Pet Peeves !........

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 year old daughter had a play date today with a new friend. Same age friend comes over with her iPhone, Apple Watch, etc., etc. Of course my daughter got the whole "you don't have a phone!?" + "you don't have a computer in your room!?" + "you don't have your own TV!?" stuff. The girl ends up leaving early because she was soooo bored. My daughter never said a word but you can always tell that stuff drags on her. I just reminded her that was love her too much to let either of us be distracted from life by the love of electronics. Then we played a game a skip bo. Makes me want to go these parents house and spank 'em for being lazy parents.

@Amish Heart and @Sentry18 Some friends of mine had a rule in their house- at supper time, all phones were shut off and put in a basket until morning. Parents left theirs on but also went in the basket. I thought that was a good idea. If a parent needs to get a hold of the child, they have your number.

I have three cars made before 1975. Two of them have manual chokes that I installed. The third is my wife's and she prefers the automatic choke.
The pull shut off is a fuel cut off on a diesel - not a choke. You have to have a carburetor to have a choke. New cars and diesels have fuel injection.
If you want your fuel injected engine converted to a carbureted version it will only cost around $1000 but it will never meet the emission standards afterwards.

:Thankyou: for info on the bus shut off SheepD. We didn't know.:dunno:

At our house, there are no electronics at the dinner table. Dinner is for family. Also, we eat at the table and do not watch TV while we eat.
When people use their phone and ignore the people that are present it tells me I'm not important to them. I have been known to get up and leave.
The same thing goes for a business. If the phone call is more important than a customer standing in front of you then you don't need my business.

At our house, there are no electronics at the dinner table. Dinner is for family. Also, we eat at the table and do not watch TV while we eat.
When people use their phone and ignore the people that are present it tells me I'm not important to them. I have been known to get up and leave.
The same thing goes for a business. If the phone call is more important than a customer standing in front of you then you don't need my business.
I agree!

"We" have 5 decorative pillows on "our" bed.

"We" also have a large bedroom window that faces south.

Sun fades the bedcover so the wife covers the bedcover and decorative pillows with a sheet.

I make the bed and leave the decorative pillows off the bed. You can't see them so why use them? I'm wrong.

Now the wife has a small blanket on top of the sheet which is protecting the bedcover from fading. Blanket is for her cats to sleep on and prevent cat hairs collecting on the sheet which is protecting the bedcover from the sun.

My solution was to shut the lower window blinds to prevent the bedcover fading and shut the bedroom door to keep the cats out. Evidently I'm applying logic where feelings rule, wife gives me her "deer in the headlights" look.

"We" have 5 decorative pillows on "our" bed.

"We" also have a large bedroom window that faces south.

Sun fades the bedcover so the wife covers the bedcover and decorative pillows with a sheet.

I make the bed and leave the decorative pillows off the bed. You can't see them so why use them? I'm wrong.

Now the wife has a small blanket on top of the sheet which is protecting the bedcover from fading. Blanket is for her cats to sleep on and prevent cat hairs collecting on the sheet which is protecting the bedcover from the sun.

My solution was to shut the lower window blinds to prevent the bedcover fading and shut the bedroom door to keep the cats out. Evidently I'm applying logic where feelings rule, wife gives me her "deer in the headlights" look.
I learned very quickly when I was married, logic is always wrong, unless she was the one that came up with the idea...

Around here when the light turns green and the car in front doesn't go I always say "you can go on green in America."
That doesn't work if they are in aisle 3. :confused:
:p

10 year old daughter had a play date today with a new friend. Same age friend comes over with her iPhone, Apple Watch, etc., etc. Of course my daughter got the whole "you don't have a phone!?" + "you don't have a computer in your room!?" + "you don't have your own TV!?" stuff. The girl ends up leaving early because she was soooo bored. My daughter never said a word but you can always tell that stuff drags on her. I just reminded her that was love her too much to let either of us be distracted from life by the love of electronics. Then we played a game a skip bo. Makes me want to go these parents house and spank 'em for being lazy parents.
One day your daughter will look back on all these day & know how lucky & blessed she is.

One day your daughter will look back on all these day & know how lucky & blessed she is.
This. ^^^

My daughter doesn't have a phone yet either. Or a TV, or game console, etc. Why not? Because her mom and I agree - she doesn't have to have all that. It's expensive and perhaps counterproductive. I'll get her a phone eventually, but not at 13.

We got her a Chromebook because that's what her school uses. If she's got WiFi she can use that for anything a phone can do. So it's not like we're making her go Amish...still, she likes books better than electronics and I'd like to think that will serve her well someday...

Co-workers who try to sound erudite but use the wrong word. Example: using exasperate when the correct word is exacerbate.

Corollary pet peeve: equally-ignorant managers who don't realize these people aren't using the right word.

Using epicenter when you mean center. The prefix "epi" means "upon". Earthquakes have epicenters, usually referred to as a location like a city, because the center of the quake is deep underground. Viral outbreaks have centers, not epicenters.

The phrase "free gift" is redundant. If it isn't free, then it isn't a gift. "Could potentially" is also redundant.

We often hear about a "point in time" but a point is a spatial reference, not a temporal reference. Moment is a better word to use.

And lately, I've heard many people misuse the term "begs the question". People use it to mean "this situation invokes a desire to ask the following question". But to beg the question means to use the argument's premise to assume the truth of the conclusion. "Illustrate how government control of prices and wages is good for the community" begs the question that government intervention is good at all.

Co-workers who try to sound erudite but use the wrong word. Example: using exasperate when the correct word is exacerbate.

I have a buddy who's wife is a quarter short of a dollar. She always says bull-iviuos when she means oblivious. That is just one example of a MANY different words she somehow doesn't know but is convinced she does.

I have a buddy who's wife is a quarter short of a dollar. She always says bull-iviuos when she means oblivious. That is just one example of a MANY different words she somehow doesn't know but is convinced she does.
Kind of like people who say "pacific" instead of "specific" or say "axe" when they mean "ask". Drives me nuts...

How about these YaWho's that jack up their truck and don't readjust the headlights. I asked one guy about it and he said "I didn't do anything with the headlights because I can see a lot better now driving at night". Another guy just laughed. This guy also has a wife and daughter that drive small cars and YES he is a real winner!

How about these YaWho's that jack up their truck and don't readjust the headlights. I asked one guy about it and he said "I didn't do anything with the headlights because I can see a lot better now driving at night". Another guy just laughed. This guy also has a wife and daughter that drive small cars and YES he is a real winner!

Ditto that with those hyper-bright ultra-blinding headlights that even sunglasses can't stop from piecing your retinas.

On a different forum they are bashing President Trump for using rubber bullets and tear gas to move "Peaceful Protesters" so he could walk to St. John's Parish House for a. "Photo Op". I asked politely if one of the forum posters could provide a link to prove verify this claim. Most replies to my request was to insult and call me names. One Poster provide a YouTube link. The YouTube video was 2 hours long. I watched the entire video. I saw no street signs that placed the video in D.C. I saw nothing that linked the video to President Trump's walk. I saw no rubber bullets used, smoke grenades were used not tear gas. I replied to Poster what the video didn't show. I asked for evidence and I got clutter.

No you won't get evidence. Honestly, Trump has left this up to the governors from the beginning, and rightfully so. Until they ask for help. Then the guard is sent in. I'm not sure what rioters want, except free stuff at this point. Why burn down the city in which you live? Why burn down the services you have? Where are you going to buy food? When this is all over, I bet the mayors and governors ask for money to truck in food and services. And I'd like to ask BLM to explain just whose lives matter. Why is it racist to say that human lives matter? I only hear, that if I don't get it, then I have white privilege and need to change.

No you won't get evidence. Honestly, Trump has left this up to the governors from the beginning, and rightfully so. Until they ask for help. Then the guard is sent in. I'm not sure what rioters want, except free stuff at this point. Why burn down the city in which you live? Why burn down the services you have? Where are you going to buy food? When this is all over, I bet the mayors and governors ask for money to truck in food and services. And I'd like to ask BLM to explain just whose lives matter. Why is it racist to say that human lives matter? I only hear, that if I don't get it, then I have white privilege and need to change.

Most of the "Peaceful Protesters" I saw in the 2 hour video were twenty-year olds. Colleges are shut down and their parents pay the bills so no jobs are needed. "Hey! Let's go down town, Maybe we can get some free stuff!?" mentality

Latest posts

Back