Pet names

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was just thinking about some pets I've had over the years,
Only got a couple outside mousers now.

I have had some good dogs in my time,

My favorite name was "Knothead" he was a cool Cur dog.
I had Aussie named Booger.. smart ...too smart.
Had a wolf/Malemute hybrib named JoJo... a don't mess with me guy
Had a Border Collie named Boomer.. Hyper was his first name..
Had a German Shepherd name Payton ....named after Walter ...big heart.
Then I had 2 Walker Coon Dogs ...named Waylon and Wille...dumb as rocks...about half mean too.

I won't tell ya about all my horses, except my big black TN Walker stud named Elvis.
What a show off he was.

Jim

Gene-the desert tortoise
Hungry-the feral cat that adopted us.
Widow-she was pregnant when we adopted her. We're positive she was a widow because she wasn't "that kind" of girl.

We have a 'Tucker'. I brought him home from a farm at 6 weeks old. Hubby & son were at a soccer game. Daughter was away at college, so I was on my own that day, when I picked him up. He & his litter mates were 'sleeping with the cows', I was told by the farmer. He was the last one left, when I got there. Since I was by myself, I held him in my lap as I drove home.

I bathed him as soon as I got home. When hubby & son returned, I ran out to get him food & collar. While out I get a frantic call from DS that has he was holding pup in his arms, he saw that he was flea infested! (I didn't notice, when I bathed him because he has pure black fur!) I looked for a shampoo to safely use on puppy at this age.

Returned home & gave puppy bath #2.

Re-read the directions and puppy was the right age, but too small for the flea-shampoo! Called vet. Concerned for neurological reactions to the shampoo, at his tender size, they recommended ANOTHER bath.

Bath # 3 ... and he's been home barely 2 hours!

Daughter calls from school, as puppy is sound-asleep in son's arms, all wrapped up in a towel. She asks for his name. I tell her I have NO idea yet, but the darn puppy is all tuckered-out after all his baths. And it hit me ... 'Tucker'.

The neurotic king of our yard is Chookie, a blue heeler. Looks like Gumpy's new dog. Supposedly the name means Little Darling , and since that's our last name, it stuck. Next is Milo, a heeler mix, and our daughter named him that. Third on the ladder is Rigel, which is a star in the constellation of Orion. He is a red heeler mix, and husband picked that name. George and Raisin are very old cats the kids named. The only animal I named is our African Grey Parrot. His name is Bibi. You can guess who he is named after.

Our Rotties are all German ladies so they all have German lady names.

Wilma (now deceased, name meant feminine protector)
Rosa (means noted protector)
Mina (short for Wilhelmina, means resolute protector)
Velma (means determined protector)

My short list would start with:
Leon Redbone, our redbone hound. Smart dog, tell him no once and that was it. Except where snakes were concerned, he'd stick that nose to the ground and nothing else existed until he'd get snake bit. It got to where it was more normal than not.

Next would be Keepher, she was my heart. Found her and her litter mates before they all had their eyes open. Once Leon decided she was old enough to go with him he never got snake bit again. She was a good reader of people too. If you were OK she was fine, if she sensed something wasn't right she stood in front of me and growled.

Then we found Alf, Fuzzie and Freddie. Three puppy brothers in rough physical condition. They were only temp keeps, I was looking for new homes for them. After nearly 14 years that didn't happen. And we lost Alf suddenly three years ago to cancer.

Multiple horses but the one that had my heart was Max, my Warmblood/Tbred cross. He was a gentle giant. Had him for years before I met my hubs.

Right now there are two rescue cats, Jake and Sissy but many came before them. Katie was my Persian who waited at the door everyday for me to get home from work.

Our Rotties are all German ladies so they all have German lady names.

Wilma (now deceased, name meant feminine protector)
Rosa (means noted protector)
Mina (short for Wilhelmina, means resolute protector)
Velma (means determined protector)

I sense a theme.

We currently have 2 dogs.
Tiny and Fat Boy.
They are chiweenies.
1/2 miniature wiener and 1/2 Chihuahua.
They have the same mother different Chihuahua fathers.
Fat boy was twice as big as the others in the litter and one of the kids said look at that fat boy.
Tiny was just tiny when she was born.
If I ever get a big dog it will be called Rodan.
My Uncle had one that almost are me alive twice in one night.
Couldn't hold that against him he was just doing his job and doing it well.

he saw that he was flea infested! (
Original Dawn dish soap is a non-toxic pesticide that gets rid of the fleas now,but not tomorrow.It works on cats,poultry or any animal.It would be safe for a young pup.A lot of flea shampoos contain harmful chemicals and it causes seizures and death.I've never heard of any side effects from the Dawn and it's the only thing I use for my dog,fleas or no fleas,even bathed my lice infested chickens in it years ago.I mix some in water and spray my plants,it kills those bugs,too and the plants like a little soap water.

When K and I got married we thought it would be funny to name all our pets after Irish liquors and beers.

Killian Red (pembroke corgi)
Guinness Stout (cardigan corgi)
Delaney (rosey pitbull)
Baileys (black oriental cat)
Mr. Murphy (maine coon)
OMara (longhair tortie)
Jamison (tabby cat)
Smithwick (fancy rat)

Original Dawn dish soap is a non-toxic pesticide that gets rid of the fleas now,but not tomorrow.It works on cats,poultry or any animal.It would be safe for a young pup.A lot of flea shampoos contain harmful chemicals and it causes seizures and death.I've never heard of any side effects from the Dawn and it's the only thing I use for my dog,fleas or no fleas,even bathed my lice infested chickens in it years ago.I mix some in water and spray my plants,it kills those bugs,too and the plants like a little soap water.

I recommend everyone here with pets to invest in a gallon jug of Natural Chemistry De-Flea concentrate shampoo.

I contacted the company YEARS ago about recommending they make a carpet shampoo formula and the owner told me he uses a tablespoon of the concentrate in his home shampooer. He sent me a gallon jug and I have used it for years with no issues to kittens or bunnies etc. I still have over 2/3 left and haven't had issues with fleas since 2013.

Grimm, I see you haven't picked up Bushmills yet? LOL

Our current Golden retriever is Rosie, actually wife gave her the AKC name Rosa Rugosa after a flower she had ran across. Good dog, but has a scared streak in her that I just can't figure out. She is 9. We had one before her that was 16 when we had to put her down. That was one sharp dog and a golden as well.

Right now we have a mixed group of names. Funny that 3 are Disney characters.

Baileys (she is still alive to our dismay)
Dory (bombay)
Lilly Bear (russian blue)
Sebastian (flame point)
Alice (medium coat tortie)
Winter (sporgi- springer corgi mix)
Summer (sporgi- Winter's little sister)

All the cats are older than the kids.

Oh, boy. We had 2 mastiffs named Pinky and Brain. Lost them to age. Right now we have Stripe and Gizmo, current mastiffs. Echo is half malamute half fence jumper. Then there are the rats, mo-mo and ti-to. And the dairy goats Blaze, Cupcake and Dakota. Meat goats Janice, Abby, Neil, Pie, Muffin and Cookie. The kids and non breeding animals don't have names.

Had a Appy mare that would try to drown any animal that dared to drink her water. She took care of a bobcat problem for us.

We had a rottie/mastiff mix in FL named Chaos. He was such a sweet boy! Our first miniature schnauzer was Jolly who was being re-homed because her owner moved. Second schnauzer came from a back yard breeder up in Tampa who said she was getting out of it and I hope she did! Poor pup was sick and feverish, had never been bathed. We knew if we didn't take her, she would die. She was Stevie Rae and we had her for 7 years. She started our traveling adventure with us and loved it! After she passed, we went to a rescue in Nebraska for another schnauzer and ended up with two, Buddy and Lucy! They traveled with us for about 5 years and then had a few more years here in Mississippi with us. You can guess where we got Molly the Road Dog from. Peanut Butter has my heart now and is my profile picture! And we have Aninga, who is a Chihuahua being re-homed in this area.

Our pygmy goats are named after DH and my moms!

First dog growing up was my favorite. Grandma and grandpa got him when I was born and we finally had to put him down at 16 years old. His name was Ranger and was a German Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix.

He would bring the cows in from the field when grandpa told him to. If a chicken got out grandpa would tell him to catch the chicken and he would pin it to the ground with his paws.

I have had several dogs over the years but none have matched him.

Current dog is a blue heeler/corgi mix named Fred. That was his name so I just kept it. Very smart and well behaved.

First dog growing up was my favorite. Grandma and grandpa got him when I was born and we finally had to put him down at 16 years old. His name was Ranger and was a German Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix.

He would bring the cows in from the field when grandpa told him to. If a chicken got out grandpa would tell him to catch the chicken and he would pin it to the ground with his paws.

I have had several dogs over the years but none have matched him.

Current dog is a blue heeler/corgi mix named Fred. That was his name so I just kept it. Very smart and well behaved.

I want to see a picture of Fred, please. I have a love for corgi mixes.

The black schnauzer in my ativar is "Gypsy ". She's a rescue from our pound. She's also a wanderer and will take off in a flash if she get outside our fenced yard. The white is also a rescue and my grand daughter named "Lexie" for a character in the movie "Frozen". She's very dramatic..

my dog is Odin, we have 2 outside cats who are Lightning and Twister. Odin is 7/8 wolf and 1/8 husky, great watch dog and won't leave my side if i am outdoors!

I have a friend with a Presa Canario. That thing would kill anybody but my friend or his family.

K'Bar is a very level headed dog. Very social will even allow you to pet him. However when given the alert command or if confronted by an aggressive person. He is a completely different dog.

Bean Sidhe spends her days looking for a fight and her nights dreaming of one.

Both dogs are very gentle with children and family.

By the way do you know what breeder your friends Presa came from?

Last edited:
K'Bar is a very level headed dog. Very social will even allow you to pet him. However when given the alert command or if confronted by an aggressive person. He is a completely different dog.

Bean Sidhe spends her days looking for a fight and her nights dreaming of one.

Both dogs are very gentle with children and family.

By the way do you know what breeder your friends Presa came from?
Not at all.
He did have a friend who could at least handle the dog for when my friend and his family were away

Latest posts

Back