corns, garlic and a splash of olive oil. I didn't add salt. I used serrano, jalapeno and cayenne peppers.

I don't know anything about making "Hot Sauce" so that could be another thread.

Pic 1 Texas Pete hot sauce
Pic 2 Texas Pete pepper sauce
Pic 3 a home made pepper sauce that has garlic added.

Edit to add: When I was in the navy I tried to explain to my northern friends that hot sauce and pepper sauce were different things. It's almost impossible to do without pictures or a taste test. Outside the south the terms "pepper sauce" and "hot sauce" are used interchangeably. In recent years, with all the transplants to the south, I often hear the terms being used interchangeably. Sometimes I try to correct folks but its a losing battle.

TP Hot.jpg
TP Pepper.jpg
z souther-pepper-sauce.jpg

Last edited:
I've told people who asked... I put hot sauce on my nachos but I would not put pepper sauce on nachos.

Oil and vinegar is a common dressing one salads, ie, greens. Think of pepper sauce the same way, for salads or greens but with a lot less oil than vinegar and a boat load of spicy peppers.

I've seen lots of salad bars with banana peppers and jalapenos.... peppers and vinegar added to a salad.

I have a lot of fresh tabasco peppers right now. Thought seriously about making my own tabasco hot sauce. But… not overly found of hot sauce. And I didn’t want to go through the fermentation process.

So, I made a traditional southern pepper sauce with Tabasco, Serrano and Thai peppers.

The last batch I made I used ACV instead of distilled white vinegar. Didn't really like it, doesn’t taste quite right to me.

So, I went with distilled white vinegar and tossed in a couple crushed garlic cloves. Didn’t use pepper corns like last time either.

This bottle will last me into next summer so I’m set for pepper sauce.

Pepper Sauce oct22a.JPG

Last edited:
Pepper sauce Magus style"
1 cup of red chillis
1/4 cup of jalapenos
1/4 cup of red onion
1 hunk of garlic
Chunk, not liquefy in a blender and sprinkle lightly in sea salt, mix well and let ferment a week in a dark, sealed container in your fridge.
add brown vinegar and stir. spoon into mason jars. get ready to sing "You light up my life" when you drizzle it over your pinto beans!

I do not like heat, even if it has great health benefits.
I do like a mild vegetable medley in vinegar.
I use garlic, onions,sweet peppers,a few salad tomatoes, small cukes & okra pods.
I like it over greens, raw vegetables.
I have a friend that use up all the vegetables medley & then ads boil eggs for a month or so
his family love them. The eggs can keep for years.

I have a friend who puts carrots and green bell peppers, sometimes whole green cherry tomatoes in hers, its not overly hot, but it has a unique flavor on things, even steak.

I like Clint's Salsa and that's a Texas product. The mild seems hot to me!
Right, pepper sauce is not salsa. Got it.
And salsa is not hot sauce.
Actually, in our family, we always called pepper vinegar what Peanut calls pepper sauce.

I'm a hot sauce connoisseur, and will have a dozen or more different bottles open and in use at any time. My wife gave me my own shelf on the refrigerator door for it. And it's overfull with bottles laying on top of the ones standing up.
American made brands are all too weak, but some have great flavor - Texas Pete Extra Hot, Crystal w/Garlic are two.
I prefer sauces from Mexico, Columbia, Trinidad, and others.
And of course, the X-Treme brand from North Carolina made with the world's hottest pepper, the Carolina Reaper.

One of our customers makes his own, from his own plants, and he gave me a bottle about a year ago, a large size bottle. I'm still working on it. It is made with Reapers, Ghost, and some Habanero to tone it down a bit. It would double as a great paint remover too!!

I believe there are serious health benefits associated with consuming hot peppers in any form, they burn bacteria & viruses out of one's blood. There's probably a little 'collateral damage' to certain body cells, but the benefits outweigh that damage. I've been eating hot peppers in many forms for decades now, and I hardly ever get sick. I love hot Jalapeno and Serrano peppers in my burrito mixes, they add wonderful flavor and texture without being TOO hot. I add diced or minced Habaneros to pots of food while cooking.The really hot peppers like Ghost Peppers, Carolina Reapers, etc., are great for spicing up salsa: put 'em in a blender with a little water, let the blender rip, then add the mixture to your favorite salsa for a hot & spicy treat! I'm not one of those fools who macks super-hot peppers out of bravado, I employ peppers in different ways to spice up my cooking and add zest & flavor to salsa. For me, things are just right when my scalp is damp with sweat, lol... I can FEEL the hot peppers and their juices burning viruses out of my bloodstream. :dancing:

Pepper sauce Magus style"
1 cup of red chillis
1/4 cup of jalapenos
1/4 cup of red onion
1 hunk of garlic
Chunk, not liquefy in a blender and sprinkle lightly in sea salt, mix well and let ferment a week in a dark, sealed container in your fridge.
add brown vinegar and stir. spoon into mason jars. get ready to sing "You light up my life" when you drizzle it over your pinto beans!

I think you're trying to make chow chow. That's not pepper sauce. It is closer to being Hot Sauce. Hot Sauce is fermented, pepper sauce isn't.

I have a friend who puts carrots and green bell peppers, sometimes whole green cherry tomatoes in hers, its not overly hot, but it has a unique flavor on things, even steak.

Your friend is definitely making chow chow. Your recipe plus bell peppers, green tomatoes, carrots = Chow Chow.

I like chow chow, got a jar in the fridge right now. And I like pepper sauce but not both at the same time.

Last edited:
Its like a cup of stuff floating in a gallon of vinegar. LOL
But yeah, it does look like the start of a spicy chow chow mix now you mention it. just needs cabbage and sugar.

I believe there are serious health benefits associated with consuming hot peppers in any form, they burn bacteria & viruses out of one's blood. There's probably a little 'collateral damage' to certain body cells, but the benefits outweigh that damage. I've been eating hot peppers in many forms for decades now, and I hardly ever get sick. I love hot Jalapeno and Serrano peppers in my burrito mixes, they add wonderful flavor and texture without being TOO hot. I add diced or minced Habaneros to pots of food while cooking.The really hot peppers like Ghost Peppers, Carolina Reapers, etc., are great for spicing up salsa: put 'em in a blender with a little water, let the blender rip, then add the mixture to your favorite salsa for a hot & spicy treat! I'm not one of those fools who macks super-hot peppers out of bravado, I employ peppers in different ways to spice up my cooking and add zest & flavor to salsa. For me, things are just right when my scalp is damp with sweat, lol... I can FEEL the hot peppers and their juices burning viruses out of my bloodstream. :dancing:
They cause weight lost also.

Last edited:
Capsaicin, the chemical that makes peppers "hot" is actually recognized as medically beneficial.
www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-capsaicin#1

I began using hot sauce in the Army. Every mess hall table had a bottle. If you have ever eaten Army chow in the 1960's you would understand why.
In Vietnam, Tabasco was so revered by the troops that the company sent millions of tiny bottles of the stuff, free, that soldiers could carry in the top pockets of their jungle fatigues. For that reason alone, I still buy it to show my support for the family-owned company.

I just plain like hot sauce. Each one, each brand, has its own flavor, its own ambiance, its own bouquet.
Of course, you have to become accustomed to capsaicin.

I guess it's like Scotch. I've been told that is an acquired taste. One that I never acquired.

Latest posts

Back