Pet Peeves !........

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my!! This thread could really get me wound up. Where to start?

Pet Peeve # 1: People who waddle down the middle of the traffic aisle in a parking lot. They are like geese. Nobody is out there but them. I want to pull up behind them and blast the horn.

Pet Peeve #2: People, usually Millennials, who respond to "Thank You" with the phrase "No Problem". That lights me up. The correct response is "You are Welcome".

Pet Peeve #3: This will rankle a lot of people, I know, but I had grammar beaten into me by nuns for 12 years. Ending a sentence with a preposition is wrong. It has crept into the mainstream even in the media "Where is it AT?" "I don't know where its AT?" Like fingernails on a chalkboard. Boy that dates me. "Where is it?" is sufficient. This may sound snobbish, but that's is how I feel. I'm sure Mr. Webster rolled over in his grave when AIN'T was included in the dictionary.

Pet Peeve #3: This will rankle a lot of people, I know, but I had grammar beaten into me by nuns for 12 years. Ending a sentence with a preposition is wrong. It has crept into the mainstream even in the media "Where is it AT?" "I don't know where its AT?" Like fingernails on a chalkboard. Boy that dates me. "Where is it?" is sufficient. This may sound snobbish, but that's is how I feel. I'm sure Mr. Webster rolled over in his grave when AIN'T was included in the dictionary.
I have to pile-on with this one.:mad:
For me, it's watching the slow painful death of the words: "than, their, and they're".
'Then' is used in place of than and 'there' is used for any word that sounds like it.:rolleyes:
Example:
Rather then use the correct word, there grammar is so poor, it's hard to understand what there saying.
Rather than use the correct word, their grammar is so poor, it's hard to understand what they're saying.
And don't bother to blame auto-complete.o_O
I'm living proof that auto-complete can be trained to suggest the right word.:cool:
That only leaves uneducated, lazy, or both.
U pick:D

For me, it's watching the slow painful death of the words: "than, their, and they're".
'Then' is used in place of than and 'there' is used for any word that sounds like it.:rolleyes:
Example:
Rather then use the correct word, there grammar is so poor, it's hard to understand what there saying.
Rather than use the correct word, their grammar is so poor, it's hard to understand what they're saying.
I'm living proof that auto-complete can be trained to suggest the right word.:cool:

We are sooo on the same page with this one. We could start a thread for misused words that would go on forever.

Pet Peeve # 1: People who waddle down the middle of the traffic aisle in a parking lot. They are like geese. Nobody is out there but them. I want to pull up behind them and blast the horn.

Pet Peeve #2: People, usually Millennials, who respond to "Thank You" with the phrase "No Problem". That lights me up. The correct response is "You are Welcome".

Actually it's not improper to use a preposition at the end of the sentence. That rule stems from Greek lessons and teachers (often nuns) applied it to English as well. Also, I before E except after C is not a "rule" and is only appropriate about 50% of the time. I'm not dissing proper grammar- love it actually. The one that gets me is when "that" is used as the pronoun for a person. The man that crosses the street... Should be the man who crossed the street. People are who's not that's. And @Supervisor42 if you could train my computer not to put those apostrophes in those two words, I'd greatly appreciate it

.. And @Supervisor42 if you could train my computer not to put those apostrophes in those two words, I'd greatly appreciate it
Type it right, hit spacebar and it changes it, backspace once and it fixes it, keep typing:D.

I'll use any medicine I have around before going to the doctors.

I go to the Dr to see what I need and then use what I have and label/save the new stuff for next time. That way if I CAN'T get to the Dr, I have what I need.

Well Morgan at least you forgive us. :D:Thankyou:

Example:

How about out of circulation for past 30 yeara, I did'nt use it so I lost some of it. So guess I'm somewhere between the uneducated and the lazy.:lil guy:

Pet Peeve #47.
Biting into a Hershey's with almonds candy bar and you didn't get an almond in that bite. :(

Just eat 80% of it and then take it back to the store and complain. I bet that happens a lot at Walmart. ;)

Folks on welfare that purchase a large quantity of bottled water. Then they pour the water out on the parking lot. They take the empty bottles make into the store for the refund on each bottle.

You get refunds on plastic bottles? We don't..

Folks on welfare that purchase a large quantity of bottled water. Then they pour the water out on the parking lot. They take the empty bottles make into the store for the refund on each bottle.
Wouldn't they save money if they didn't buy the water in the first place? Scratching my head over this one.

Wouldn't they save money if they didn't buy the water in the first place? Scratching my head over this one.

He is saying they get money back for the bottle. So they use food stamps/ebt to buy the water, them dump it so they can get the $0.10 or whatever per bottle back in cash.

How about out of circulation for past 30 yeara, I did'nt use it so I lost some of it. So guess I'm somewhere between the uneducated and the lazy.:lil guy:
That's ok @Meerkat apparently I don't understand that being on welfare means getting food stamps. Having never yet done either, maybe I better just MMOB.

people who walk pushing a shopping cart or riding a scooter in the middle of a isle. with no idea that other's are on the same isle.

then there's the numb skull that honks their horn as soon as the traffic light turn's green.

and there's when I'm on a exit/on ramp.maybe already going over the speed limit for it.and someone comes racing up behind me.and rides my bumper

Around here they just go to a market and trade the balance on their EBT cards for cash at half value or less. One Mom and Pop Korean market were doing more business than Walmart according to their records. They got busted and I think there was jail time given. A poker game was raided a few years ago and most of what was no the table were food stamps.

people who walk pushing a shopping cart or riding a scooter in the middle of a isle. with no idea that other's are on the same isle.

then there's the numb skull that honks their horn as soon as the traffic light turn's green.

and there's when I'm on a exit/on ramp.maybe already going over the speed limit for it.and someone comes racing up behind me.and rides my bumper

That is the definition of a New York second: the time it takes for the light to turn green, and the guy behind you to start honking his horn. It can't be measured it is so fast.

I love folks who honk! I start to accelerate and pull the choke on. They are right up against my bumper so they can't go around me as I crank the engine over with the choke closed. I push the choke open and keep cranking and the engine finally starts as the light turns red. When it turn green again they don't honk their horn and the stay back in case my car "stalls" again. I get a good laugh and they get to slow down a bit. Win/win!

I want a bumper sticker that says "If you're gonna hug it, kiss it." So not nice. @SheepDog 's method might be nicer. What kind of rig has a choke these days?

I want a bumper sticker that says "If you're gonna hug it, kiss it." So not nice. @SheepDog 's method might be nicer. What kind of rig has a choke these days?
LadyL I don't think I've seen a choke in 50 years or more. But I'm sure some vehicles still have them.

Come to think of it , I think my bus had a choke on it, pull knob out to shut it off,is that a choke?

I have three cars made before 1975. Two of them have manual chokes that I installed. The third is my wife's and she prefers the automatic choke.
The pull shut off is a fuel cut off on a diesel - not a choke. You have to have a carburetor to have a choke. New cars and diesels have fuel injection.
If you want your fuel injected engine converted to a carbureted version it will only cost around $1000 but it will never meet the emission standards afterwards.

Back