1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living. We are glad you came to visit.
    Dismiss Notice

PG&E has begun cutting power across parts of Northern California

Discussion in 'News of the Day' started by Woody, Oct 9, 2019 at 8:46 AM.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 9, 2019 at 8:46 AM #1

Woody

Woody

Woody

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

First I am hearing of it. A few blog posts of folks in that area say they were first notified at 4:00 PM yesterday. Kind of a quick thing, eh?

It appears to be because of "A threat of wildfires".

PG&E has begun cutting power across parts of Northern California. Nearly 800,000 customers will be affected
    (CNN)Nearly 500,000 Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) customers in Northern California were in the dark starting at midnight Wednesday as the company began shutting off power in an effort to help prevent starting a wildfire.
    Another 300,000 will lose power later in the day, for a total of 800,000 customers affected by the shutoff, Sumeet Singh, vice president of the company's Community Wildfire Safety Program, said.
    Several school districts and a major university have canceled classes, while traffic tunnels and public transit amenities also may be affected, officials said.
    Forecasters warn that many parts of Northern California are under extreme fire weather danger, with windy and dry conditions forecast.
    "We implement this public safety power shutoff as a last resort," Singh said in a Tuesday news conference.
    It could take several days to restore power, Singh added, as the company will first conduct safety inspections once the widespread wind event is over.
    PG&E has come under criticism in recent years for the role of its equipment in a series of catastrophic wildfires across the state, including the deadly 2018 Camp Fire. The utility has agreed to pay billions of dollars in damages.

[More at link including a map of affected areas]

2. Oct 9, 2019 at 8:48 AM #2

Woody

Woody

Woody

Further down it states for 7 days! :

The power was scheduled to be shut off this week in stages, PG&E said in a Tuesday statement, "depending on local timing of the severe weather conditions, beginning with counties in the northern part of the state."
    On Monday, San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo urged residents to prepare to be without power for as long as seven days.

3. Oct 9, 2019 at 9:37 AM #3

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

It would be the perfect time for each of those customers to get set up for their own power production AND for someone to set up a business to help these folks out.

A friend of mine who lives in the Miami, Fl area told me that after one of the big hurricanes, many of the power lines were buried. Shouldn't that be happening in many places where there are ongoing power issues because of storms?

I have no idea what is happening in Puerto Rico, but I have a former student whose husband has been working on power there for well over a year, in spite of the fact that someone reported that everyone has power there now. I hope they are working on developing the infrastructure, unlike they did when they were given the money to do so several years ago. PG & E in Northern California should be re-evaluating how they send power to their customers there.

Terri9630, Bacpacker, Cnsper and 3 others like this.
  4. Oct 9, 2019 at 9:56 AM #4

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

I saw something about this also... Does it start this coming Wed. or was it last Wed.

This stinks... something else is going on... The fire danger areas are the same as they have been for decades... Yet they wait and spring this on everyone at the last minute. IT's no surprise either that these northern counties mentioned are straight up conservative or beginning to lean conservative.

Is this a relocation push? Or an attempt to drive them out of the state altogether?

5. Oct 9, 2019 at 10:09 AM #5

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Time traveler Neighbor HCL Supporter

That would be a good place to put a battery system with a charger/inverter. It could be seamless with the batteries kicking in when the power went off and charging when it came back on.

6. Oct 9, 2019 at 10:21 AM #6

phideaux

phideaux

phideaux

Spectator of Life Neighbor

That's what this does. And it is seamless.
    ups.jpg
    Honestly, I wouldn't care if my power was turned off , at least half the time. Might save some money.
    But, they would just double price of what I use.

Jim

7. Oct 9, 2019 at 10:26 AM #7

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Time traveler Neighbor HCL Supporter

Exactly right, a couple decades back CA was in another drought and asked people to cut back on water consumption. It was very effective and the accounts receivable went down so they raised the water rates.

8. Oct 9, 2019 at 1:27 PM #8

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

I cannot believe any first-world country would purposely cut the electric to a million citizens for several days straight for little reason. I find it hard to believe that would even be legal in this day and age.
    It is a good thing that I do not live there.

Sentry18, Terri9630, phideaux and 3 others like this.
  9. Oct 9, 2019 at 2:23 PM #9

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Retribution!

10. Oct 9, 2019 at 2:30 PM #10

backlash

backlash

backlash

The power company is in a no-win situation.
    If they don't cut power and they cause a fire it will cost them billions. If they do cut power they get hammered for that.
    I would choose the bad press and ticked off customers over a fire that cost me billions.
    The customers have very little choice in getting power so they can gripe and complain but they will remain customers.
    85 dead and billions in damages seems like more than a little reason.
    This might be a good reason they are cutting power.
    https://www.norcalfirelawyers.com/camp-fire/

The same thing happened to me in Seattle. Save water they begged, so we did and they lost money so they added a surcharge to the bills.

Sentry18, phideaux, Bacpacker and 3 others like this.
  11. Oct 9, 2019 at 7:57 PM #11

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

If the electric company did line maintenance they would not have to worry about fires.
    All the western states are the same and yet only in California do the electric lines cause fires and so the power has to be cut off if they think it might get windy.
    All western states are dry and windy. And I think they all have electric wires too.

camo2460, Sentry18, Woody and 5 others like this.
  12. Oct 9, 2019 at 8:04 PM #12

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

This happened in Colorado as well.

Sentry18, Woody, phideaux and 2 others like this.
  13. Oct 9, 2019 at 8:33 PM #13

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42 Neighbor

Since I almost bought some PG&E stock after it crashed when the lawsuits were announced, I can 'shed some light' (pun:D) on the situation.
    We live in a lawsuit-world today. After the wildfires, lawyers were looking for someone with 'big money' to sue.
    PG&E is the power company that supplies more than half of Californians with electric power.
    :woo hoo:Big Money!!!
    The reason I was going to buy stock in it is, power companies cannot go 'out of business' because they are a monopoly.
    Well the people in California don't understand this and have had a field day suing them:
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/p...over-costs-of-california-wildfires-2019-09-13
    When you tick off the power company, bad things happen.:eyeballs:

If we have any preppers here that live out there; y'all ain't seen nothin' yet! (yes, that is a pun for being plunged into darkness for months)

14. Oct 9, 2019 at 9:14 PM #14

Grizzleyette___Adams

Grizzleyette___Adams

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain Neighbor

While the utility company is busy with CYA protocols to avoid fires, they could be actually raising the risk of house fires (and by extension, larger fires) caused by accidents involving kerosene lanterns and candles.

The probability of accidents is huge, considering there will be 800,000 homes without electricity...

It's obvious that it is more of a CYA thing than actual real concern for fires.

If I had control over the situation, I would schedule rolling blackouts (no more than one or two days at a time) over narrow territories (NOT large swaths of land) and have helicopters patrolling the most fire-prone areas that have power on the "on" days. This business of widespread areas without power is inviting problems: no cell service (can't call 911). Hello crime, hello serious medical emergencies, etc. ad nauseum.

Weedygarden, Sentry18, Woody and 5 others like this.
  15. Oct 9, 2019 at 9:20 PM #15

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Weedygarden, Sentry18 and Woody like this.
  16. Oct 9, 2019 at 10:42 PM #16

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

True statement (though they are infecting many states).

17. Oct 10, 2019 at 8:05 AM #17

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Malinois' are awesome. Neighbor

Caribou, Supervisor42, Peanut and 4 others like this.
  18. Oct 10, 2019 at 8:51 AM #18

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

I can understand the shooting but it should all be aimed at the State Legislature

I still just cannot wrap my head around the fact that this is even happening. What about the businesses that are now all closed due to no power? What about restaurant owners who will lose all the food in their freezers?

19. Oct 10, 2019 at 9:41 AM #19

havasu

havasu

havasu

Internet Constable Staff Member Admin Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

This automatic power shutdown during high wind events is just a ploy, until California citizens vote to make the power companies immune from future lawsuits, because the last 2 decades, they have been profiting $ Billions of cash, but yet failed to maintain their power lines. I encourage it because what will happen is they are considering passing a law allowing folks to live completely off grid, which is currently illegal in California.

Sentry18, Caribou, Peanut and 3 others like this.
  20. Oct 10, 2019 at 10:36 AM #20

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Don't worry Havasu, they are all moving to Texas and Florid now so soon to be our problem not yours.

Caribou and Woody like this.
  21. Oct 10, 2019 at 10:53 AM #21

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

And Colorado.

A house in my area, a 3 story Victorian with a carriage house sold for $165K about 25 years ago, to a Californian. The man who bought it for that has since moved back to San Diego, after 3 years of living in it. He sold it for $250K, to a couple from California. Three years later, they sold it for almost $400K. (They made 1K a week for owning the house). They took their money and moved back to California! And, they sold their home to someone from California who lived in the house almost 3 years and sold it for $500K, and a year or two later, moved back to California. The couple that purchased the house for $500K are from New England originally. They spent 6 months redoing lots of things to the house--moving walls, adding bathrooms, re-doing plumbing and electrical. The house is valued at more than a million now and they have been there 15 years.

Caribou, Woody and Meerkat like this.
  22. Oct 10, 2019 at 10:55 AM #22

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Aren't there organizations out there that will be observing and noting what the reaction is to this, and may use this technique in the future for other nefarious things?

23. Oct 10, 2019 at 11:06 AM #23

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Insane!!!! Spreading inflation around like peanut butter. Wait till the market takes a dive.

I get mad at these young libs then I realize their frustrations with what the crooks are doing to their world. In some ways they do hve a point. Just mixed up terribly about the remedy.o_O

Caribou, Woody and Weedygarden like this.
  24. Oct 10, 2019 at 1:35 PM #24

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

Many people say this was done so no one could sue the electric company if there was another fire. But that electric company has already filed for bankruptcy. How much more bankrupt can they get?

I think this power outage was done on purpose for dark reasons.

angie_nrs, Caribou, Terri9630 and 4 others like this.
  25. Oct 10, 2019 at 1:58 PM #25

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

:LOL:I love a good pun! Lights OUT!
    See, here's the thing, if you have bankrupted the company and they know they won't make a dime for years, just how motivated do you think they will be to provide service?
    For what reason?
    And you can't just shop for a new electric provider at Walmart either:eyeballs:.

I can't wait until they hook up all the Generac generators only to discover the natural-gas line can't supply even a fraction of the giga-therms needed to power the place.
    Good luck with that 'carbon-friendly' electric car you bought too!

These people have brought this on themselves with their get-rich-quick lawsuit attorneys.
    One person was saying "Is this going to be the new normal?":cry:
    Yes snowflake, yes it is.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 3:52 PM
    camo2460, angie_nrs, Caribou and 4 others like this.
  26. Oct 10, 2019 at 2:00 PM #26

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke Neighbor HCL Supporter

So the State can take over the power company? That way the state gets one hundred percent of the profits...until the state runs it into the ground.

Caribou, Bacpacker, hiwall and 2 others like this.
  27. Oct 10, 2019 at 2:40 PM #27

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Sorry, the state can't even run toll-booths where people toss free money into a hopper.
    Besides if the state were to take it over, it would immediately owe over 12-Billion dollars for the lawsuits. Ah, no:oops:.

Here's a new fun fact: If the thugs in Southern California realize it is "Open Season" up north because every single alarm/home-security system is offline, it'll be a feeding frenzy.
    Who ya' gonna call?
    You know most people will bug-out, and they will leave all their 'really-nice' stuff totally defenseless:eek:.
    The thugs won't even have to worry about getting shot because this is an 'Anti-Gun' utopia:D.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 3:50 PM
    camo2460, Woody, angie_nrs and 7 others like this.
  28. Oct 10, 2019 at 4:21 PM #28

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

This is Prepper Princesses take on it. She lives in the affected area.

29. Oct 10, 2019 at 4:29 PM #29

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

What was it Mark Twain said about lawyer and polticians?
    But all kidding aside ,there are good lawyers too.

Caribou and Bacpacker like this.
  30. Oct 10, 2019 at 4:33 PM #30

backlash

backlash

backlash

The only reason anyone needs a lawyer is to protect them from other lawyers.

Woody, Caribou, Terri9630 and 3 others like this.